My pet hydra.local

Simple experiment, I moved my HBA card and GTX1050 around in slots, just to make sure that wasn't funky. Works perfectly, as it bloody should! HA. At this point the real test would be to move the HBA up one slot, against the GTX1070, and then a third video card in the HBA's current slot.  

Also updated onto 6.5.0-rc6 to look at the vm webgui improvements. I like the new version of noVNC. The added vbios rom file entry -- VERY NICE! :D

EDIT: Total fopa, made two changes at once. It's happened three times now getting intermittent audio distortions in VM1. No errors in unRAID logs so peculiar -- going to have to watch that for a while. 

EDIT2: 3-16-2018: Haven't heard the audio distortions since EDIT1, odd, but I'll take it.

20180312_212925aa.thumb.jpg.604cbf69aa7791b1c780228e6d68342e.jpg

Edited by Jcloud
More info

Just tested capturing USB ports to a VM based on this guide it works. :) Using this and a USB hub to turn 1 port into X, and it's all a VM needs for plug-n-play tech.

If anyone cares for my crib-notes:

Run following commands in command line:
lsusb
lspci | grep USB
readlink /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb*

Excerpt from “11b” solution from forum:

You then have to modify some parts of it to get it to work. The good thing is that you do not have to care about which bus and address it's supposed to have in the VM. You only need to find out the host PCI address.
The part you change is bus, slot and function. In your case it's 00:14.0.
Let's brake it down.
00 is the bus. You simply exchange the two numbers after the 0x.
14 is the slot. Same method as above.
0 is the function. Her it's also the same method as above.
So in your case the full device tag would be like this:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x14' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>

Example I made for myself:

root@localhost:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 045e:0084 Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 045e:07b9 Microsoft Corp.
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 046d:c21d Logitech, Inc. F310 Gamepad [XInput Mode]
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 28de:1102
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 174c:2074 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1074 High-Speed hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
----------------------------------------------------------
    |
    |
    \-------->    Bus 00Y Device 002: ID 174c:2074 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1074 High-Speed hub
                       ---

root@localhost:~# readlink /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb*
../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1
../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2
../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:05:00.0/usb3
../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:05:00.0/usb4
../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:06:00.0/usb5
../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:06:00.0/usb6
----------------------------------------------------------
    |
    |
    \-------->    ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.X/Domain:Bus:Slot.function/usbY
                                                        ---                            ---
                                                        -/\
                                                        -||
                                                        -\/
                                                       ---
                  ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.X/0000:05:00.0/usb3
                  ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.X/0000:05:00.0/usb4
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                      /\
                      ||   {  X == 0   Y == 3 && 4
                      \/   {  X == 1   Y == 5 && 6 
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:05:00.0/usbY

I was asked on another thread for a breakout of the usb ports, regarding their bus and controllers for pass-through. Here is probably best place for me to spam long details. Also asked if the PCIe-1x slot had it's own IOMMU group, tried to find out using an e-sata card ... with a Marvel chip set. DOH!  Seg faulted emhttp so hard. Thought I had recorded the results, while I was in the fault, but I can't find output (which I thought I saved to the flash drive). I'll have to try the experiment again later.

USB breakout Prime-X399-A.jpg

Edited by Jcloud
Edited and replaced picture, mistake was pointed out to me
  • Like 1
On 3/17/2018 at 2:02 PM, Jcloud said:

Also asked if the PCIe-1x slot had it's own IOMMU group, tried to find out using an e-sata card ... with a Marvel chip set. DOH!  Seg faulted emhttp so hard. Thought I had recorded the results, while I was in the fault, but I can't find output (which I thought I saved to the flash drive). I'll have to try the experiment again later.

Yes, the PCIe-1x slot has it's own IOMMU group -- FYI, for those who are keeping score at home.

root@HYDRA:~# lspci | grep -i wire
06:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192CE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

IOMMU group 24:	[10ec:8178] 06:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192CE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Successfully able to provision the card to a VM; seen device in Device Manager with driver; and saw my wifi network, but didn't really test the card as it's a known defective card (it was the only hardware I could find, and borrow, without spending. Not a great test card, but it checked and proved for the functionality in question, so good enough.iommu_pcie1x.thumb.JPG.35491a0386350fb60cecceed19d1dd12.JPG

Edited by Jcloud

Thanks so much for tinkering at my request - this has made thread a great source of info for potential users of this board. 

