UnRAID Server disappears from network after DHCP reservation

d5y4nick

After every reboot, my server's IP address would change so I had to go into my router's admin settings to find the its IP address again to log in to the Web UI. To fix this, I assigned my server a static IP on my network using my Netgear R6700's address reservation settings. I assigned it the IP 192.168.1.5 becasue that is the one it was automatically assigned at this point. After I did this, I rebooted my router and my server, expecting the server to come back with the same IP. Instead, the server is nowhere to be seen, either in my router settings or by typing in 192.168.1.5 to my browser. How can I fix this but still give my server a permanent IP address? 

One of the possibilities is the your router assigned another device to that address (192.168.1.5).  A bit of an explanation of how most routers work.   When using DHCP, the router  will start assigning requests from the bottom of its address range, work its way up the range to find and use the first available address.  So now you can see why the address it assigns may change.  Now there are several ways to assign permanent addresses for a specific device(s)/computer(s) and most of the time, you are going to have to read the big user manual manual for your router.  (You can find this on the manufacturer's website.) 

However, there is one 'trick' that you can use if you don't want to go through this hassle.  Assign the IP address at the top of the address range.  In your case, I would pick addresses between 192.168.1.240  and 192.168.1.250  as the DHCP process will never be using addresses this high.  (A friend of mine who was using home routers in a school environment found out that most routers choke at about 50 active addresses.)  You will be responsible to manually keep track of any addresses that you assign if you use this method! 

Having said that, it is still best to actually program the router to do one of two actions.  (1)  To assign a permanent  IP address to your server so that the router's DHCP process will only use that address when your router assigns an address to your server  or (2)   Set a permanent IP address on your server and reserve that address on the router so that the DHCP process will not use that address.  (By the way, you will need your server's MAC address when you do either of these.  You can find the MAC address by going to    Settings     >>>    Network Settings   and look under the 'Interface' section.)

Archived