unRAID OS version 6.4.1 Stable Release Available

limetech

31 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

I'm guessing you haven't set a root password?  Safari has issues with authenticated websockets, which means if you have a root password set you probably won't see the CPU load 

Yeah. I just checked mine. Same version of Safari but no Terminal or cpu load (as expected).

17 hours ago, ljm42 said:

I'm guessing you haven't set a root password?  Safari has issues with authenticated websockets, which means if you have a root password set you probably won't see the CPU load 

Interesting.  You are correct.  Root is disabled on this Mac.  I guess I haven't found anything I need to do on this Mac that I can't do with sudo. 

1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

I think he means your unRAID server.

I need to have coffee before responding. :)  But yes, also true, no root password in my unRAID server either.  That caused me to look at the installation process.  I don't recall a step requesting me to set root password.  My initial unRAID installation was a few years ago, and I've been upgrading ever since.  So now I'm unsure if setting a password, or disabling root would cause a problem or not.

Edited by JohnO
2 minutes ago, JohnO said:

I need to have coffee before responding. :)  But yes, also true, no root password in my unRAID server either.  That caused me to look at the installation process.  I don't recall a step requesting me to set root password.  My initial unRAID installation was a few years ago, and I've been upgrading ever since.  So now I'm unsure if setting a password, or disabling root would cause a problem or not.

You don't want to disable root. If you set a root password, the main difference you will notice is you will have to supply the username and password when logging into the webUI or to the command line.

33 minutes ago, trurl said:

You don't want to disable root. If you set a root password, the main difference you will notice is you will have to supply the username and password when logging into the webUI or to the command line.

and you will also notice

19 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Safari has issues with authenticated websockets, which means if you have a root password set you probably won't see the CPU load 

6 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

Is there still an issue with the temperature readings from NVMe drives not being detected?

Not that I know of, it was fixed on v6.4 and haven't seen anyone complain it didn't work since, if yours doesn't can you post the output of:

smartctl -a /dev/nvme0

7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Not that I know of, it was fixed on v6.4 and haven't seen anyone complain it didn't work since, if yours doesn't can you post the output of:

smartctl -a /dev/nvme0

Yup, that command shows the temperature is 28C.  But it will not display in the webgui whether I have the UD plugin installed or not.

Edited by IamSpartacus
10 minutes ago, limetech said:

Thanks, sorry, please also post output of this command:

smartctl -A /dev/nvme0

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02, NSID 0xffffffff)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        30 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          50%
Percentage Used:                    1%
Data Units Read:                    5,283,815 [2.70 TB]
Data Units Written:                 9,113,217 [4.66 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 78,167,693
Host Write Commands:                94,579,880
Controller Busy Time:               1,076
Power Cycles:                       477
Power On Hours:                     3,532
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   53
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      1,138

7 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

Yup, that command shows the temperature is 28C.  But it will not display in the webgui whether I have the UD plugin installed or not.

It should work if that device is configured as part of the cache pool or assigned to array.  As unassigned device, still looking into it.  In general, unRAID OS does not do anything with unassigned devices, meaning temperature not monitored, etc., (so as not to interfere with other s/w possibly using those devices, eg, VM's) though later webGui changes seem to break this rule.  Guess we need to rethink this.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

So are you saying that it ran that long before it locked up? If so, then you might give us your diagnostics after a reboot. Also, of course, you might try a memtest and SAFE mode.

Yes, 6 days of uptime. I went to work this morning trying to VPN back home for a moment but I've dropped in on lunch and found my server to be locked up with a call trace on screen :/

Memtest runs perfectly for 48hrs, I did a run after a 'spring clean' of my server a couple of weeks ago.

Safe mode has made no diff. in the past, I'm confident it's not a Container or Plugin causing the issue.

Diagnostic attached (after the reboot)

raptor-diagnostics-20180222-1330.zip

First of all, forgive me for my lack of experience and knowledge of unRaid. Is it safe at this point to run AMD Thread ripper without running into stability issues? I am interested in a system with multiple GPU's and wanted to make sure before I purchase hardware that I will be able to run a machine without freezing issues. I will be building 2 separate builds; one for me and the other for a friend of mine. I have read quite a few posts but did not really feel 100% whether or not it was safe at this point to take the plunge. I looked at the Intel chips and to get something remotely powerful enough we would have to spend quite a bit more than purchasing AMD.

If thread ripper is not ready for prime time on unRaid, what are the other options that will work that have a 8 or more cores and 16 threads?

4 hours ago, hatemjaber said:

First of all, forgive me for my lack of experience and knowledge of unRaid. Is it safe at this point to run AMD Thread ripper without running into stability issues? I am interested in a system with multiple GPU's and wanted to make sure before I purchase hardware that I will be able to run a machine without freezing issues. I will be building 2 separate builds; one for me and the other for a friend of mine. I have read quite a few posts but did not really feel 100% whether or not it was safe at this point to take the plunge. I looked at the Intel chips and to get something remotely powerful enough we would have to spend quite a bit more than purchasing AMD.

If thread ripper is not ready for prime time on unRaid, what are the other options that will work that have a 8 or more cores and 16 threads?

Opinions will vary on this...
First, I would personally not use any Threadripper CPU on a production server. The product line is far too new (<6 months since launch) for software written for it to be considered stable, which is a prime goal of any server implementation. Ditto for that matter for any other Ryzen CPU -- the architecture is too new.

Second,  which you may or may not care about is ECC support. Threadripper, officially supports ECC,  but from discussions I've seen, apparently not all ThreadRipper motherboards do, and for some that explicitly say "ECC" in their specs, there are no ECC memory modules in their QVL.  I don't know what that means in practice (I've seen conflicting reports), but I wouldn't bank on a non-officially-supported data-integrity feature.
That said, ECC isn't mandatory for UnRAID (some folks here use it, some don't) although personally I think the extra protection, even for rare events, is worthwhile for the relatively low extra cost.

For any actual issues with Ryzen , search the forum for "Ryzen", for example here -- there are a bunch for issues, although they are gradually being fixed. Some of the issues apparently require changes/fixes to the Linux kernel, which isn't up to Lime Tech, and although I'm sure this'll happen, I don't consider Ryzen a "prime time" product yet.

Alternatives:
If you're willing to consider "pre-owned" CPUs, an older (1st-gen) Intel X5-2xxx Xeon might work for you.
These are 8 core / 16 thread CPUs, see for example here (Intel ARK specs), usable in single- or dual-CPU configs.
Originally selling for $1400-$1500 each, a bunch of large datacenters got rid of a huge amount about 2 years ago, and their price on the open market went <$100 . Even after several years of server farm use, they should still be good for quite a few years of UnRAID use. The price has gone up a bit since then, but they're still available at <$150 on eBay and other places; I'm running an E5-2665 I bought here using a new AsRock mobo. There's a really long thread on the forum on them.

I'm running Threadripper 1950x on an ASRock Taichi mobo, on latest unRAID + mobo drivers I have had no stability issues and no issues with VM passthrough on Windows or Linux based OS.

TR is picky with its RAM, but I seem to have it right and I'm currently running 64GB of 3200Mhz C14 on out of the box XMP profiles.

• limetech locked and unpinned this topic