Some FYIs you might want to know of..

New BIOS for mobo from 2018/03/02 https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-X399-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Potential issue with Samsung 840/850 for cache - https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/70053-allow-different-starting-block-for-cache/  (I have this drive too!)

TLDR: VR setup is trivial - just pass a USB3 controller to VM first, and the guest VM uses that for head-set via normal pnp. 

HTC finally announced pre-orders for the VIVE-PRO, I so wanted the head-set ... until I saw the price. To be fair, I still want the head-set. ;)

However the VIVE did go down, and I found myself in this state:  Jolly candy-like button

Standard shipping and few days of life later; computer and kuality desk moved to larger room.  Only two unRAID tasks required for working VR: passed through an USB3.0 port(s) to VM for PnP setup of drivers in Windows; second, ran out of space on my VM image file, was 35GB, ran (with vm off):

qemu-img resize /mnt/cache/domains/MyVM/vdisk1.img 50G

After restarting VM just had to go into Windows Disk Manager and resize the NTFS volume.  Now to just clean up the house for niece and nephew - I'm the cool uncle I let them play video games, and they don't have to share. ;)  As far as the VIVE goes, I understand the screen-door effect I've read and heard elsewhere.  I like it, but wide angle peripheral view was blurry for me, granted its optics still need play with depth for optimal focal point.

Next project will be to work on running the head-set cable along the ceiling pulley or lanyards.

Capture.JPG

20180329_221235.jpg

4 hours ago, methanoid said:

Very nice setup... But the cool Uncle definitely needs to become the cool Cable-Managed Uncle :-D

HA! Yeah things got messy after I had to move the two stations around because the 15' DP cable I bought was bad (video artifacts), and I really wanted to get the system going so mess was made to support use of 5' DP cable I found in a closet.  And if you think the desk is messy, I'm afraid to show off the house. :\ lol  Uncle Cloud has Canonball-run of spring cleaning to do.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, methanoid said:

@Jcloud, finally took the plunge and ordered same mobo and 1950x.    To make it a smooth swap can I ask what you have changed from default on the BIOS and also on the SysLinux config (any TR specific fixes like the Ryzen needed C states on/off I forgot which!) ?

I tried to take pictures of the bios before, they came out unusable; I'll try again tonight after work.   Not much in syslinux, I did disable global C-states but I don't think I had to. I did make a number of tweaks in bios, so I'm thinking pictures will be easier than trying to write instructions. 

I hope the mobo and TR treat you as well as it has been treating me. :D  . . . Feeling a bit of "Johnny-on-the-spot," being the singular documented instance of this combo (that I know of, off-hand). 

Edited by Jcloud
23 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

I hope the mobo and TR treat you as well as it has been treating me. :D  . . . Feeling a bit of "Johnny-on-the-spot," being the singular documented instance of this combo (that I know of, off-hand). 

I actually have the 1950x and x399-a prime also (taichi was out of stock).   Rock solid after cstate disable.   I'm even overclocked too.   I'll post my bios info this weekend when I can go back offline for the record also.

Edited by fmp4m
  • Like 2
Just now, fmp4m said:
22 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

I actually have the 1050x and x399-a prime also (taichi was out of stock).   Rock solid after cstate disable.   I'm even overclocked too.   I'll post my bios info this weekend when I can go back offline for the record also.

Sweet, honestly that does make me feel better  -- IE "I'm not a fluke!" Okay I am one IRL but not in this instance. ;)

LMAO! Nice.  Yes I have potential; I'm AMP'ed up in my work; I some times sense resistance from others; and if you push my buttons I squeal.

"I see your potential."

Cross me the wrong way and I might just blow a fuse. 

Stop, this is starting to Hertz. 

