Want to use my Unraid Device Over intenet To access My Files

Snooky

Don't!!!  IF you have to ask what is a very basic question, you haven't even the first idea of the problems you will be facing.  unRAID was never designed to an Internet facing server.  It is a NAS appliance.   Your unRAID server will be completely hacked  within half hour after you make it visible on the Internet. It has none of the features which are required to harden it for such use.  Keep it behind a firewall.

There are folks who do access it from the Internet but they are often are using a VPN service to do the task.  

What you could do is to reframe your question by disclosing what it is you want to do and who you want to be able do it.  If there is a secure way to do that (or if that type of access would not be wise), someone (or even a number of folks)  will point in the right direction. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Snooky said:

hello

i want to use my Unraid Device over the internet To access My Files, I have the static Ip and domain name.

But Dont Know How to Configure in the Unraid Device to make it online over the internet

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Don't!!!  IF you have to ask what is a very basic question, you haven't even the first idea of the problems you will be facing.  unRAID was never designed to an Internet facing server.  It is a NAS appliance.   Your unRAID server will be completely hacked  within half hour after you make it visible on the Internet. It has none of the features which are required to harden it for such use.  Keep it behind a firewall.

There are folks who do access it from the Internet but they are often are using a VPN service to do the task.  

What you could do is to reframe your question by disclosing what it is you want to do and who you want to be able do it.  If there is a secure way to do that (or if that type of access would not be wise), someone (or even a number of folks)  will point in the right direction. 

Please heed the above warning as before I asked the question I allowed this to happen thankfully I had absolutely no files on the array yet but I was hacked to crap immediately!

Accessing the unRAID directly from Internet is like sending out a lamb into the woods knowing a pack of very hungry wolves lives there.

The two reasonably safe options is to use a VPN solution or to use something like sshfs to tunnel file accesses over a ssh tunnel. But any safe way to share files requires the use of a strongly encrypted tunnel or someone will have your unRAID for dinner.

5 hours ago, Snooky said:

hello

i want to use my Unraid Device over the internet To access My Files, I have the static Ip and domain name.

But Dont Know How to Configure in the Unraid Device to make it online over the internet

Since we don't know exactly what you have already tried, it may be that you have already opened your server to hacking. Go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the complete zip.

There is a free tool called "TeamViewer that you can install in Windows on your home network. And you can install the Teamviewer client on a variety of devices (even phone and tablet).

Once installed, you can access your Windows workstation from a computer on the internet. Obviously you want a strong password, but it is hardened for Internet use and won't be hacked (or at least the risk is very low). Once connected you are remote controlling the workstation, which would let you access your files as though you were sitting at home. It also has upload/download features depending on the client you are using.

Is this what you are looking to do?

4 hours ago, bonienl said:

Also have a look at the Tonido docker, it allows remote file access without the need to open ports on your router/firewall.

I just installed this because I've been looking for easy external access and the ability to host my own dropbox like files. This is a great bit of software, thank you for sharing!

• 5 years later...