V6 newbie and lost (FIXED)

truck24000

Love the idea of the UNRAID system and at the moment i have roughly 15TB of hard drives with about 8TB of data i dont really want ot lose. I have one 4TB drive for parity thats empty right now and all the rest of my drives have data on them that i really dont want to lose. I have 2 external USB drives both 4TB that are almost full that i didnt count in my 15TB pool.  I want to use the HDD as i move things around but i DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT! ive searched and looked at every video i could find and i still have no idea what to do.  my system is as follows Windows 10 at the moment with internal hardware as follows

Gigabyte 970A-D3P

AMD FX-8320

16 gigs memory

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610

Samsung SSD 120GB

WD 4TB

WD 3TB

WD 2TB

WD 2TB

WD 2TB

Seagate 2TB

Hitachi 4TB USB Drive

WD My Book 4TB USB Drive

what im trying to say is i want to use the drives i have now and move them all into UNRAID without having to buy any hard drives at the moment. then as each drive is transferred onto UNRAID i want to install it into the system to make the room for each drive that i do.  Does that make sense?

Do you have backups? Even if all this data were in unRAID with parity, you would still need backups. Parity is not a substitute for backups. There are plenty of ways to lose data that don't involve a failed disk.

To answer your question, if you have 15TB of drive space but only 8TB of data, you could move the data between the drives so you wind up with some disks empty. For example, 8TB of data will all fit on your 4x2TB disks, leaving the 4TB and 3TB empty to use in unRAID. You could use the 4TB for parity and the 3TB for data.

Once you have an unRAID system going with those empty drives, you could use the Unassigned Devices plugin to mount the other (Windows) disks outside the array, and copy their data to the array. When you have one disk copied, you could add it to the array (it would be cleared and formatted) and go on to the next disk. You could even shuck those external disks from their cases and add them to unRAID after you get their data off.

But I would really like to stress the need for backups. You don't have to backup everything, but you should at least decide what is truly irreplaceable, and keep an extra copy of those files somewhere, even after you get your data in unRAID with parity.

I,m sorry i read back through my post and i see i forgot to mention where i have not started my UNRAID system yet.  i need to find out how to start with what i have and then slowly add the drives as i move the data to the array.

at the moment i have the hardware i mentioned in the first post in use as a system i am using now which is not in any way shape or form any type of raid system.

i want to make what i have now an UNRAID system but worried i will lose some of my data in the process.  i do video editing of real estate videos so i have a ton of bits and pieces of videos but need to save them as i use them in my projects.

does any of this make sense?

and now that i tried to start out i did the USB like it said to do but when i boot from the USB my system goes to repair my computer and then shuts it down?

i'm an old man (mid 50's) and i'm not that great with computers to start with.

what did i do wrong lol

16 minutes ago, truck24000 said:

now that i tried to start out i did the USB like it said to do but when i boot from the USB my system goes to repair my computer and then shuts it down?

i'm an old man (mid 50's) and i'm not that great with computers to start with.

what did i do wrong lol

Plenty of people here older than you. Me for example.

Sounds like it isn't booting from the flash drive. You need to go into your BIOS or at least into a screen that allows you to select the boot device.

• 2 months later...

Archived