My pet hydra.local

Most recent edit date:  Mar, 4th, 2018.

My new build, much like the hydra, is one part old bits, and the hacked off bits only to have grown back stronger and more wild. Also, like the metaphorical comparison of unRAID (and what it offers to the user) and that of the hydra: One head is HD protection and array; another head is Docker app server; another KVM; another NAS shares -- again split off from array. It's neck.  And now this hydra has more head, ThreadRipper.

The metaphor just fits for me. 

OS at time of building:  6.4.1 Stable

OS Current: 6.7.2
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

Heatsink:  Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME-X399-A , BIOS 0407 (at build), Running BIOS 1002
RAM: 128GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz  ,  (2x)  HX426C16FBK4/64
Case: AZZA Solano 1000R
Drive Cage(s):  (2x) ICY DOCK 5 Bay 3.5 SATA HotSwap
Power Supply: Antec 900W HCG

SATA Expansion Card(s):  LSI Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i
Parity Drive:  4TB Western Digital "gold"  WDC WD4002FYYZ-01B7CB1
Array Disk1:  3TB Western Digital "red"    WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

Array Disk2:  3TB Western Digital "red"    WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

Array Disk3:  3TB Western Digital "red"    WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

Array Disk4:  4TB Western Digital "red"    WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0

Array Disk5:  4TB Western Digital "gold"  WDC WD4002FYYZ-01B7CB0

Array Disk6:  4TB Western Digital "blue"  WDC WD40E31X

Array Disk7:  3TB Western Digital "red"  

Cache Drive0: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Cache Drive1: 120GB OCZ-VERTEX460A SSD

Cache Drive2: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Total Hard Drive Array Capacity: 24TB

Total Cache Drive Array Capacity: 870GB  (JBOD, not protected storage)

Primary Use: To be my, "Fort Kick Ass." Gaming and mucking around with VMs; secondary protected data storage, nas functionaly, application server notes (wiki), handbrake, BT. 
Likes:  I Linux distro powerful enough to do everything I wanted out of my computer, but easy enough for me a relative linux newb could use it.
Dislikes:  I'll have to come back to this one (even as a 2-year user).  Yes, there can be, and often are some limited functionality of VMs, but that's not unRAIDs or dev's fault -- just the state of Linux technology, and microcode. First time I tried to touch Linux was in '98, what we have now . . . omg, NO complaints! LOL :D It's also more fun to accept the VMs quarks as a hobbyist than to tank the server, especially with the gains in protected storage. 

Plugins Installed:  Community Applications; Dynamix Active Streams, File Integrity, Local Master, Scheules, SSD TRIM, System Information, System Statistics; Fix Common Problems; Nerd Tools; Unassigned Devies, unBALANCE

Docker Containers:  couchpotato, Sonarr, DokuWiki, Dolphin, dupeGuru, Handbrake, Netdata, RDP-Calibre, Transmission, Storj, QDirStat
Future Plans: Going to get a VIVE-pro it will work on the VM. :) Case was chosen for the nine external 5.25" bays, so as time progresses the plan is to add 1-2 more of the drive bays for a total of 15 drives. If I get this full, the SSDs will be moved down to the bottom area where there is space of two more internal 5.25" bays. For port expansion I have the card, and my thought was to get an Intel RES2CV360 RAID Expander. The documenation on the SAS card says it can support like 64 devices, but just has the ports for 8, so I thought why not this direction?   Updated HBA instead . No, seriously, if anyone knows if this will not work, I'll like to hear it. Answered, thank you. The Intel device just looks like SAS port replicator board, and has nothing to do with RAID protocol. 

POWER USAGE: 

Edit1: Just got power meter as of, Febuary ninth, so I now have values. Instantaneous readings/values, not avg over time.

Boot (peak):  161.3 W
Idle (avg):

• VM off:  149-153 W
  • GPU VM On:  134-136 W

Active (avg):

• Running STEEP in VM: 330-360 W
  • vm idle (12 threads), 12 thread Handbrake trans-code: 300-330 W
  • STEEP and continuation of Handbrake trans-code: 450-475 W

Light use (avg):

## To be filled in later ##

Thank you Lime-Tech developers and community developers who put in their time and expertise. I've been a very satisfied user, you all do good work.

20180128_183553.jpg

20180128_183614.jpg

20180128_183620.jpg

20180128_183635.jpg

20180128_183653.jpg

20180128_183718.jpg

EDIT0:   Been lurking a lot more on forums last month or two, came to conclusion that I under-utilize my cache on  user shares. Added 500GB Samsung EVO to my cache pool, now reporting 870GB.  Changed some user shares to include cache pool, which I had previously excluded use before.  Next task, I need to finish cabling, drive cables are a mess and need to be redone.  Next technical task, is try moving the LSI card back up in the PCIe slots, get working; then source a gpu card for player2, since previous card went to friend - current thought was to use the old Radeon 6800 as concept proxy, seeing how it hardly gets used. Still need to go shopping for a Killer-Watt.

