ksarnelli

FQDN variable for docker WebUI parameter

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

With the addition of TLD support in 6.4.1-rc1 it got me wondering if there are variables I can use in the docker WebUI parameter instead of [IP]?

Something like:

[HOST] - hostname

[TLD] - tld

[FQDN] -= hostname.tld

5 minutes ago, bonienl said:

There is only [IP] for Docker containers.

Kind of a shame since unRAID supports ssl/tls now.  Any plans for adding these?

On 2/2/2018 at 7:49 AM, ksarnelli said:

Kind of a shame since unRAID supports ssl/tls now.  Any plans for adding these?

Would adding [FQDN] cover it?  Keep in mind this wouldn't work for Docker apps that are given their own IP separate from the unRAID host (e.g. Network type br0 with a IP specified).

5 minutes ago, eschultz said:

Would adding [FQDN] cover it?  Keep in mind this wouldn't work for Docker apps that are given their own IP separate from the unRAID host (e.g. Network type br0 with a IP specified).

[FQDN] should cover it.

Understood that it wouldn't work for dockers with their own IPs, but since [FQDN] wouldn't be the default variable used in the WebUI parameter it should be fine.  Anyone who would be manually switching it to [FQDN] would most likely understand that.

Thanks a ton!

Edited by ksarnelli

What if [FQDN] would fallback to IP if the docker had a different IP? That would be a good user experience I believe.

Also if you didnt have a FQDN set, in case templates online would start using the [FQDN] variabel.

Also +1 for the [HOST] - hostname, I dont use FQDN but I do use hostname in my local network.

7 minutes ago, Ziggurat said:

What if [FQDN] would fallback to IP if the docker had a different IP? That would be a good user experience I believe.

I was planning to do just that actually.

9 minutes ago, Ziggurat said:

Also +1 for the [HOST] - hostname, I dont use FQDN but I do use hostname in my local network.

I think FQDN would work best as long as your TLD is configured properly (most people will be .local anyways, which is the default).  Reason is MacOS will resolve better using FQDN over just HOSTNAME.  Windows seems to work well with either.

@eschultz Okay I see, yeah I am resolving the .local addresses using avahi and nss-mdns.

For me it looked like I needed to install bounjor service on windows to get this to work, which installing almost any apple software will do. I have historically installed the apple print drivers on Windows to get the bounjor service without installing any more bload than the driver files for their usb print server. Last time I did this I needed to use the hostname.local on the raspberry pi sshing over a usb virtual ethernet gadget device.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:16 AM, eschultz said:

I was planning to do just that actually.

I think FQDN would work best as long as your TLD is configured properly (most people will be .local anyways, which is the default).  Reason is MacOS will resolve better using FQDN over just HOSTNAME.  Windows seems to work well with either.

Just checking in to see if this was implemented in 6.5 or if it's planned for a future version?  I didn't see it in the release notes. Thanks!

Also interested in this feature. Unfortunately not working as of unRaid 6.8.3.

Any updates on this? Further having the ability to use more complex variables, such as http://[FQDN:IP]:[PORT:12345] would help tremendiously, especially with things like IP changes and CIDR migrations.

Edited by Didstopia