When I meditate, "OOOOhhmm."

Edited by Jcloud

Sorry about the file sizes, the pictures are already grainy and I don't have any good imag20180419_185410.thumb.jpg.0bd847191fee7d744811d9aedb0b0436.jpg20180419_185324.thumb.jpg.e4f7ea9803ec1bc0c532b385fcf61ce7.jpg20180419_185216.thumb.jpg.ec9749fafd96794ccd147fe24323f9ce.jpg20180419_185140.thumb.jpg.a7b83bcced390075a25de218cde67853.jpg20180419_185044.thumb.jpg.c36c37d2b68e671300621860cc616530.jpg20180419_185644.thumb.jpg.3df244343e899623eec21e16ef996b78.jpg20180419_185808.thumb.jpg.c17cdfe97ec95e2124a66d6704275f95.jpge tools presently. 

I forgot the syslinux I'll put that on tonight. Not that much in it for TR is all I've done, and again, I'm not 100% sure I really needed this line -- I added it after reading the forums, but my system seemed fine to me at the time. 

GO file:

#This line before emhttp line 
/usr/local/sbin/zenstates --c6-disable

Edited by Jcloud
more info - what's in my go file
  • Like 1
On 19/04/2018 at 11:18 PM, fmp4m said:

I actually have the 1950x and x399-a prime also (taichi was out of stock).   Rock solid after cstate disable.   I'm even overclocked too.   I'll post my bios info this weekend when I can go back offline for the record also.

You should also share your OC settings in this thread.. which is becoming a mine of useful info now

11 hours ago, methanoid said:

You should also share your OC settings in this thread.. which is becoming a mine of useful info now

I plan to,   I'm running at 4ghz stable right now.

:::: place holder for my bios info tonight ::::

I have to plan my shutdowns due to my uses :)

only things different than jcloud is I run 32gb ram for now (crucial), and a liqtech 280 liquid cooler in a norco 16bay case.

4.0ghz stable at 28o idle and 36-42o load (2 VM's with loads of dockers)

cpu.png26 Cmb.png33 Cfan.png937 rpm (30%)

modprobe it87 force_id=0x8732

for sensors and fan control plugin.

Only fans I hear is my 4 stock norco's that I haven't replaced.  They're hardwired.

180422213219.BMP

180422213203.BMP

180422213124.BMP

180422213117.BMP

180422213030.BMP

180422213026.BMP

180422213019.BMP

Sim04ghz_setting.txt

Edited by fmp4m
added bios info
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, fmp4m said:

I plan to,   I'm running at 4ghz stable right now

A request, please, if you have temps and/or fan speeds (if you see this in time, not worried if you don't).

Also what's your RAM modules you're using? I'm assuming something of higher speed rating then my Kingstons? -- I did go pretty low on that, as I'm not an avid OC'er.

I run at stock clocks. Temp was 33-34C and main cpu fan reported ~682rpm (from temp plugin)

Edited by Jcloud
On 3/22/2018 at 4:29 AM, methanoid said:

Potential issue with Samsung 840/850 for cache - https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/70053-allow-different-starting-block-for-cache/  (I have this drive too!)

So, I'm digging up an old subject (can't wait for @fmp4m details, should be cool :) ) , I addressed that issue.

My Samsung SSD drives were out of alignment. Now stupid me (okay, just not thinking of the grand-context), didn't think to benchmark before and after's. I mean seriously? That would have been interesting data, right?  Being the Linux noob I am, I asked, one check starting block location?  Dnoyeb was nice enough to deal with my ignorance. ;) and gave me these instructions:

SSH into the unraid, then run the command "parted /dev/sdx"  where x = the drive sdx is your drive's address.

once in there run "print" to see a list of the partitions, then run the following command

align-check opt n

Where n = the partition you want to check, will probably be 1.

It'll tell you if your alignment is right..  When you do the print, it'll tell you what sector you're starting on.

My solution to that was making a gparted live-disk on a USB; shutdown my box and swap thumb-drives; then spent the next three hours (mostly waiting) shifting the partitions over 1MB. :D  Good news is no data loss, and drive now shown as aligned. 

