Used to be able to login as "root" on web terminal, but now I can't?

tmchow

After I upgraded to 6.4, I noticed the new web terminal feature. Super slick and it worked no problem for me... until today.  I'm not getting a window that tells me "login incorrect' then bails.  I'm logging in as root.

This worked fine yesterday so not sure what happened... my credentials didn't change.  Any ideas?

Looking at the logs, i see this:

Jan 28 21:18:57 Tower login[15600]: ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/8'

Again, this used to work before so not sure why root login is denied now.

Edited by tmchow
  • 3 weeks later...

Very possibly. If you really want to run that many at once, I'd advise not using the plugin, rather use the patched script at the command line and use screen sessions to manage them. Much cleaner.

However... I've seen multiple people have issues running that many preclears at once, I wouldn't be surprised if your server falls over or freezes at some point with that many running.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem, I can access with SSH but if I open the web terminal I get this error in the log

Mar 30 22:27:58 MediaCenter login[30658]: ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/9'
Mar 30 22:28:13 MediaCenter login[30785]: ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/8'

Same issue in chrome and firefox, all I did between working and not working was to create a win 10 VM

7 hours ago, L0rdRaiden said:

I have the same problem, I can access with SSH but if I open the web terminal I get this error in the log

Mar 30 22:27:58 MediaCenter login[30658]: ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/9'
Mar 30 22:28:13 MediaCenter login[30785]: ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/8'

Same issue in chrome and firefox, all I did between working and not working was to create a win 10 VM

You have too many ptys open.  Apparently each qemu (VM) uses one up to provide a serial console to the VM.  You likely have some combo of 8 total VMs+web terminals+preclears running.  Other than closing some of them, the other option would be to allow more ptys to be used for a root login by appending lines like

pts/8
pts/9
pts/10
pts/11

etc. into /etc/securetty.

Removing /etc/securetty entirely also accomplishes this, but I don't claim to understand the security implications (if any) of doing this.

5 hours ago, psm321 said:

You have too many ptys open.  Apparently each qemu (VM) uses one up to provide a serial console to the VM.  You likely have some combo of 8 total VMs+web terminals+preclears running.  Other than closing some of them, the other option would be to allow more ptys to be used for a root login by appending lines like

pts/8
pts/9
pts/10
pts/11

etc. into /etc/securetty.

Removing /etc/securetty entirely also accomplishes this, but I don't claim to understand the security implications (if any) of doing this.

How do I close some of them without restarting unraid?

• Upvote 1