Sign in to follow this  
SSD

Max memory GUI Issue (very low severity)

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

On the dashboard, the installed and max memory shows accurately:

5a8449f08c93b_Capture-MaxMemDash.thumb.PNG.0fd113fd59b197eae513c42ef08fec80.PNG

On the info dialog, it is not. 2T memory would be well beyond any x299 board!

5a8449fe2d2bd_Capture-MaxMemInfo.thumb.PNG.0ee72b2bad26db0e536b949571618933.PNG

Let me know if I can run any commands to help get this resolved. 

Thanks!

I see where the 1TB comes from. Wish it were true! But unless I can buy 256GB RAM sticks, I'm not going to get there. 

Physical Memory Array
        Use: System Memory
        Error Correction Type: None
        Maximum Capacity: 1 TB
        Number Of Devices: 2

Physical Memory Array
        Use: System Memory
        Error Correction Type: None
        Maximum Capacity: 1 TB
        Number Of Devices: 2

Looks like dmidecode is too optimistic about the memory configuration of your board.

Where does the data come from on the dashboard? If seems a more accurate source.

@SSD it seems there has been a misjudgement by the dmidecode parser of the webGui. Looking at the source code, $maximum_memory assumes the output of dmidecode would always be in GB which is incorrect as the scope of dmidecode is broader than that. Although the specifications page of the motherboard reports 64 GB maximum supported memory, it should be up to the BIOS to report a correct value that is then read by dmidecode. In this particular case the awk filtering of dmidecode is empty which makes $memory_installed its value. If you install only 4 GB of memory, it would say that the maximum capacity is 4 GB.

Edited by realies

1 hour ago, realies said:

@SSD it seems there has been a misjudgement of the dmidecode parser of the webGui. Looking at the source code, $maximum_memory assumes the output of dmidecode would always be in GB which is incorrect as the scope of dmidecode is broader than that. Although the specifications page of the motherboard reports 64 GB maximum supported memory, it should be up to the bios to report the correct value that is then read by dmidecode. In this particular case the awk filtering of dmidecode is empty which makes $memory_installed its value.

Thanks for reporting back. I think you are saying the info tab can't figure out the max memory so it just reports the installed memory as the max. And that it is just luck that it is correct. And that the best info is that the board supports 2T of memory. (Highest memory I have seem on any x299 is 128G and my board is 64G.)

I was just trying to be a good citizen and report the issue. It is not a problem for me. :)