[Support] Djoss - Firefox

Djoss

Hi Djoss,

me again ;-)

So is there a possibility to have multiple instances of this docker? Why i am asking? So I would provide a firefox instance for my girlfriend and me, but with only one instance the other person which is connection, will see my session, my bookmarks etc. 

Anything I can do to achieve this?
Apps, settings, enable reinstall default. Apps, installed apps, select reinstall default on firefox

Change the name, host ports, and the host mapping for /config

Sent from my NSA monitored device

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Weird/basic question, but does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut to switch between or close Firefox windows? In the unRAID gui, for example, if I click on a docker log, the window goes full screen and I have no ability to just close that individual window (or navigate to something else) that I am aware of. 

Thanks in advance!

On 12/30/2019 at 5:14 PM, kaiguy said:

Weird/basic question, but does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut to switch between or close Firefox windows? In the unRAID gui, for example, if I click on a docker log, the window goes full screen and I have no ability to just close that individual window (or navigate to something else) that I am aware of. 

Thanks in advance!

Try the solution described here to make sure new windows are open in new tabs:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1193456

• Like 1

@Djoss I started using this docker today.  As always great work!

I use a few of your self-contained webUI dockers and I usually want to pipe the networking (VPN) through another docker.  When using one docker, this isn't a problem.  I just remove the ports in the Unraid template and forward the webUI to the port I want in the VPN docker (i.e. firefox 5800 -> 5800, vpn 5800 -> 1234).  However, when using 2 of your webUI dockers routed through the VPN docker together, I can't do it the same way because there will be a port conflict that I can not modify since it's hard coded (i.e. 5800).

Do you have any suggestions?  If this is not currently possible, I think this is a decent enhancement request.  Maybe specify the underlying port with an optionally defined environment variable for advanced configurations?

Thanks!

-JesterEE

On 1/6/2020 at 12:16 PM, JesterEE said:

@Djoss I started using this docker today.  As always great work!

I use a few of your self-contained webUI dockers and I usually want to pipe the networking (VPN) through another docker.  When using one docker, this isn't a problem.  I just remove the ports in the Unraid template and forward the webUI to the port I want in the VPN docker (i.e. firefox 5800 -> 5800, vpn 5800 -> 1234).  However, when using 2 of your webUI dockers routed through the VPN docker together, I can't do it the same way because there will be a port conflict that I can not modify since it's hard coded (i.e. 5800).

Do you have any suggestions?  If this is not currently possible, I think this is a decent enhancement request.  Maybe specify the underlying port with an optionally defined environment variable for advanced configurations?

Thanks!

-JesterEE

Which VPN docker are you using?

Is it possible to add fonts to the docker? Reason is when I browser some Chinese site it come up with some square with numbers in it, i think the font build in not able to display properly, need to add fonts that suppose Chinese. And I’ve already try to change language and stuff in Firefox and it doesn’t help...or any one have other solution ???

On 1/10/2020 at 2:50 AM, alien said:

Is it possible to add fonts to the docker? Reason is when I browser some Chinese site it come up with some square with numbers in it, i think the font build in not able to display properly, need to add fonts that suppose Chinese. And I’ve already try to change language and stuff in Firefox and it doesn’t help...or any one have other solution ???

Try to add a variable named "ENABLE_CJK_FONT", with a value of "1".

https://github.com/jlesage/docker-firefox#environment-variables

• 5 weeks later...

I have a pretty ridiculous issue..

Some links I click such as the "log" links for dockers in Unraid, open a new window with no way to close it or switch back.

Currently I just attempt to close firefox and it takes me back to the main window and asks if I'm sure I want to close and I hit no, but it leaves the other window open.

Is there are shortcut or anything like that to close the current window or switch between windows?

Edit - Figured out the shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+W) to close current window, but I'm viewing this firefox docker in chrome browser so it just closes that window.. My current work around is to use IE which doesn't have that shortcut.

Edited by Partial
On 2/11/2020 at 11:39 PM, Partial said:

I have a pretty ridiculous issue..

Some links I click such as the "log" links for dockers in Unraid, open a new window with no way to close it or switch back.

Currently I just attempt to close firefox and it takes me back to the main window and asks if I'm sure I want to close and I hit no, but it leaves the other window open.

Is there are shortcut or anything like that to close the current window or switch between windows?

Edit - Figured out the shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+W) to close current window, but I'm viewing this firefox docker in chrome browser so it just closes that window.. My current work around is to use IE which doesn't have that shortcut.

Djoss actually answered a similar question of mine here. Working great for me--new windows are opened as a new tab, which can easily be closed.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:43 AM, kaiguy said:

Another weird question--if I try to access the unRAID GUI web-based terminal, I can't see the text output or my own input. It's just a grey box with a visible cursor and nothing else. Any ideas of how to get the terminal to properly display? Thanks in advance!

It is working fine for me.  Which browser are you using?  Did you try with a different one?

On 2/16/2020 at 9:26 AM, Djoss said:

It is working fine for me.  Which browser are you using?  Did you try with a different one?

