Slack step-by-step tutorial (setup in Notifications)

unP

I am by no means an expert but this is how I setup Slack for my notifications:

1. Go to slack.com and setup a new account by creating a new workspace. https://slack.com

1a. I used "myservername.slack.com" because it was available.

2. In UnRaid go to Settings > User Preferences > Notification Settings

2a. Here you also select what notifications you want and how often at the top of the page.

3. At the bottom of Notification Settings enable Slack and enter the webhook URL. 

4. To get the webhook URL go to https://api.slack.com and on the left side of the page go to App Features > Incoming Webhooks

5. In the second paragraph of the Incoming Webhooks information page follow the link for "Incoming Webhook Integration"

6. Click the link to "Create a Channel" and name it "UnRaid_Notifications" or whatever you would like, and set it to Private.

7. On the previous page select the newly created channel and click "Add Incoming Webhooks Integration"

8. Copy/Paste the Webhook URL to your Unraid Notification Settings for Slack.

9. Go back to your "myservername.slack.com" workspace and the private channel should be available under your channels list.

10. On Unraid now click "Test" in the Slack Notification Settings Box and a message should get pushed to your newly created Slack channel.

11. Sign-in on the desktop or mobile app and make sure you see the channel and set your app notifications for push notifications if you want it.

Not so obviously straight forward, but Slack does work well for this purpose.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

The procedure is slightly changed, you have to create an app first. This is what I did to enable slack notifications:

The Slack Part

1. Go to slack.com and setup a new account by creating a new workspace. https://slack.com and define your workspace  "YourWorkspace.slack.com".

2.To get the webhook URL go to https://api.slack.com and select from the left side menu under App features - Incoming webhooks.

image.png.8792624daaf4101d8795501bcd4a6246.png

3. On the Incoming webhooks page under step 1. Create a Slack app (if you don't have one already) click on the Create your Slack app

image.png.22642434e6a991dfb54a67a4c51e8b3f.png

4.Define your App Name and select the previously defined workspace.

image.png.3bfd52dac240368296335560f1c840a9.png

5. On the new created App select from the left-side menu under Features - Incoming Webhooks

image.png.cc815a321b25ad15ca8e35b4b75be97b.png

6. On the Incoming Webhooks page you have to set Activate Incoming Webhooks - On

image.png.cc8cc16d88f76679c8e2f03451dd6d5c.png

7.As soon you activate the incoming webhooks the Webhook URL will be automatically generated

8. This is your webhook required for UnRAID to send push-notifications using Slack.

Copy the full URL and save it somwhere. You will need to paste it later in UnRAID config.

image.png.58cb3dc62dade01f26f140828b444429.png

The UnRAID Notifications Part

1.  In UnRaid - Go to Settings > User Preferences > Notification Settings

Note: Here you also select what notifications you want and how often at the top of the page.

2. At the bottom of Notification Settings enable Slack and enter the webhook URL. 

3. Copy/Paste the Webhook URL to your Unraid Notification Settings for Slack.

image.thumb.png.faa6ce41bca92c69ca0a48f613048e8c.png

image.thumb.png.5ae90db0cc809ff0b5df4eb3a691bf70.png

4. On Unraid now click "Test" in the Slack Notification Settings Box and a message should get pushed to your newly created Slack channel.

Note: At a point you have to select where to post the message, I have selected to post it to myself(replaced my username with to_myself in photo):

image.png.a4cc97ab08c76f63ad203ccee5ebc846.png

UnRaid 804 is at this moment my UnRAID name, as it is buid in a Fractal Design Node 804 case.

The Client for Notifications Part

11. Sign-in on the desktop or install the Slack mobile app. For mobile Slack - make sure you see the channel and set your app notifications for push notifications if you want it.

Enjoy receiving your Slack push-notifications!

Edited by FlorinB
  • Thanks 1