Graphics card reset issue (AMD)?

I've created a new windows 10 vm and am passing through my AMD RX480x graphics card.

It works fine the first time, but after shutting down the vm, the vm will not start a second time without rebooting the whole tower.

From reading around I can see this might be a "reset bug", but more applicable to Nvidia than AMD cards?   Regardless, does anyone have a solution?

On 2/17/2018 at 4:01 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

Thank you for this

Just wanted to add on to this since it didn't cover restart's.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/101647/how-to-schedule-a-task-to-run-when-shutting-down-windows

"For those who prefer using the Task Scheduler, it's possible to schedule a task to run after a restart / shutdown has been initiated by setting the task to run after event 1074 in the System log in the Event Viewer has been logged. However, it's only good for very short task, which will run as long as the system is restarting / shutting down, which is usually only a few seconds.

• From the Task Scheduler:

Begin the task: On an event
    Log: System
    Source: USER32
    EventID: 1074

Oz Edri"

That's Start, Run "taskschd.msc",

Create basic task

Give it a name, Click next

Trigger: When a specific even is logged; Click next

Log: System   (you can type S, then down arrow x3 should get you there too)

Source: USER32  (not sure if its case sensitive, but I used all caps)

Event ID: 1074; Click next  (1074 is the log for shutdown's and restarts)

Action: Start a program; Click next

Program/script: Select your disable .bat file from the first url.  Leave "Add arguments" and "Start in" blank. Click next

Verify the information is correct then click Finish.

Can only confirm working on win10x64 w/ rx460  multiple reboots and restarts have all worked flawlessly.  I however have not had the chance for a windows update to fully "test" it, but I think it would still work.

On 2/18/2018 at 10:04 PM, Danica Sarain said:

Can only confirm working on win10x64 w/ rx460  multiple reboots and restarts have all worked flawlessly.  I however have not had the chance for a windows update to fully "test" it, but I think it would still work.

Haven't tested it, but from your documentation, I would bet $5 on working, for Windows 8/8.1 systems.  As for Windows updates I think that is appended to end of shutdown routines, so I too would think that would work.  If it doesn't work, that would be some interesting errors. :-)

My two wooden-nickels of theory-crafting.