unRAID with VM in one room, Screen in another

Hello unRAIDers, 

Ideally, I'd like to have my unRAID Server located in a separate room with my other network equipment, but having the option to access my VMs from a display in my office room. Is there any way to do this without running HDMI cables from my server to my office or without having a separate machine where I've to install VNC software?

As long as the VMs does not run a passthrought GPU, what Helmonder said works just fine, you can access the unraid webgui from any computer on the same network and use the webgui vnc.

If the vm has gpu passthrough, I dont know of any good methods that does not require a cabel.

Edited by isvein
1 hour ago, Helmonder said:

So you want to access the gui without another pc and without cables ?

Err.. wireless hdmi ?

you do realise you can access the webgui with any webbrowser on your network ?

No. I'd like to access to VM without having to run HDMI cables from my server to my screen. I'm fine with cables if there is an ethernet solution. 

There are definitely HDMI to cat6 solutions. Monoprice sells some. Back when I was looking to do the same thing, several members mentioned they were using HDMI over Ethernet (HDMI Extenders) setups and seemed quite happy with them. In the end, I opted for long run HDMI cables, and it worked well for me.

Initially I used 50' passive cables from PrimeCables with dual 1680x1050 monitors, but when I upgraded to 1440p monitors, the passive cables could no longer pass a reliable signal (Sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Sometimes artifacts, sometimes fine). As I had no plans to ever get 4k monitors (famous last words?) :), I ended up upgrading to monoprice Redmere v1 cables, that can do 1440p without issue, but I've read mixed reviews on 4k. I got them for a decent price on Amazon.

Edited by DoeBoye

I ran a long HDMI cable from monoprice. Relatively thin and had some built in active componentry that enabled it to work with 4k / 60Hz content with no extra power. Did similar with USB for keyboard/mouse (Logitech unifying receiver). So my study no longer has to have a computer in it. Just a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. (It's pretty awesome actually.)

Ethernet extenders are possible but pretty pricey. Not sure about 4k though. And they don't run through your home network. They require dedicated runs. And evidently they run very hot. HDMI was about the same cabling effort as cat6 for me, without all the expensive equipment and heat

Don't think wireless has the bandwidth for 4k.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, SSD said:

HDMI was about the same cabling effort as cat6 for me

If you don't care about the size of the holes you have to drill, HDMI is much simpler to deal with.

If you need to keep the hole size to a minimum and run multiple cables through the same holes, an unterminated cat6 cable is the clear winner.

You could always end it at a wall plate to keep it looking nice and clean, and then plug a short run hdmi cable into the wall plate. I ended up using a 3 gang universal wall plate that allowed me to run 4 HDMI cables and 2 USB cables using keystones.

I feel we may be getting off topic though, as the OP specified non-HDMI cable solution :)...

12 minutes ago, SSD said:

Often in the face of new information, an OP will see the wisdom is the solution he had written off! ;) 

A drywall saw, cover plate, drill, and a fish tape will get you through a lot of wire passthrough issues.

It's not often I envy you Americans, but the ease in which you can cable a house is one of them...........

In my house, I'd need a chisel, ducting, a plasterer and decorator. :)

11 hours ago, CHBMB said:

It's not often I envy you Americans, but the ease in which you can cable a house is one of them...........

In my house, I'd need a chisel, ducting, a plasterer and decorator. :)

Does sound like a more formidable challenge. But you have to do what you have to do! :)

Came here to ask this same question!  To be clear, I want to put my Unraid server in another room and have a monitor in my office displaying a VM that's using a dedicated video card in the Unraid server. 

OP, do you want audio as well as video?  There are both video over ethernet and audio/video over ethernet solutions.  I was only looking at audio/video over ethernet and I found the following.  As far as keyboard/mouse, I was going to control from another local PC in my office using Synergy.  Does anyone have any experience with these and Unraid? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SHWXRI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B005SHWXRI&pd_rd_wg=1bcB7&pd_rd_r=0DBAVA71AGKG58W2YHPT&pd_rd_w=KfHyT

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Extender-Single-Support/dp/B00SVX57UQ/ref=pd_cp_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00SVX57UQ&pd_rd_r=9W5JM82CBX37HA1TQBAS&pd_rd_w=OViqA&pd_rd_wg=8ygxT&psc=1&refRID=9W5JM82CBX37HA1TQBAS

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Transmitter-1920x1440-B130-101A-2/dp/B00E07GRWY

38 minutes ago, Lo Key said:

Came here to ask this same question!  To be clear, I want to put my Unraid server in another room and have a monitor in my office displaying a VM that's using a dedicated video card in the Unraid server. 

