(Solved) PCIe Bus Error

Ever since i have updated my supermicro motherboard BIOS i have been receiving these errors in the system log.

Feb  1 15:47:48 Tower kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: AER: Corrected error received: id=00e0
Feb  1 15:47:48 Tower kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, id=00e0(Transmitter ID)
Feb  1 15:47:48 Tower kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.0:   device [8086:a110] error status/mask=00003000/00002000
Feb  1 15:47:48 Tower kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.0:    [12] Replay Timer Timeout  

After BIOS flash i have cleared CMOS and set up the server as "i think" i had it prior to the update.

8086:a110 is

8086:a110] 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f1)

Would appreciate any input many thanks

tower-syslog-20180201-1550.zip

Edited by raidserver
On 01/02/2018 at 4:09 PM, johnnie.black said:

Those can sometimes be fixed by using the offending controller on a different PCIe slot (ideally changing from a CPU slot to a PCH slot or vice versa) or with a bios update.

Quick follow up about this because its been bugging me since i flashed the BIOS. When i revisited supermicro i found only an older BIOS which once flashed has been fine and i have no syslog errors now.

I reached out to supermicro for an answer, they said.

"The BIOS 2.2 we had on our website had fixes for the Spectre vulnerabilities.
However, the fixes had issues and Intel has asked all Vendors to revoke the updates until new Micro codes can be released.

So it's possible the new BIOS had the issues you saw, and our current advise would be to use the 2.0c BIOS version from our website."

• 2 months later...

I have updated the newer 2.2b BIOS.

The same errors started to spam the log file continuously again. It is occupied by my RocketRAID 640L. Before i decided to occupy the only other PCIE slot (x16) i read THIS bug report thread which has a few fixes to try.

I have turned off/disabled pcie aspm on the x4 currently used slot.

This power management option has fixed this issue. No more error logs.

• 5 years later...
On 4/15/2018 at 6:26 PM, raidserver said:

I have updated the newer 2.2b BIOS.

The same errors started to spam the log file continuously again. It is occupied by my RocketRAID 640L. Before i decided to occupy the only other PCIE slot (x16) i read THIS bug report thread which has a few fixes to try.

I have turned off/disabled pcie aspm on the x4 currently used slot.

This power management option has fixed this issue. No more error logs.

may i know which power management option? because i think i am experiencing similar issues.