Jump to content
skyline7349

Plugin to check video integrity

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Is there a plugin that will scan media files integrity? Ive put movies/shows on my server that sometimes get corrupted and i dont find out until midway through the movie which is annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post

How/why are they getting corrupted should be your biggest question. O.o

Share this post


Link to post
On 06/02/2018 at 4:51 PM, skyline7349 said:

Is there a plugin that will scan media files integrity? Ive put movies/shows on my server that sometimes get corrupted and i dont find out until midway through the movie which is annoying. 

 

As Kizer says, understanding why / how this happens is key.

 

Some suggestions....

Are you running regular parity checks?  Any errors there?

Are the corruptions random or always the same?

Have you run a Memtest lately (ideally for a few cycles)?  RAM can go bad silently over time, and the results can be anything from obvious to almost invisible..

Do you have the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 HBA card connected to your drives?  It can cause file corruption under some circumstances.  If so, disabling VT-d in your BIOS and disabling interrupt 16 in the cards BIOS settings can help if you don't othewise need them enabled.

Can you tell us anything about your hardware? Can you post diagnostics?

Lastly, have you looked at this plugin... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/9/2018 at 10:08 AM, kizer said:

How/why are they getting corrupted should be your biggest question. O.o

 

I think it might be due to the source im downloading them from. Atleast im hoping thats the reason.

 

On 2/9/2018 at 12:40 PM, S80_UK said:

 

As Kizer says, understanding why / how this happens is key.

 

Some suggestions....

Are you running regular parity checks?  Any errors there?

Are the corruptions random or always the same?

Have you run a Memtest lately (ideally for a few cycles)?  RAM can go bad silently over time, and the results can be anything from obvious to almost invisible..

Do you have the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 HBA card connected to your drives?  It can cause file corruption under some circumstances.  If so, disabling VT-d in your BIOS and disabling interrupt 16 in the cards BIOS settings can help if you don't othewise need them enabled.

Can you tell us anything about your hardware? Can you post diagnostics?

Lastly, have you looked at this plugin... 

 

 

-Yes i run parity checks every night and sometimes there are errors. 

-I havent run mem test yet so ill try that.

-I downloaded that plugin but i havent set it up yet.

 

 

Im wondering if turning the server off every night could be an issue. 

 

I actually didnt notice how long it takes for parity check so could it be an issue if the server turns off before the parity check finishes? I turn off every night at 1am.

Edited by skyline7349

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, skyline7349 said:

Yes i run parity checks every night and sometimes there are errors. 

Why do you run it every night?

4 hours ago, skyline7349 said:

I turn off every night at 1am.

How, exactly? If you are just cutting power, that would explain alot.

Share this post


Link to post

When I was getting CRC errors copying to my server it turned out to be 1 of the sticks of RAM, even though it passed all memory tests successfully. I confirmed this by moving the suspect RAM stick into another machine running Windows which caused it to randomly blue screen.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.