SSD Trim on Cache Pool

Hi All,

Trying to get SSD trim working on my BTRFS Cache Pool with no success so far. 

Here's the rundown:

• Dell R510 12 Bay with dual X5650s
  • 48GB ECC RAM
  • 12 x SATA Drives formatted XFS totaling 44 TB -->  36 TB usable with dual parity.
  • 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVOs in RAID 1 BTRFS Cache Pool installed in the two 2.5" internal slots
  • LSI 9207-8i flashed to latest IT Firmware (Started as an HP H220)

Started with a Dell H200 flashed to LSI-9211-8i IT Mode Firmware but soon found out that the SAS 2008 chip doesn't agree with SSD trim. Looked around the forums/reddit and found a few posts suggesting that the LSI-9207-8i with the newer SAS 2308 so have purchased, flashed and installed but still getting an error saying "the discard operation is not supported" when I try to run fstrim manually on the cache pool.

Any ideas? Is there another controller I should try?

The R510 12 bay version doesn't allow use of any internal SATA ports on the motherboard so that's not an option. My only other though so far is to purchase a plain old SATA card and install just for the internal SSDs.

Thanks,

Jeff

5 minutes ago, Jeff Brown said:

Looked around the forums/reddit and found a few posts suggesting that the LSI-9207-8i with the newer SAS 2308 so have purchased, flashed and installed but still getting an error saying "the discard operation is not supported" when I try to run fstrim manually on the cache pool.

Trim should work on the 9207, but there are some reports of it no longer working on latest unRAID, maybe some driver change? If you want downgrade to v6.3.5 and check it's working there to confirm.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Trim should work on the 9207, but there are some reports of it no longer working on latest unRAID, maybe some driver change? If you want downgrade to v6.3.5 and check it's working there to confirm.

Much appreciated - how would I go about downgrading? Any concerns with docker/vm/plugin compatibility etc. switching between versions? 

Should I do a parity check first? 

Had a look and see that 6.4.1 is out - I'm currently on 6.4. Should I attempt the upgrade first?

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeff Brown said:

how would I go about downgrading?

If you updated from the GUI you'll have a previous folder on the flashdrive, just overwrite the root files with those.

Any concerns with docker/vm/plugin compatibility etc. switching between versions? 

It would be best to disable docker and VM services just in case.

Should I do a parity check first? 

Not needed

Should I attempt the upgrade first?

You can try that, in that case you won't be able to then downgrade using the previous folder but you can download v6.3.5 from LT's download page.

On 2018-02-12 at 5:49 PM, johnnie.black said:

If you updated from the GUI you'll have a previous folder on the flashdrive, just overwrite the root files with those.

It would be best to disable docker and VM services just in case.

Not needed

You can try that, in that case you won't be able to then downgrade using the previous folder but you can download v6.3.5 from LT's download page.

Downgraded to 6.3.5 and appears the same issue is present.

Discard operation is not supported.

Any other ideas how I might go about troubleshooting? 

Thanks,

Jeff

EDIT: Also upgraded to 6.4.1 out of curiosity and same issue

Edited by Jeff Brown
Tried 6.4.1
5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

No, trim on a 9207 on v6.3.5 works without issues.

Absolutely positive this isn’t the case for me. I’m not sure if it’s the specific combo of controller and SSD that I have, or if it’s an issue with having first upgraded to 6.4 and then downgrading to 6.3.5 but I can assure you there IS in fact some issue present. 

With that said, I do apppreciate the suggestions but still am faced with the same problem. 

Should i I consider looking into a different controller, different SSDs, a SATA card or a fresh install of unRAID etc at this point?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1 year later...

based on other post on this forum discussing the exact requirements and issues with trim on hba’s and lates5 firmwares / unraid releases (cant find it but do a search on trim)

I moved from a flashed H200 up to a LSI 9300-8i (tnx ebay for cheap chinese card if you are not in a hurry) and also replaced all my evo 950’s with 960’s and got fully btrfs trim working finally. You need the proper card and the proper drive now to get it working on btrfs otherwise you are out of luck. nice little speedboost as well with faster hba.

Before that i had to temporary connect to motherboard sata , do trim and connect back to hba.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, glennv said:

I moved from a flashed H200 up to a LSI 9300-8i (tnx ebay for cheap chinese card if you are not in a hurry)

You may (or not) want to get in contact with Broadcom (LSI) and and check to see if it's a counterfeit.

My data is too important to me, I'll stick with used server pulls, since very few servers would be built with lowest budget parts.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jonathanm said:

You may (or not) want to get in contact with Broadcom (LSI) and and check to see if it's a counterfeit.

My data is too important to me, I'll stick with used server pulls, since very few servers would be built with lowest budget parts.

The old card that did not work was a serverpull. This one no idea but works like a charm, better , faster (8 ssd’s) and way way cooler on full load then the old serverpull card. Tested the crap out of it and its a beauty. Your mileage may vary with stuff from there.