Looking to hire someone to help with a down server

Guardian 1

All, apologies up front if I'm breaking any of the forum rules.  I'm in a desperate situation.  I made a huge investment in hardware and storage and built my own unRAID server over a year ago.  To say I have zero Linux knowledge would be understating my credentials.  Long story short I have over 40TB of content I can no longer access (MCE - i can get to command line but can't get to GUI).  There is a very long, boring and frustrating story behind this but at this point all I'm looking for is to hire someone to figure out what my options are.  If anyone knows who I could contact please send me the information.

Many Thanks,

RS

Before starting to offer money - why not just describe all the facts you have as best as you can. The world is full of people who like to help for free.

Just make sure that you don't hurry - never do anything that endangers the data already stored on the server unless you are sure that you are getting good advice.

7 hours ago, Guardian 1 said:

All, apologies up front if I'm breaking any of the forum rules.  I'm in a desperate situation.  I made a huge investment in hardware and storage and built my own unRAID server over a year ago.  To say I have zero Linux knowledge would be understating my credentials.  Long story short I have over 40TB of content I can no longer access (MCE - i can get to command line but can't get to GUI).  There is a very long, boring and frustrating story behind this but at this point all I'm looking for is to hire someone to figure out what my options are.  If anyone knows who I could contact please send me the information.

Many Thanks,

RS

I agree with @pwm. You are likely to get good free advice here. If there is heavy lifting or data loss involved, paid services may be necessary, but for now let's just start with what happened between the last time the server was running successfully and now. Did you upgrade? Reboot?. Have a power outage? What? And what are the current symptoms?

If you'd like to contact me via PM, feel free. But one doctor is not as good as a surgical team. And having several of us weighing in is going to get you up and running the quickest (or if not up and running, at least following good and safe next steps). We are not interchangeable, and come with different strengths and experiences.

It is good you are reaching out for assistance. Trying random solutions based on reading the forums and following solutions to problems that sound similar to yours is a recipe for disaster. It is 100x more likely to make the problem worse than solve it if you are in over your head.

Thanks all.  Very cool community here.  I will do my best to provide information that may help.  I will error on the side of to much is better than not enough so here we go.  Build and logs attached that I have so far.  I built this server myself in December of 2016.  Everything in the build was brand new.  The first indication of a problem was whenever I tried to play a 4K MKV it would crash my server.  I tried troubleshooting and could never figure out the cause.  I could play anything but 4K and did not have any issues.  I tried removing all memory (left in minimum to boot and then swapped that memory module to make sure I didn't keep the one bad module out of the 16 I had), removing the solid state, replaced the video card.  Nothing fixed the 4k crash.  The only components I have not removed or replaced are; motherboard, CPU and LSI Internal RAID controller.  I did not want to touch these was worried I would screw up the unRAID configuration and lose all of my content on the RAID array. 

So I just used without streaming 4k content.  The next symptom I noticed is the server was crashing and rebooting randomly.  Then about a month ago it crashed and did not reboot and recover.  The only data I have on this current state is it will crash every time at the point when I chose option 2 to load the GUI.  If I chose command line (not sure what the right term is) it will boot.  But since I know zero about Linux I have no idea what to do from here.  Last I was able to take a pic of a screen shot that reported mce: [Hardware Error] CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 5 Bank 17: (I also attached this pic with a little more information).

In the attached I list out my build along with some other inf

Guardian now Watson System Devices 01.03.17.docx

Watson Crash.txt

Watson Crash 2.txt

watson-syslog-20170103-1859.zip

watson-diagnostics-20170103-1857.zip

Watson Power Consumption.xlsx

MCE .jpg

Guardian now Watson System Devices 01.03.17.docx

1 hour ago, Guardian 1 said:

The only components I have not removed or replaced are; motherboard, CPU and LSI Internal RAID controller.  I did not want to touch these was worried I would screw up the unRAID configuration and lose all of my content on the RAID array. 

The great thing about unRAID, and why it is not RAID, is each disk is an independent filesystem and so can be read independently of other disks, and indeed independently of your other hardware.

Also, unRAID doesn't really install and so doesn't really remember anything about your hardware. Instead it figures out your hardware each time it boots.

So worst case you should be able to keep your data even if you have to change your hardware. Many of us have upgraded motherboards, CPUs, and other parts of our system and our data is there after booting the new hardware.

What version of unRAID are you running?

Have you booted in SAFE mode?

Have you tried redownloading unRAID and preparing your flash drive fresh? You should be able to just backup up the config folder from your flash drive, prepare the flash as a new install, then copy your config folder back and boot up.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:19 AM, Guardian 1 said:

I can no longer access (MCE - i can get to command line but can't get to GUI)

If I am interpreting this correctly, you can't get it to boot if you select the GUI option in the boot menu. Of course, there is no need to boot into GUI mode anyway. My server is headless (no monitor or keyboard attached) so I can only access it over the network anyway, and the webUI (plus occasional ssh) does everything I need.

Two things I would recommend initially - check if there is a newer BIOS for the motherboard. And backup the config folder of the USB drive and then rebuild the flash drive and restore the configuration.

BIOS updates tends to correct incompatibilities with processor modells and memory modules.

And if you are unlucky, you might break the file system on the USB drive when the computer crashes so best to rebuild the boot drive.

How fast did the machine crash when you played 4k video? Any indication it might run hot? Did you try any other burn-in programs to see if it would fail for other tasks that produced high CPU load?

All, great feedback thank you.  I did trouble shoot to make sure it was not a power problem (did not mention this) and there is zero indication of a heat problem.  Nothing being reported from the Chassis or motherboard.  The 4K problem would crash within 30 seconds of playing.  Thanks for the information on how unRAID works that is a huge relief that if I need to I can rebuild the hardware.  Since I'm illiterate when it comes to Linux can someone provide the steps to backup the config folder and how to rebuild unRAID on the memory stick?  I will research how to update or restore the BIOS on the motherboard.  Thanks again I appreciate the support.  As you can tell I invested a lot of money into this config with the idea I would build my media library and have this for a very long time.

RS

8 minutes ago, Guardian 1 said:

the steps to backup the config folder and how to rebuild unRAID on the memory stick?

The flash drive can be put in your PC and you can make a copy of the config folder. Then if you format the flash you can start over with a new install by following the directions on the Limetech Download page. Then, before booting up with the newly prepared flash drive, copy the config folder back. The config folder has everything you need to get back running as before, including the license key for that flash drive and the disk assignments.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you make out with this?

I agree with the other posters.

If you are on 6.3 I would definitely Backup your config. Reformat thumb drive to latest version of unRAID.

I had a lot of memory problems that all went away with 6.4.

Edited by spazmc
punctuation
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ok, I,m rebuilding by unRAID server.  Is there any known issues with running UnRAID 6.4 with Dual INTEL XEON Processors E5-2670 Eight Core 20M Cache 2.6?  Thanks again for any help anyone can provide. 
I use dual E5-2630 v4 processors without any issues.
18 hours ago, Guardian 1 said:

Perfect.  Thanks all.  I will update back once I have rebuilt my server.  Long story short the SuperMicro motherboard crapped out.  That motherboard and the only one that is supported in my SuperMicro chassis is obsolete.  Therefore, I'm rebuilding.

RS

What board are you going with? The one  in my signature (ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 ) has a ton of features and is quite stable, but it has a bug where it constantly reports cpus overheating for a second or two. I get dozens of emails a day about it. Very annoying.