Killed my flash drive on V6.

I was changing into a new case and managed to physically damage my flash drive. The drives are all OK and plugged in in the same order (I think). I think I'm using v6.4 but not 100% sure. What do I need to do to get it back online? I've been away from the forum for some time as the Unraid has just been chugging away happily for 2yrs+ with out incident. 

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam

55 minutes ago, sam_roberts30 said:

I was changing into a new case and managed to physically damage my flash drive.

Do you have a backup copy of your Flash Drive safety stored on another computer?  If so, setup your new flash drive for version 6.3.X, copy the old key file to the config directory/folder on that new drive.  Install in the server and boot it up.  Follow these instructions:

https://lime-technology.com/replace-key/

I am lead to believe that it also will work if you don't have the original key file but you probably have to jump through a couple of additional hoops.  

33 minutes ago, sam_roberts30 said:

cheers buddy. I wasn't sure if i could just drop a new key in. Seemed to remember having to do something with the GUID.

Yes, your license file is linked to the flash drive's GUID. If you read the key replacement policy page it outlines the procedure to get a new license file for the new flash drive.

By the way, you said you 'damaged' the Flash Drive.  Was it just the plastic shell housing?  IF so, you can probably recover the contents of the drive.  Just stick it into a USB port and see if you can read it.  Obviously, you need to use a bit of judgement but often the working parts of the drive can survive a lot of abuse and still function.  

The old key file will be recognized and give you opportunity to transfer your license to the new USB stick.

Of a bit more concern is your array configuration. If you have a backup of your old stick since you made any configuration changes to your server, it would be good to use. But you need to be very careful if, for example, you have upsized parity and moved the old parity to the array.

On 1/29/2018 at 7:26 AM, SSD said:

The old key file will be recognized and give you opportunity to transfer your license to the new USB stick.

Of a bit more concern is your array configuration. If you have a backup of your old stick since you made any configuration changes to your server, it would be good to use. But you need to be very careful if, for example, you have upsized parity and moved the old parity to the array.

Screen shots is your friend here. Every time I make a drive change assignment, I pull up the GUI on my iPad and take a screen shot.

55 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

Screen shots is your friend here. Every time I make a drive change assignment, I pull up the GUI on my iPad and take a screen shot.

Or, schedule daily status emails. drive layouts are memorialized automatically every day, if you have an issue look in your email history, or trash <g>.

1 hour ago, sam_roberts30 said:

Cheers. I've been thinking about this. Is it possible to start a new array and bring these drives into it to copy the data into it?

If you are unsure which disk is parity, assign all disks as data and none as parity. This will allow you to see which disks have data (and if only one doesn't have data it is parity).