[SOLVED] Upgrade from 6.0-rc3 to 6.4.0 w/o stopping array

Camel

Wow, things have changed...

I just fired up my unraid server which had been sleeping for a long time because of many personal changes/challenges, moving from NY to TX being one of them. Gladly, I will be spending more time getting back to my build, its been a while.

More to the point, I am sitting here after reading about upgrading from 6.x to 6.4 and I have done almost everything suggested, I hope. I have copies of the flash drive but I don't know if I copied them with the array stopped. I upgraded at the plugins tab. No issues throughout the upgrade. Now I need to reboot, however, I do not know if I should do that given that I had the array running while upgrading and not knowing if I got the flash files copied without the array running.

How can I check this? Do I need to do anything before I reboot before I do so? I don't want to mess up the drive(s) integrity. Hopefully I can just reboot but I wanted to see what "y'all" could advise me.

Thanks so much,

Camel

Edited by Camel
SOLVED

I did want to backup the flash before updating but I think I ended up copying the flash over to my external drive with the array running and after I hit the upgrade tab in the plugins where I had 6.0-rc3 which is now 6.4 and waiting for me to reboot.

I have pulled over a copy of the flash with the array stopped now but still have not restarted the unraid box.

Can I look within the config folder to see what the state of the array was/is? Can I try to use the flash files I have and test it on another box to see what comes up?

Is there a way to downgrade or reverse my actions? Or am I over analyzing this...and I should just reboot?

Thanks!

okay, did the reboot. The dashboard says I have version 6.43.0, array is stopped, but that's it. Nothing appears in the window (see attached). I also went to the console and there it says:

sh:  /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/dockconfig.php: No Such file or directory

sh: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/scripts/libvirtconfig.oho: No such file or directory

I found a thread with some of this info but it doesn't seem like it would help me.

The boot dir has several fsck000?.rec files and I see all the appropriates folders and files along with "previous".

Can you point me in the right direction? Should I just replace the super.dat with the original?

Thanks!

Camel

Screen Shot Blank Dashboard.png

21 minutes ago, Camel said:

The boot dir has several fsck000?.rec files and I see all the appropriates folders and files along with "previous".

That would point to issues with your flash drive, format it and restore the last backup, the one done with the update done but the array stooped, don't forget to execute the make_bootable.bat (in admin mode)

Well...

My machine boots but now there is no unraid os at all, black screen. I will try another new usb stick. But, how do I do a total reconstruction of this? I have a screen shot of my drive config/order plus I was wanting to replace my parity drive with a larger drive, can I use a 5 TB drive?

I will do one project at a time and save those questions for later.

Where do I look for the correct information to reconstruct or start over with building the usb drive? Can I down load unraid 6.4 and use the super.dat with the files for the rebuild? I think the real problem is that I do not have a good back up. As I said, I think I might have pulled the backup without the array stopped and then stopped it but I had just done the upgrade. I can do the key registration for the new usb after I get this all squared away, I don't need to have that intact for the os to start right?

Clearly, I was careless, now I will have to get through this and I so appreciate any help you all can give me. Its kind of like getting lost when you're driving but once you find out where you are you have learned more about your surroundings. I don't drive like that anymore, I study the directions. Just trying to make myself feel better with an anecdote. ;-)

Edited by Camel

[SOLVED] - Thank you johnnie.black

Update:

I replaced the USB flash drive. From the old flash that had upgraded files (6.0-rc3 to 6.4) I copied over the config folder and the syslinux folder. From the folder "previous" bzimage, bzroot, make_bootable.bat, and license.txt ( I don't know if this was necessary - the make_bootable.bat was to make the new flash drive unraid boot).  

I had to register the new flash drive which was very easy to do in the gui.

All the disks are in correct order except it looks like I may have one disk that may have removed since there is a space for "not installed 2TB" so naturally the parity status says "invalid"

I have not started the array yet and still have 6.0-rc3 installed. I will wait until everything looks good, make a proper backup of the flash drive then do the upgrade to 6.4

Thanks!!

Camel

After the fact, but your problem was that you had a very old dynamix.plg file in your config/plugins folder on your flash drive that wasn't checking for OS version compatibility.  Make sure that you've deleted dynamix.plg from /config/plugins on the flash

@ljm42  Might want to add to upgrade notes to delete dynamix.plg from /config/plugins before rebooting.  Very old versions of that file didn't check OS versions

Edited by Squid
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Squid said:

After the fact, but your problem was that you had a very old dynamix.plg file in your config/plugins folder on your flash drive that wasn't checking for OS version compatibility.  Make sure that you've deleted dynamix.plg from /config/plugins on the flash

@ljm42  Might want to add to upgrade notes to delete dynamix.plg from /config/plugins before rebooting.  Very old versions of that file didn't check OS versions

Just to be clear, everyone should always delete \\tower\flash\config\plugins\dynamix.plg ?  

Is it safe to do that in the "before you upgrade" section (where you might still reboot into your current OS) or does it need to happen in the "performing the upgrade" section right before booting into 6.4.1?

9 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Just to be clear, everyone should always delete \\tower\flash\config\plugins\dynamix.plg ?  

It doesn't hurt, as dynamix.plg isn't currently used at all.  Issue though is from upgrading very early 6.0 to 6.4 as back then dynamix would upgrade separately from the OS and some versions of the .plg didn't check the OS version to see if they should install or not.  2 Different threads I've seen about this.  You can tell if you look closely at that screen shot, as the dynamix version is listed in the bottom left with a date of 2015 even though the top right shows 6.4.0/6.4.1

EDIT: Issue would also happen from any 6.1.x / 6.2.x / 6.3.x as the bad .plg would still install but remain compatible.  IE: just delete the file and you're good to go.

Edited by Squid