3 hours ago, Jcloud said:

A request, please, if you have temps and/or fan speeds (if you see this in time, not worried if you don't).

Also what's your RAM modules you're using? I'm assuming something of higher speed rating then my Kingstons? -- I did go pretty low on that, as I'm not an avid OC'er.

I run at stock clocks. Temp was 33-34C and main cpu fan reported ~682rpm (from temp plugin)

Added bios info, pics, speeds, temps, as well as hw profile. 

Let me know if you need more info :)

(P.s. F12 in bios takes screenshots and saves to flash drive)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, fmp4m said:

Microcenter has SSD on sale.... It's worth replacing.

Yeah I work for a computer repair shop.  The good news is, I can buy my parts at a good price (assuming the distributor didn't hose the store); the bad news is, I'm surrounded by pretty shinny things I constantly want to buy.

.... Like this 500gb Samsung EVO 860 drive, sitting on my desk, and charged to my store account about 10 minutes ago. More I think about it I should have sprung for the 1TB (good price when thinking in scale), but it's more cash then I'm wanting to spend presently.

If UPS delivery just dropped the package on my doorstep (50/50 chance around here); I should have my returned-RMA tonight. Hopefully, after work, it is:

1. Two drive installs.
  2. rsync data onto returned drive  - WD 3TB Red.
  3. Verify data good then:
  4. Nuke the WD 4TB Gold (original replacement for the RMA'ed drive) and go duel parity as I'm not in the need for array size I do have.  Duel parity should be fun to mess with, but knowing Limetech stuff it will just work, and my fun will last all of five-ten minutes. :)

Then it's onto my next personal computer challenge: Running entirely on Linux VM's for month of May, perhaps longer. Last night I decided Windows 8 & 10 vm's are too easy for me to setup on unRAID. After 27 years of Microsoft Windows, I'm tired of their $*&%, and decided I hate Windows. I thought certain revisions got better, but really, I just hate each version for different reasons. ;) Windows, to me, has become Whack-a-mole of dislikes. Only thing that really keeps me on Windows is video games, and I've been playing less with each passing year. I'm running out of excuses to stay in the M$ camp.

Now I've done Linux VM's, with VNC, easy enough, but this challenge is about replacing Windows (or my main VM) so that means:

• Video card pass-through and driver/hw acceleration  -- Mostly done (sound issues with gaming) Does nvidia drivers suck that badly in Linux? 
  • Sound / multimedia capable  -- done? Steam games a bit squiffy, still.
  • browser. -- 2x done (easy Firefox and Chromium)
  • equivalent utilities for daily use -- mostly done, I want OpenOffice (I don't like Libre's menu layout, as similar as it is)
  • Steam -- done.
  • pass-through of unRAID user share to VM -- NOT WORKING, AND STILL TROUBLESHOOTING! 
  • QEMU-guest-agent -- done (forgot this, and is really important for daily-use VM)

I started last night, I already have two distro's up and running with my GPUs; granted they were the only two that I could get to boot too. The GTX1050 has Manjaro 17.1.8 Xfce and the GTX1070 has Mint 18.3 Slyvia Xfce. Years ago, before turn of century, I tried GNOME and KDE with each there were aspects I liked but didn't care for either, made me biased, for those wondering why Xfce. 

Edited by Jcloud
19 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

pass-through of unRAID user share to VM -- NOT WORKING, AND STILL TROUBLESHOOTING! 

I daily drive mint and debian VM's. Don't bother trying to do pass through, just connect smb/cifs. It'll be just as fast, and easier to get running.

Create the folder you want to use as the attachment point, and add the following to your fstab file

//unraid/share     /mount/point/folder    cifs    file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,_netdev,username=unraiduser,password=selfevident,uid=1000,gid=1000    0    0

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I daily drive mint and debian VM's. Don't bother trying to do pass through,

Thank you Sir for the tip, and my desk thanks you for less dents caused from my forehead.I'm curious, do you know which distro's that feature is prime for?