EDIT1:  New SAS HBA is installed, another drive enclosure added. Upgraded parity drive from a WD blue to a WD gold drive, once the new parity drive was swapped, I added the old blue drive to the array for more storage. The parity check time from blue to gold cut about four hours off.  Also got a GTX1050 to start testing a second VM, since that seems to be issue on Threadrippers, still. Although first boot with a simple GTX1050 has been very positive (ie its working). 

Edited by Jcloud
I was bored, updated to reflect current running setup.

Nice build, I've done the same as you, I came to the realisation a while back that rather than building a new server every few years I'd rather get mine to evolve......

So settled on HBA cards, port expanders, case, drives and 6 x 5 in 3 caddies.  Finally upgraded the brains this year with new CPUs/Mobo/RAM

The expander I'm using is this RES2SV240, only cost about £56 and works well with my Dell Perc H310 card.  @johnnie.black posted about it in the Good Deals forum and recommended it.

I may be wrong, but I try to leave any SSDs on the Mobo drive controller as I believe that supports TRIM whereas the Dell and Intel do not.

Are you dual linking it CHBMB?  I've been thinking about going this route, but the larger Intel expander is too expensive, and I wasn't sure the smaller one would work single-linked...if it is dual linked then the number of ports becomes a sticking point (4 or 16 drives).  I'm just not sure how the math works out for spinners and single vs dual

5 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Finally upgraded the brains this year with new CPUs/Mobo/RAM

Exactly what this is. :) Six years on my last combo, although I was on my second mobo. Probably could have ran my old system for another year, but Threadripper came out and boy did I have an itch that couldn't to be scratched! 

SSDs are on the motherboard, was planning on keeping the SAS card just hard drives. I should redo the cabling for all my sata cables; that's about when I got impatient with myself and just wanted it on. System is on, phone's flash washed it out.

2 minutes ago, Tybio said:

Are you dual linking it CHBMB?  I've been thinking about going this route, but the larger Intel expander is too expensive, and I wasn't sure the smaller one would work single-linked...if it is dual linked then the number of ports becomes a sticking point (4 or 16 drives).  I'm just not sure how the math works out for spinners and single vs dual

Yeah I'm dual linking it.  So I have:

10 motherboard SATA ports,

1 x H310 = 8 ports,

1 x H310 with Expander = 16 ports

My case only holds 30 drives so I'm not using all the ports.

The expander I've mounted on the bottom of my case and is powered with a Molex, rather than mounting in a PCI-E slot.

5 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

The expander I've mounted on the bottom of my case and is powered with a Molex, rather than mounting in a PCI-E slot.

Now you have my attention, and blew my mind. Not on the PCI-E slot? Time for me to go look at the specifications. :) I'd prefer keep my slots for GPU's. 

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, the Intel expander can be power bu the PCIe slot or a molex connector:

Yeah, I'm reading the Intel's documentation now. Just saw the pci port on it, and I assumed it needed that for some reason (I.E. not an optional feature) -- although I was coming up blank for what that reason would be. 

Edited by Jcloud
33 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, obviously this limit will only be noticed when all disks are used simultaneously.

Indeed, so only during checks or rebuilds etc.  I'm thinking my next server will have 15 drives in the array max, and the Cache/extra drives will go on the MB controller...so this solution would save me from getting a big LSI, or two of the smaller ones.  Then I can dual link it and have no limitation in the chain (Not that it would really matter much!)

Thanks for the info

Just got my power meter from Amazon today. Took some quick readings. Honestly surprised by the numbers I was betting on twice as much over all.  Makes me wonder what my old 3930K power draw was, I would test but a friend is using it so that's out.  Also just got a new-to-me replacement HBA from @TUMS, also discovered TUMS and I are about an hour apart. I'm still floored, honestly how many unRAID users could there be in Idaho? That's like being 1-step away, on Seven steps to Kevin Bacon. :)

I haven't installed the card yet. it's my Friday, I finished work, and I refuse to do my job, even in the name of geek-dum , on a Friday evening. Power plug and a reboot yes, card swap even so trivial nah. ;)

20180209_194239.jpg

Just got my power meter from Amazon today. Took some quick readings. Honestly surprised by the numbers I was betting on twice as much over all.  Makes me wonder what my old 3930K power draw was, I would test but a friend is using it so that's out.  Also just got a new-to-me replacement HBA from [mention=61839]TUMS[/mention], also discovered TUMS and I are about an hour apart. I'm still floored, honestly how many unRAID users could there be in Idaho? That's like being 1-step away, on Seven steps to Kevin Bacon.

