Check Parity patly

Marino

Hi Guys,

I just transformed my with systems from FlexRAID and OpenMediaVault both to unRaid. And I am very happy with this decision.

So one thing ist there that I miss in unRaid, which exists in OMV, when using snapraid and I was wondering if thats possible to implement in unpaid.

By default snapraid checks only 7% of the parity. I could adjust it to a value I want. In unraid this seems not to be an option isn't it?

Beause of huge data, my system needs 15 hours to check. I shutdown the system and booting up vie WOL, when I need ist, because something won't work with S3. When it would be possible just to check 3-5 hours it would very handy vor me.

Maybe that cannot work, because of live parity computing instead of snapshots, but for me thats the only feature I miss on my system. FlexRaid could't to this either.

Kind regards

Nils

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a few discussions about this, and yes - would be very handy.  As drives are getting larger, parity checks are taking longer, and some of us want the ability to do this.  IIRC, some of the suggestions were...

- Ability to perform percentage of parity check (as you say)

- Ability to pause/resume parity check

- Only run parity check between certain times, and automatically pause/resume when time is up

- Automatically pause parity check when drives are busy

- Continuously run parity check automatically (say 5-10%/day?), so when it finishes it starts at the beginning again. Full parity check still available

- Others I can't remember

• 1 year later...

The parity Check Tuning plugin is now available (as long as you are running Unraid6.7 rc4 or later) that allows you to run a parity check in increments spread over several days.  See the forum Support thread for more details.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:41 PM, GeekMajic said:

I'd also add the ability to schedule the parity check to stop certain dockers prior to check and resume after. 

Interesting point.   If you have already scheduled parity check increments to run in system idle times I am not sure how much value this would add?    It is worth adding to the Wish List for the plugin as it does feel it should not be too difficult to implement if a strong case is made for including such a feature.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Marino said:

Thank you for pointing this out to me, this is a very interesting feature for me, as my servers are only running when I need them and my parity checks takes over 17 hours :(

It is worth pointing out that the current pause/resume capability that Limetech have introduced does not survive an array stop/start (and thus a reboot).  

This may be relevant to you as it means you cannot power off the server while a parity check is running unless you are prepared to start again from the beginning.

i have asked Limetech if they might provide a way for my plugin to start a parity check at a defined offset as this would allow the plugin to handle this scenario.   So far I have had no response either way (not sure if that is a good or a bad sign :) ).