unraid won't boot

Darksurf

I currently own a copy of Unraid Pro and swear by it.

A buddy has become interested and wanted to get the trial copy going before buying.

He bought a suggested flash drive, imaged it, and it just hangs.

I tried another distro, it also hangs at INIT and complains of microcode needing to be 0x22 or higher (it currently IS 0x22).

These 2 distros have one thing in common, they're using a much more recent kernel.

System is currently using ubuntu 16.04 just fine with a 4.4 kernel. What is happening here?

On unraid it boots all the way up to INIT: version 2.88 booting and it hangs right around there.

sometimes it gets to mounting tmpfs and hangs, but it never gets much further. 

I have no way to get logs or anything useful. We've tried disabling ACPI, we added the acpi=off noacpi noapic flags, but it doesn't help.

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

booting from SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35

I've tried unraid 6.4.1, 6.4.0, 6.3.5

Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4 GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor

ASUS P9D-M Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 1600/1333 (Latest BIOS 1801)
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B

Edited by Darksurf
7 minutes ago, trurl said:

The proper way to prepare the flash drive for unRAID is explained on the Download page:

https://lime-technology.com/download/

Yes, this method was used. (windows)

It was then changed 6.4.0, and then 6.3.5, and back to 6.4.1 in Linux with no change. 

UEFI is not being used. BIOS CSM is set to legacy only.

The current method just takes the flash drive, formats fat32, and sets the bootable flag on the partition, then drops the zip contents on the flashdrive.

Forgot to mention. Unraid boots perfectly fine on his desktop when booting from the drive. It just seems to have a problem with his server.

Edited by Darksurf
7 minutes ago, CCNB said:

I used the method mentioned to prepare the USB. The USB will boot on my desktop but will not boot with my server. 

What kind of server? 

Is it by any chance an HP prolient server? Based on a quick search, it appears they have had issues.

In bios settings, do you have anything similar to "USB - Fully initialized at boot"?

This is one that I built. This is the hardware I used.

Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4 GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor

ASUS P9D-M Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 1600/1333 (Latest BIOS 1801)
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
EVGA GeForce 210 DirectX 10.1 01G-P3-1313-KR 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP

To help others, heres links to relating posts on 'TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata' 

Arch topic - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=230516

Git Kernel commit - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=73b866d89bf7c9a895d5445faad03fa3d56c8af8

Picture 3 shows this bug, - Maybe this is the same issue causing your failure to boot?

unfortunately neither of those hold a solution. One is fixed by updating the ucode/microcode. microcode 0x22 (2017) is already installed. To take the newest microcode would be the spectre fixes that make the CPU unstable (thanks intel). The other is about VMs and hypervisor patches when this is bare metal.

To help others, heres links to relating posts on 'TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata' 

Arch topic - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=230516

Git Kernel commit - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=73b866d89bf7c9a895d5445faad03fa3d56c8af8

Picture 3 shows this bug, - Maybe this is the same issue causing your failure to boot?

Currently I am running Ubuntu and looking to switch to unraid. From my ubuntu /proc/cpuinfo it shows I have the current micro code that is recommended.  

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 60
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0x22
cpu MHz         : 2057.929
cache size      : 8192 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm epb tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts
bugs            :
bogomips        : 6785.06
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

So is there a way to add intel-ucode patching at boot? His BIOS are not receiving updates at this point so he's not getting any new microcode updates from his BIOS. I'm currently under the impression that intel microcode updates would fix his issue. There are 2 ways to update the microcode and upgrades are on volatile memory in the CPU meaning its gone on power loss. CPUs come with a base microcode and then can be pushed patches from BIOS or during early boot/kernel loading. Does unraid have a method of adding microcode updates?

Edited by Darksurf