I haven't installed the card yet. it's my Friday, I finished work, and I refuse to do my job, even in the name of geek-dum , on a Friday evening. Power plug and a reboot yes, card swap even so trivial nah.

20180209_194239.thumb.jpg.496fc9b5c36b97665c46d3582a87c948.jpg
I found out another Unraider lived a five minute drive from my house.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I feed it leafy green things and it grew. Second graphics card just to test multiple gpu VMs, yup working ... semi-disappointed a number of people in forums having problems with Threadripper and multiple gpu's; sorta wanted to help look for the 'silver-bullet' instead, either my bios is correctly configured with all the tweaks, OR I picked a good board. Also, should remain quiet for the irony-faeries not to strike at me, after all VM2 run-time is so far in minutes. :D

20180304_164149.jpg

20180304_164128.jpg

On 3/4/2018 at 7:53 PM, Jcloud said:

I feed it leafy green things and it grew. Second graphics card just to test multiple gpu VMs, yup working ... semi-disappointed a number of people in forums having problems with Threadripper and multiple gpu's; sorta wanted to help look for the 'silver-bullet' instead, either my bios is correctly configured with all the tweaks, OR I picked a good board. Also, should remain quiet for the irony-faeries not to strike at me, after all VM2 run-time is so far in minutes. :D

20180304_164149.jpg

20180304_164128.jpg

Still going well with the second graphics card? I am thinking of mimicing your cpu/mobo combo for my new build...

15 hours ago, NotYetRated said:

Still going well with the second graphics card? I am thinking of mimicing your cpu/mobo combo for my new build...

So far Okay, but I've been down with the flu last week, this week just been getting caught up with my employment (and I'm getting a secondary cold/flu)  so I haven't really had the energy to really stress the second gpu-vm;  I'll try and report back this weekend about stability. So far it's been mostly idle and the VM has gone asleep on me, but it has woken out of sleep without issue. 

EDIT: the one thing I don't like about the motherboard, is the layout of PCIe 16x slots, I would much rather have them spaced like the Taichi board (even distribution) but I ended up choosing this board because of user reviews on the Taichi boards and crappy fox-con socket. I did talk to another community member with the Taichi board with Fox-con socket, sounded like it was a bit of a pain but do-able. (Just FYI)

Edited by Jcloud
3 hours ago, Jcloud said:

So far Okay, but I've been down with the flu last week, this week just been getting caught up with my employment (and I'm getting a secondary cold/flu)  so I haven't really had the energy to really stress the second gpu-vm;  I'll try and report back this weekend about stability. So far it's been mostly idle and the VM has gone asleep on me, but it has woken out of sleep without issue. 

EDIT: the one thing I don't like about the motherboard, is the layout of PCIe 16x slots, I would much rather have them spaced like the Taichi board (even distribution) but I ended up choosing this board because of user reviews on the Taichi boards and crappy fox-con socket. I did talk to another community member with the Taichi board with Fox-con socket, sounded like it was a bit of a pain but do-able. (Just FYI)

Good to note on that board, thanks. I'll struggle when the time comes, as Ill need a solid board, but want dual graphics cards, a slot for a drive controller, probably a USB controller and an ethernet card. Dual slot graphics cards killing some slots kill that possibility!

On 3/9/2018 at 2:00 PM, NotYetRated said:

Good to note on that board, thanks. I'll struggle when the time comes, as Ill need a solid board, but want dual graphics cards, a slot for a drive controller, probably a USB controller and an ethernet card. Dual slot graphics cards killing some slots kill that possibility!

Here's the Mobo company overview page so you can see what I mean, but on your description (and depending on sockets) you may be just fine.  As you can see the Taichi X399  has a cleaner layout for PCIe 16x, but PRIME board is a bit more versatile for PCIX sockets. For your reference the community member I messaged was, @jspence27 if you wanted to ask him specifics on the Taichi board.

Edit: 3/10:  

Second gpu-vm been running well, no crashes. Worst experience was lost of audio (through VC/hdmi) after the VM went into hibernate, a reboot in the Guest-OS (Win10) fixed that. Shortly after, actually configured Windows correctly (no hibernate, sleep, temp file).  For sh#!$ and giggles started an Arch distro with VNC, with the other two VM's running. The motherboard has been quite cooperative with me. *knock on wood* 

Edited by Jcloud
1 hour ago, NotYetRated said:

Sweet! Thanks for all the details! Pushed any gaming yet? 

You're welcome. 

On  VM1 which has the 1070, yeah I just did the GTA5 campaign, again,  from start to finish on this mobo so call that 35-40 hrs? Also STEEP and ARK.  GTA and STEEP I play at both 4K and 2K (been playing 2K for more fps and ultra eye candy.  VM1 is definitely stable in my book. VM2 has run some Movies on VLC and behaved itself idle and in use for a few days now. Running Valley benchmark on vm2 it runs as well as I would expect a GTX1050.

