EVE-NG VM creation in Unraid

Hi VM folks!
I'm new to Unraid and also linux, so newbie here - bear with me! I'm looking to create a VM from a .iso image of a network simulation program called EVE-NG, you can have a look at it LINKED HERE

So as this is bespoke and won't have a VM template, how would I go about creating this VM in Unraid? There is a .ova and a .iso available on the website, can we import .ova files? I've already done Windows through a .iso.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

On 2/1/2018 at 4:36 AM, ShortbreadUK said:

o as this is bespoke and won't have a VM template, how would I go about creating this VM in Unraid?

If it were me, I would try the Windows10 template, if the .iso supports efi boot. If the .iso doesn't have an EFI boot loader I would try the Win7 template. Or the one of the linux templates. 

If you're unsure about the loader, you could try to make a vm using a template, and delete entry of the primary drive (none - selection), then point install-boot disk to your ISO file and then fire it up, if it boots off the ISO, good start. Shut it down, go back into template settings and add a HD; if it fails to boot the ISO then just nuke the vm you made, and try a different template until you find one that works best for you.

Edit: Able to successfully boot off the ISO using the Windows7 template; installing it now, so far no errors. Just wanted to give the heads up.

Edit 2: Doing first boot, post-install, now.

What you want:

1. Windows 7 template.
  2. Change the default "Primary vDisk Bus:" for the vdisk from VirtIO to SATA.  EVE-NG installer gave a fit trying to do the partition (default), where sata whiz right by.

From here it seem's to be eve-ng in a VM text book. :)

Good luck.

Edited by Jcloud
clarification from fat-finger-typing.
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, ShortbreadUK said:

that it's based on Ubuntu - but seems to work fine with the one you mentioned. 

:) I saw that too. The Ubuntu template uses OVMF which is the UEFI BIOS, the one EVE can't use. EVE looked interesting when I was tinkering, as it was the first I had seen of it. 

Have a good day.