OP, do you want audio as well as video?  There are both video over ethernet and audio/video over ethernet solutions.  I was only looking at audio/video over ethernet and I found the following.  As far as keyboard/mouse, I was going to control from another local PC in my office using Synergy.  Does anyone have any experience with these and Unraid? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SHWXRI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B005SHWXRI&pd_rd_wg=1bcB7&pd_rd_r=0DBAVA71AGKG58W2YHPT&pd_rd_w=KfHyT

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Extender-Single-Support/dp/B00SVX57UQ/ref=pd_cp_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00SVX57UQ&pd_rd_r=9W5JM82CBX37HA1TQBAS&pd_rd_w=OViqA&pd_rd_wg=8ygxT&psc=1&refRID=9W5JM82CBX37HA1TQBAS

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Transmitter-1920x1440-B130-101A-2/dp/B00E07GRWY

Those are all VGA (analog) 1080p. If you read some of the reviews,  you'll see there are complaints on image quality. VGA cables at 1080p lose brightness and focus. And just to repeat - any of these Ethernet extenders require a dedicated point-to-point Cat5e+ cable that does not go through your router. A single run from the server to near the monitor. You can't just run Cat6 to your gigabit switch on both sides  and expect it to drive the monitor to your computer! (I didn't understand that when I started looking - you guys obviously do. But just communicating for other readers)

This one looks much better for 1080p. It is HDMI. Not a bad price. Lots of buyers. And good reviews. Might be issues with HDCP / HD audio passthrough. Need to read carefully and do homework if media playing is part of your plan.

But if you want 4K HDMI capability with HD audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD, ATMOS, etc.) passthrough, none of those will work.

HERE is the BlackBird 4k that I had seen at Monoprice. Cat6 recommended. Pricey at over $300!  But if you read, even this premium unit has failures and complaints of the heat.

HERE is one I found on Amazon. "gofanco" is not exactly a household name, but it is much cheaper at $106. One user reporting having a problem. He notes how "unbelievably hot" it gets to the touch. The report below chronicles his issue. They did replace it and he was happy after that. But I would be worried about any piece of electronics that runs that hot. It must be doing massive signal processing to convert the 18.6 GHz video signal from HDMI to Cat6 in real time. If I bought one of these Ethernet boxes, I'd want a fan blowing on it so it didn't burn itself out!

Originally Reviewed 07/05/2017: Worked very well for the first few weeks and then it started skipping. Every few minutes the screen will go black and then after about 3 seconds, the picture will come back. I am running this at the full 4K60 that it's rated for - so I'm really leaning on it. The boxes are unbelievably hot to the touch. The picture does still work, but you have to deal with the random drop every few minutes. Not a great experience.

As I've said, I went with HDMI. This was due to the expense, heat issue, potential high failure rate, potential HD audio issues, and fact this would not run through my network (which would have let connect from other locations in my house). One of my goals in moving the computer out of my office was to get the hot computer out, and the idea of a hot coal on the floor near the monitor was not appealing!

HERE IS THE ACTIVE HDMI CABLE I bought. Mine is 50ft for $45. Small diameter. Video is crystal clear. No transformer or electrical connections. No HD audio passthrough limitations or complexity. No hiccups. No heat.

If you are running HDMI cables, recommend one or two of THESE USB EXTENDERS too. I have 2 - one for Logitech Unifying receiver and one I got for FLIRC, but wind up using it for plugging occasional USB stick. Zero heat. No power connections or transformers. An alternative to use a software (Synergy) mouse sharing feature was mentioned. I looked into this but passed because it required A COMPUTER to plug keyboard and mouse into. I don't want another always on computer. And it requires a software install that my company doesn't allow (so won't allow me to use a shared keyboard/mouse with my work laptop). The software typically allows a shared clipboard function which is inherently insecure. And I am not at all sure I want my keystrokes going onto my network. Who knows how well these not-very-popular tools are secured or if they phone my keystrokes home. I found a better option for sharing keyboard and mouse for my needs.

HERE is a KVM  I use just for keyboard/mouse part. The HDMI video runs straight to the monitor (HDMI) from the computers. This allows me to switch between 4 sources. What's special about this KVM is it works with an IR remote. I have an old Harmony 650 with 4 buttons programmed to simultaneously switch the monitor input and the KVM input for my VM, work laptop, Surface (my backup computer when the VM is down, used mainly to bring down the VM and back it up from time to time), and one spare port for ad hoc use. The KVM is pricey but worth it if you are frequently changing video inputs. I tried lots of cheap options with mechanical buttons. Ok for occasional use, but if you are switching more than a few times a day, you won't be happy. And your finger joint will start to ache after a short while!

BTW, the ConnectPro people change extra for the remote. I found the codes posted on some obscure forum, and sent them to Harmony and they added them to the Harmony database! So no need for the $25 or whatever they charge for their remote. I could not find a cheaper KVM with IR (in fact the UR-14 I linked is an excellent price for that unit that required some digging on Amazon to find.)

Two negatives on the ConnectPro. One is it is rather large (approx 11"W, 2"H, and 5.5"D). And the IR is on the front so it has to be placed such that both the TV and the KVM "see" the IR codes from the Harmony. Mine peaks out under my large monitor and I hardly notice it, but you might give some thought. There may be a way to extend the IR somehow. But I think you'd have to take it apart which I'm not ready to do. There is no IR input. The other negative is that the USB outputs are on the back of the unit. I use a short USB extension cable. This prevents the unifying remote from being obstructed by the KVM.

If running the HDMI cable end is a deterrent, look for a cable with a mini HDMI connector on one side. Finding an active one with that feature may be hard, but it would make it easier to run. Maybe not as easy as unterminated Cat6 as @jonathanm mentioned. (You'd need an adapter cable on the end to get back to full HDMI size, which might negatively impact your total cable length if you are near the limit.)

Good luck with your remotely located VM! That's my complete brain dump on the topic.

(#ssdindex - Options for Remotely Located Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor)

• Like 1