Rosewill RSV-S5 SATA 3G 3.5" HDD 5-Bay

jawolf

Has anyone tried this? --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132015&cm_re=port_multiplier_rosewill-_-16-132-015-_-Product   

I have the MD-1500/LL and I'm looking to expand and use the full 20 drive capability of unRAID Server Pro.

Thanks!

Have you ever considered another LL case the same removables/PSU and addonics Port multipliers?

I know if I was going past one case, I would choose the same case and use the addonics pci bracketed port multipliers.

Yes, I'm using one in the first unRAID server I built a couple of months ago. I never seriously considered using the card and software that came with it; instead I'm using a motherboard SATA connection with an eSATA adapter. So far I'm happy with it. It's fairly quiet and it keeps the five Samsung 1.5 TB green drives in it cool -- about the same temperature as the hard drives in the PC case (parity, cache and three more data drives) which has lots of cooling. The drive brackets have plastic pulls but they seem to be sturdy enough. The five drives in the bay show up as the first five in unRAID (sda - sde) with my MB. The power LED (I think it's orange) was very bright so I covered it with a piece electrician's tape. I've had no problems streaming DVD rips from the drives in the bay. When I first installed the bay I tried to preclear all five drives at the same time, and the transfer rates were not good. I canceled that and precleared the drives individually, which obviously took a good chunk of time. The rates reported during the individual preclears were pretty much equivalent with the ones I got preclearing drives in the main case. I couldn't tell you if the time to preclear all five drives simultaneously would have been more or less than doing them individually. I'm using a cache drive so I can't really say anything about the write speed to drives in the bay. I didn't do anything to change the default set-up of spin-groups when I added the drives, and it it seems as though all five drives in the bay spin-up when only one needs to be accessed. When the spin-ups occur they do sound to be staggered, so this may be a feature of the bay.

Ken