Parity disk (RAID0 Volume on Areca) shows as missing after reboot.

I recently created a RAID0 Volume on an Areca 1210 controller which is assigned as parity in slot 0. After building parity without problems I rebooted the server and noticed that the array was not started because parity showed as missing. Reassigning the RAID0 volume fixed this and the array was started without issues and parity shows as valid. This morning the same thing happened after booting the server, the array was not started and parity showed as missing. Again manually assigning the parity fixed it. The Areca controller and RAID0 volume show up in the log but that is as far as my knowledge goes. Can someone tell me what is wrong and possibly ho to fix this? Diagnostics are attached.

tower1-diagnostics-20180205-1336.zip

The problem is the # in the name, this is how it's detected:

Feb  5 13:34:39 Tower1 emhttpd: ARC-1210-VOL#00_0000001654047027_20004d927fffff800 (sdd) 512 15628072960

This is what unRAID is looking for after a reboot:

[name] => parity
            [device] => sdd
            [id] => ARC-1210-VOL

So everything after and including the # is missing, don't know if you can change the name on the Areca bios, if not maybe create a defect report.

44 minutes ago, dikkiedirk said:

Do you type over the name in the Areca BIOS. Can you avoid parity resync that way? Have to do a parity check anyway.

Yes - just type over it. I don't think Delete key works. Just hit spaces.

If you are running the "Dynamix SCSI Devices" plugin, I would think it would take care of this though. You should be running it.

If the parity drive is there but with a different name, you can do a new config, retain settings, reassign the parity to the one with the corrected name, and trust parity when you start the array. I would do a parity check, though.

52 minutes ago, dikkiedirk said:

Thanks for the headsup. Will look into that plugin. I started the array without parity and stopped it. That way the parity showed as unassigned an I assigned the volume with the new name. I will run a parity check anyway.

Now that I think of it, the plugin probably wouldn't help with a RAID0 volume, although it may change the logical drive name anyway. It is important to use the plugin if running in JBOD mode OR if running in RAID mode and are passing through specific disks on the Areca (a disk plugged into an Areca in RAID mode is not visible to the OS unless you pass it through, unlike JBOD mode). So, as I said, you should install the plugin to use the other 2 Areca ports, which might change the drive names assigned to the RAID0. The process I laid out above should allow you to fix the array without rebuilding parity again.