unraid system not showing up in network

it just kind of happened. I'm guessing after 6.4 update maybe. but the unraid system doesn't show up in network attached computers in windows. I can still access it with it's ip but i don't have a friendly icon to click on. I made sure smb sharing was on and that they are on the same workgroup. also that on the windows pc that network discovery and sharing are turned on. 

any ideas?

Windows 10?  It is likely this is not an unRAID issue.  WIndows 10 networking is a mess.  I have had this happen on a couple of different Windows 10 machines.  Is SMB 1.0 enabled on the Windows computer?  I did everything you mentioned as well.  Sometimes that will fix it (if something was not enabled).  But, I found two Windows 10 computers on which SMB 1.0 was not enabled. As soon as I enabled it, unRAID (and other network devices that had disappeaed) showed up.  SMB v1 is disabled by default in the latest Windows 10 Fall Update.  Everyone says to disable it for security purposes, but, without it, unRAID may not show up.

• Like 1

yes to windows 10, but i don't think it's the fall update that did it, because I had the update before i started really using my unraid machine and it was working a month ago and I did the 6.4 upgrade about 3 weeks ago. 

edit, but hey what do you know, smb1 was enabled. so i disabled it and re-enabled it and it's showing it again. Thanks Hoopster

Edited by s_mason16

I'd still check to see if SMB 1.0 is enabled.  Other Windows updates can disable it.  I have been through several 6.4 RCs as well as 6.4.0 and 6.4.1 updates on two servers and never lost my servers in Windows networks.  When I had the issues, it was always resolved by enabling/resetting/reconfiguring something on my Windows machines.

EDIT:  Just saw your edited reply.  Glad it is working for you now.

Edited by Hoopster

You should probably read the 6 to 8 posts following this one and look at the links:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-606752

As has been said, Win10 SMB access has been a headache off-and-on since Win10 was introduced.  Plus, it forces automatic updates without the user being truly aware that the update has happened.  I hope you can find a solution to your problem.  Most folks find that SMB tends to work better when your unRAID server is the Local Master and is on 24-7.