Here's a copy of my IOMMU groups (acs over-ride is on); if anyone wonders how it breaks up presently. 

IOMMU group 0:	[1022:1452] 00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 1:	[1022:1453] 00:01.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 2:	[1022:1453] 00:01.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 3:	[1022:1452] 00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 4:	[1022:1452] 00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 5:	[1022:1453] 00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 6:	[1022:1452] 00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 7:	[1022:1452] 00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 8:	[1022:1454] 00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
IOMMU group 9:	[1022:1452] 00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 10:	[1022:1454] 00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
IOMMU group 11:	[1022:790b] 00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 59)
[1022:790e] 00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
IOMMU group 12:	[1022:1460] 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 0
[1022:1461] 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 1
[1022:1462] 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 2
[1022:1463] 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 3
[1022:1464] 00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 4
[1022:1465] 00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 5
[1022:1466] 00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric Device 18h Function 6
[1022:1467] 00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 7
IOMMU group 13:	[1022:1460] 00:19.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 0
[1022:1461] 00:19.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 1
[1022:1462] 00:19.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 2
[1022:1463] 00:19.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 3
[1022:1464] 00:19.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 4
[1022:1465] 00:19.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 5
[1022:1466] 00:19.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric Device 18h Function 6
[1022:1467] 00:19.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Data Fabric: Device 18h; Function 7
IOMMU group 14:	[1022:43ba] 01:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] X399 Series Chipset USB 3.1 xHCI Controller (rev 02)
IOMMU group 15:	[1022:43b6] 01:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] X399 Series Chipset SATA Controller (rev 02)
IOMMU group 16:	[1022:43b1] 01:00.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] X399 Series Chipset PCIe Bridge (rev 02)
IOMMU group 17:	[1022:43b4] 02:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
IOMMU group 18:	[1022:43b4] 02:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
IOMMU group 19:	[1022:43b4] 02:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
IOMMU group 20:	[1022:43b4] 02:03.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
IOMMU group 21:	[1022:43b4] 02:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
IOMMU group 22:	[1022:43b4] 02:09.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 300 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 02)
IOMMU group 23:	[8086:1539] 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
IOMMU group 24:	[1b21:2142] 08:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 2142
IOMMU group 25:	[1000:0064] 09:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2116 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Meteor] (rev 02)
IOMMU group 26:	[10de:1c81] 0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] (rev a1)
IOMMU group 27:	[10de:0fb9] 0a:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 28:	[1022:145a] 0b:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145a
IOMMU group 29:	[1022:1456] 0b:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Platform Security Processor
IOMMU group 30:	[1022:145c] 0b:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) USB 3.0 Host Controller
IOMMU group 31:	[1022:1455] 0c:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1455
IOMMU group 32:	[1022:7901] 0c:00.2 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
IOMMU group 33:	[1022:1457] 0c:00.3 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) HD Audio Controller
IOMMU group 34:	[1022:1452] 40:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 35:	[1022:1452] 40:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 36:	[1022:1452] 40:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 37:	[1022:1453] 40:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe GPP Bridge
IOMMU group 38:	[1022:1452] 40:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 39:	[1022:1452] 40:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 40:	[1022:1454] 40:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
IOMMU group 41:	[1022:1452] 40:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
IOMMU group 42:	[1022:1454] 40:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
IOMMU group 43:	[10de:1b81] 41:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] (rev a1)
IOMMU group 44:	[10de:10f0] 41:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 45:	[1022:145a] 42:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145a
IOMMU group 46:	[1022:1456] 42:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Platform Security Processor
IOMMU group 47:	[1022:145c] 42:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) USB 3.0 Host Controller
IOMMU group 48:	[1022:1455] 43:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1455
IOMMU group 49:	[1022:7901] 43:00.2 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)

Turning off memory encryption, not quite what it's called, seems to work a bit faster without it.  Ready to buy the motherboard yet? :P Or do you want any other info bits to entice you? lol  Seriously, all-in-all, this setup has been rather drama free. I had tried a much older video card before, and had problems, but from what I'm seeing now I would say the fault lies with the really old video card. There is a newer BIOS, but based on the the three word description, "added nvme raid" I'm holding for now. 

The game controller is a Logitech F310, and I've been able to pass it around as a usb device (couldn't say that for my old socket 2011 board).  I haven't tried to lock down a USB port to a VM yet, so guestOS can PnP, so that's on a to-muck with later list. Haven't tried three gpu-vm's yet either; anyone care to sponsor a VC? LOL .... "Shu! Right! And Monkey's might fly out of my butt!" -- Wayne's World. ;)