HELP! CRC Error Count warnings all over since updating to 6.4.1

Please tell me these are false flags caused by some bug in the update.  Yesterday all 3 of my servers had the green thumbs up for every drive and now this morning after updating all 3 from 6.4 to 6.4.1 I've got warnings on 3 of 11 data disks in my home server, the cache drive of my new backup server, and parity + 6 of 8 data drives(!) in my shared plex server.  Where the heck are these coming from all the sudden?  The only error in the log for all 3 is something about a wrong csrf_token in the root folder but let me know if you need diagnostics and/or smart reports for the flagged drives to help sort it out.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, pwm said:

One of the good things with release notes is that they tend to inform users what to expect when they update. And any steps that are recommended/needed before updating.

You mean this, buried way near the bottom:

• webgui: Included SMART attribute 199

Yeah funny I wouldn't know what that meant exactly when I read the release notes before updating (like I always do). But thanks for your input.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

No, this:

Exactly.

On 1/17/2018 at 5:38 AM, ljm42 said:

Starting wth 6.4.1, unRAID now monitors SMART attribute 199 (UDMA CRC errors) for you.  If you get an alert about this right after upgrading, you can just acknowledge it, as the error probably happened in the past.  If you get an alert down the road, it is likely due to a loose SATA cable. Reseat both ends, or replace if needed. (see this)

16 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Reporting on crc errors is new in 6.4.1.   The first time you run this release you will be warned about crc errors on any disk for which the value is not zero (probably most of them).   If you acknowledge these you will only get new notifications when the value increases.

Thanks itimpi.  I understand these errors are caused by faulty connections to the disks and no doubt most of these for me happened when I was using the SAS2LP-MV8 and had drives dropping all over the place (including during parity checks).  But should I be concerned about the health of the drives themselves?  I'm not even sure I can still RMA any if I need to but I've got 4x 6TB WD Reds that all show CRC error counts over 1,000,000.  

Just now, ElJimador said:

Thanks itimpi.  I understand these errors are caused by faulty connections to the disks and no doubt most of these for me happened when I was using the SAS2LP-MV8 and had drives dropping all over the place (including during parity checks).  But should I be concerned about the health of the drives themselves?  I'm not even sure I can still RMA any if I need to but I've got 4x 6TB WD Reds that all show CRC error counts over 1,000,000.  

The transfer errors are very seldom caused by errors with the drives - it's normally the SATA cables. Sometimes a specific SATA controller port.

As long as the counters doesn't tick up then you are home free.

12 minutes ago, pwm said:

Exactly.

Oh yeah, there it is.  Not important enough to explain in the release notes but right there in the middle of page 5 if I had printed out the update notes to thoroughly scour along side them.  Boy how could anyone miss that?  

Anyway I do appreciate the better understanding of these error counts and the fact that these warnings are in the GUI now.  I'll mark the warnings as acknowledged and not worry about the drives themselves or their connections unless I see new warnings in the future.

16 minutes ago, pwm said:

My quote is from the first post of the thread I linked to.

The first post which if you print out, the specific bullet you're referring to would appear in the middle of page 5.  For warning flags that might make people worry about the health of a considerable investment in hard drives, you'd think maybe it would be featured a little more prominently than that.  But maybe that's just me.  Regardless, I didn't need your snide little "release notes are your friend" aside to begin with, as if I'm 10 years old and never heard of release notes.  For $300+ in unRAID licenses, I expect support on this forum (which is usually terrific btw) not condescension.  

First bullet under the heading "Solutions to Common Problems" in the first post of the thread. That's quite prominent.

And it isn't a snide note - it's a note that in some situations it can be quite important to read the release notes before updating. Especially since some installations will require additional actions to maintain networking, web access, cache functionality etc. Some people who skipped reading the release notes have had to return back to 6.3.5 and perform some preconditioning before they can jump back up to 6.4.x.

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, ElJimador said:

...I'll mark the warnings as acknowledged and not worry about the drives themselves or their connections unless I see new warnings in the future...

Could someone please tell me how to mark these as acknowledged?  I can't for the life of me figure out how to acknowledged the error in unRAID.

I only have 2 stinking CRC errors on one drive and I've had to disable the warning because of the emails from unRAID.

THANK YOU!

craigr

If you go to the Dashboard and scroll to the Array section then the drives in question are probably showing with orange icons?   If so click on the SMART attributes for the drive in question and you will get a little drop-down menu with ‘acknowledge’ being one of the options.   There may be other ways to achieve this but that is the one I have been using.