UPS not shutting down Unraid properly (Cyberpower 850)

Traxxus

It used to work back when it was a plugin, but ever since it's been integrated, it's never properly shut down my Unraid server.  

https://i.imgur.com/JSTjGkm.png  
https://i.imgur.com/67dKfea.png  

I've tried slightly different settings, but nothing seriously different. Time on battery is typically blank, however after the last time this happened I searched here, and read about a bug involving an empty field there, so added something, but no go. Am I missing anything here? 

Edit: It's a Cyberpower 850, CP850PFCLCD, ~2 years old.

Edited by Traxxus

My "time on" field is blank and all is well.  Using same model with the exception of VA (using 1500 for each PS).  Curious, the first screen shot, would you care taking another but only after you have initiated and confirmed (green ball) all drives are spun up.  It's worked for me, albeit, it's yet to get "tested" after upgrading to 6.4 fwiw.

My suggestion is that you determine approximately  long the power will be out in your area before it is evident that this is a long term outage that will surpass the capability of any UPS to deal with.  In my case, the period is about thirty seconds!  If the power is out thirty seconds, it is going to be out for hours.  So I set my UPS so that if the power is out Thirty seconds, the server will start its shutdown.  Now, I have a very simple setup with any Dockers that might be attempting to write to the array.  (BTW, a power outage can really compound the shutdown problem if the Internet goes out at the same if you have one or more Dockers which are usually at that time.)  

There are a couple of reasons for doing this.  the first one concerns the battery life remaining after the shutdown is completed.  It must be realized that it can easily take up to eight hours to recharge a discharged battery.  When the power comes back on, and you wait for a half hour until you think things are back to normal and the power does out again after the restart your server, the battery may not have enough reserve to shut it cleanly a second time.  

Second consideration, the estimated battery run-time numbers are a SWAG  (Stupid Wild A$$ Guess ).  As batteries age, the storage capacity decreases.  In fact a five year old battery can't provide a two minutes of run-time at half-power.   You really want to keep that time on battery to a minimum as deep discharges don't help the battery aging situation.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:53 AM, grandprix said:

My "time on" field is blank and all is well.  Using same model with the exception of VA (using 1500 for each PS).  Curious, the first screen shot, would you care taking another but only after you have initiated and confirmed (green ball) all drives are spun up.  It's worked for me, albeit, it's yet to get "tested" after upgrading to 6.4 fwiw.

Another, all drives spun up.

PqNjg1B.png 

On 1/31/2018 at 4:39 PM, Frank1940 said:

My suggestion is that you determine approximately  long the power will be out in your area before it is evident that this is a long term outage that will surpass the capability of any UPS to deal with.  In my case, the period is about thirty seconds!  If the power is out thirty seconds, it is going to be out for hours.  So I set my UPS so that if the power is out Thirty seconds, the server will start its shutdown.  Now, I have a very simple setup with any Dockers that might be attempting to write to the array.  (BTW, a power outage can really compound the shutdown problem if the Internet goes out at the same if you have one or more Dockers which are usually at that time.)  

There are a couple of reasons for doing this.  the first one concerns the battery life remaining after the shutdown is completed.  It must be realized that it can easily take up to eight hours to recharge a discharged battery.  When the power comes back on, and you wait for a half hour until you think things are back to normal and the power does out again after the restart your server, the battery may not have enough reserve to shut it cleanly a second time.  

Second consideration, the estimated battery run-time numbers are a SWAG  (Stupid Wild A$$ Guess ).  As batteries age, the storage capacity decreases.  In fact a five year old battery can't provide a two minutes of run-time at half-power.   You really want to keep that time on battery to a minimum as deep discharges don't help the battery aging situation. 

Yeah, it should be shorter, I recall it used to be, but I started making it longer when it failed the first time. I live out of the way so if the power goes out it's usually for hours. Changed it to 2 mins/70%. 

55 minutes ago, Traxxus said:

Yeah, it should be shorter, I recall it used to be, but I started making it longer when it failed the first time. I live out of the way so if the power goes out it's usually for hours. Changed it to 2 mins/70%. 

Actually the 'Time on Battery before shutdown' parameter is the time before the shutdown function begins the shutdown procedure.  In other words, if the power comes back on before that time has elapsed, the server continues to run normally.  In the same manner, if the power should come back on after the time has elapsed, the server will continue its shutdown sequence regardless.