(Solved, Wrong Question) Is there a reason not to enable the Windows ACL's for SMB?

Warrentheo

I now realize this was the wrong question for my issue, moved to a better question here: 
I am talking about the smb.conf settings:

vfs objects = acl_xattr
map acl inherit = yes
store dos attributes = yes

Which I found here: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs

Does this break unRaid in some way if enabled?

Is there a reason it doesn't have a GUI option to enable it?

I am trying to setup unRaid to be a Windows Home folder server, but without AD or anything... When I attempt to set the folder as the User profile and home folder for a Windows user I get a "Security settings could not be applied to the shared folder" style error message...  Is this normal for linking Windows to a Linux SMB?  

I consider myself above average on Windows knowledge, but still learning when it comes to Linux as well as security settings in general...

I am mainly shooting to move user folders and other data off the KVM/QEMU Windows VM, and only have bare minimum necessary Windows files remaining on the VM vdisk, but with the user folders still being able to set all their permissions they need like it was a native disk...  I prefer to not simply add a second vdisk just for user shares, since that is not easily accessed from other clients...  Let me know if I am going about this the wrong way to accomplish that...

Your help is appreciated in advance, and thank you

Edited by Warrentheo
15 hours ago, Warrentheo said:

Does this break unRaid in some way if enabled?

Is there a reason it doesn't have a GUI option to enable it?

Sorry, file not found for me. Guessing it hasn't come up before.   It's probably over kill, but may want to make a user share specifically for this purpose just to sandbox your files. I'd have to look up how xfs, samba, linux carries around Windows ACL (ie. can it be carried around in linux cp/mv commands).  If you get this working I would be interested in your settings to play around with this.

15 hours ago, Warrentheo said:

Is this normal for linking Windows to a Linux SMB?  

Assuming you haven't added the lines to your samba config, then yes I would say the error is normal because it can't apply the Windows ACLs (not supported).  If you have added the samba lines, I'd guess something is amiss. 

If you get this going, I'd love a lesson on How to do this, or even just a URL with instructions if you're using that.

I must admit I am at the knowing just enough to be dangerous point in my self training on this matter...  But that link I put above seems to have more info on it...  Apparently XFS and a few others have an "acl_xattr" option built in, and the settings just toggle allowing Samba to expose that part of the file system to Windows...  When I did enable it, it seemed to allow the normal Windows security settings window to mostly work as intended, but some of the settings would not stick (owner to root folders of the share for instance), and most importantly, it still gave that error when I tried too move the user folder over...  However there is a fairly high possibility that I am screwing up the Windows side of it, and that the Linux/Samba/XFS is working correctly...  And may even be working correctly without these changes...  More investigation is needed...

Windows OneDrive and GoogleDrive folders didn't like being on the share even when I manually assigned them...  My current work around is to create a second/data drive image just for them, then use the built in windows "Known Folders" move tool to move most of the user folders to the Samba share...  Less than ideal, and still trying to figure out a better option...

Edited by Warrentheo