Total Newbie: New unRAID build - HW configuration

TreksterDK

Hey

I am thinking of doing an unRAID fileserver. And that will be it's only purpose - to be a file server/NAS. I already have a small server for Plex etc. which have 2 HDD in it. My plan is to keep running that server (which is connected directly to my TV with HDMI, which gives me the option to also  browse etc. on it), remove the HDD's and move them to the new server, and then change the Plex media file locations, to the new unRAID server.

I was thinking of buying the following components:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kgKYPs

Which I seem to be able to get at a fair price in Denmark.

Is that a compatible build for unRAID?

What I am trying to do is to come up with a budget build, that is possible to expand upon. I do not intend to add all drives from the get go. I already have the 2 WD drives and plan to get 2 SG drives in my initial purchase.

What are you general thought?

What and where can i Improve/what should i change?

Just give me you total honest answers please ;)

Thanks in advance.

...Allan

Regarding CPU/MOBO:

I understand wanting to save some $$, but if you're buying new, I would look at hardware that is maybe a bit more current. Maybe an Intel platform with a low end Pentium in a 1151socket to start and give yourself room to grow down the road.

These are a few options that keep the price low, while not locking you into dead technology: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jrh6f8

Note: I haven't researched the ram and mobo, so not an absolute recommendation. That said, the board does have 6 sata ports (which is more than enough for you now). When you add more drives in the future, you can always add a 2 or 4 port sata card (monoprice sells them for 20USD. A used 8-port sas card from ebay generally runs about $50 also). It also has 2 full length pci-e slots, a 1x pci-e slot (which is fine for a 2 port sata card) and even a pci slot, which in a pinch, would be ok for 2 sata ports as well.

Just an example that will give you a much more powerful machine, with room to grow without needing to replace everything in a few years if you decide you might want to do more (dockers, move plex to the server, maybe VMs)....

So, to summarize, I'd stay away from dead tech (if buying new), and look at something entry level that has room for expansion down the road (and at a similar price)...

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.  Some thoughts:

• Nice case, but
  • Hot swap bays for the drives would be even nicer if you can afford/justify.  They almost completely eliminate cabling issues which plague DIY NAS's.
  • Power supply maybe a little under-powered for all those drives?
  • Completely agree with DoeBoye on going with a more modern CPU/motherboard.
  • 4GB is adequate for a basic NAS but seems overly frugal for buying new.  I'd go with at least 8GB for a new system.
  • You might not always want to run Plex on your HTPC, getting something powerful enough to run Plex on your server won't cost much and might be worthwhile.  Even a current Pentium like the G4560 has a lot more horsepower, uses less power, and could do a little transcoding if necessary.
  • Like 1

All very good points :)

I have changed the build slightly:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/73gLr6

It seems to be impossible to get the Fractal Design - Node 804 case for now. I may be able to get one - second hand - in about  2 weeks, so for now i will just buy the cheapest one i can get that fits the shelf where it will reside.

I have upped the power supply a little, but it is a cheaper model though. What do you think?

...Allan

I like your changes, but if you can spend a few more $...

I'd get a slightly newer processor.  The G4400 is Skylake, but starting with Kaby Lake there is hardware support for 4k HEVC, should you ever need it.  I think it's worth the extra $20 to go to the G4560 or G4600 if your main concern is media/Plex.  It will work on the same motherboard.  I'd also get at least a Bronze rated power supply for the better power efficiency.  As a tradeoff, I'm sure you could spend less on the cooler.   I can get a perfectly good cooler for $15 if needed, assuming you don't need something low profile, low noise, etc.

The updated list is looking good! Some great recommendations from tdallen!

A few thoughts:

1. That CPU comes with heatsink/fan. Are you sure you even need an aftermarket option? Might be a place to save a few bucks...
  2. Your case choice comes with a PSU already... A different case without a PSU might save you a few more $ as well.
  3. What are the size limitations for this case? Might help deciding. Also, how many drives do you need it to hold?
  4. What's the hardware of the current server running Plex? Have you considered combining both servers into one? Might save on $ and electricity... Unraid has some pretty great docker options for Plex...

The case is without PSU. The option without PSU for that model was not available on partspicker. I know it is a boxed model, but they are really noisy those default coolers. That's why I initially thought to buy a new one. The case is only temporary I will get a bigger one later. It was the cheapest one i could find for now.