Hmmm... interesting. I've tried with Chrome, Brave, and Firefox to access the Firefox docker via Guacamole. Don't think I have any configuration or extensions that would cause this (though I did perform the trick you referenced to open new windows in a tab, but that's about it). I'll keep playing around. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

[Solved]: I'm not sure why it didn't work the 1st time I removed the container, template and appdata/config folder. I made a 2nd attempt and this time everything seems to be working properly. The container starts properly in less than 20 secs now. Of course I did have to restore my bookmarks from backup as well as tweak the Firefox settings. Regardless, the issue reported below is still confusing but I suspect somehow my old Firefox profile got corrupted, even after deleting the entire Firefox folder under appdata.

Update: while writing the message below it appears the script continued but it's now stopped at 'generating machine ID'... I gave it some more time to see if it eventually completed and sure enough it eventually completed and lets me access the webgui. Not sure why it's been so slow but perhaps this is something that only happens during the 1st run of a freshly installed container? I'll keep watching to see if I find anything else.

Update 2: unfortunately the slow startup of the container still persists. I went as far as removing the container and also my template so I could try a 'stock' install. Alas even with the fresh template, things are still extremely slow. The container seems to take between 15 - 45 minutes to properly start. It's not always the 'take-config-ownership.sh' script that appears to hang - it seems to randomly pause with other scripts as well. None of my other docker containers are experiencing any issues. This one has me stumped so far. Let me know if additional info is needed.

----Original Message----

@Djoss Thanks again for the docker containers you provide. They've been great additions to my workflow with unRAID. Alas I'm running into an odd issue this evening where the Firefox docker says it's started but I can never open the webgui successfully. All I get is the standard message from Firefox 'unable to connect to 192.168.50.80:7814', which is the ip/port that previously worked. My other dockers all seem to be OK, just Firefox. The issue appears to be something related to permissions and ownership. Here's the log from my start of the container:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-app-niceness.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 00-app-niceness.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 00-app-script.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 00-app-script.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 00-app-user-map.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 00-app-user-map.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 00-clean-logmonitor-states.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 00-clean-logmonitor-states.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 00-clean-tmp-dir.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 00-clean-tmp-dir.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 00-set-app-deps.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 00-set-app-deps.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 00-set-home.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 00-set-home.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 00-take-config-ownership.sh: executing...

As you can see, it reaches the 'take-config-ownership.sh' execution but appears to hang there indefinitely. I've tried restarts, manual stop/starts with delays between state changes, removing and re-loading the container from CA, even tried rolling back to my nightly backup where everything was working. Alas restoring a previously working Firefox config under appdata still hangs at this point.

I did get a warning today that my docker.img file needed to be recreated due to bug from an older version of unRAID, so I went ahead and stopped the Docker service, deleted the old docker.img file and then restarted docker after re-installing all my containers/templates. Alas I'm still getting the same hang.

Any thoughts?

Edited by AgentXXL
Updated info at beginning of post
On 6/4/2020 at 1:53 AM, AgentXXL said:

[Solved]: I'm not sure why it didn't work the 1st time I removed the container, template and appdata/config folder. I made a 2nd attempt and this time everything seems to be working properly. The container starts properly in less than 20 secs now. Of course I did have to restore my bookmarks from backup as well as tweak the Firefox settings. Regardless, the issue reported below is still confusing but I suspect somehow my old Firefox profile got corrupted, even after deleting the entire Firefox folder under appdata.

Update: while writing the message below it appears the script continued but it's now stopped at 'generating machine ID'... I gave it some more time to see if it eventually completed and sure enough it eventually completed and lets me access the webgui. Not sure why it's been so slow but perhaps this is something that only happens during the 1st run of a freshly installed container? I'll keep watching to see if I find anything else.

Update 2: unfortunately the slow startup of the container still persists. I went as far as removing the container and also my template so I could try a 'stock' install. Alas even with the fresh template, things are still extremely slow. The container seems to take between 15 - 45 minutes to properly start. It's not always the 'take-config-ownership.sh' script that appears to hang - it seems to randomly pause with other scripts as well. None of my other docker containers are experiencing any issues. This one has me stumped so far. Let me know if additional info is needed.

----Original Message----

@Djoss Thanks again for the docker containers you provide. They've been great additions to my workflow with unRAID. Alas I'm running into an odd issue this evening where the Firefox docker says it's started but I can never open the webgui successfully. All I get is the standard message from Firefox 'unable to connect to 192.168.50.80:7814', which is the ip/port that previously worked. My other dockers all seem to be OK, just Firefox. The issue appears to be something related to permissions and ownership. Here's the log from my start of the container:

As you can see, it reaches the 'take-config-ownership.sh' execution but appears to hang there indefinitely. I've tried restarts, manual stop/starts with delays between state changes, removing and re-loading the container from CA, even tried rolling back to my nightly backup where everything was working. Alas restoring a previously working Firefox config under appdata still hangs at this point.

I did get a warning today that my docker.img file needed to be recreated due to bug from an older version of unRAID, so I went ahead and stopped the Docker service, deleted the old docker.img file and then restarted docker after re-installing all my containers/templates. Alas I'm still getting the same hang.

Any thoughts?

It can take some time for take-config-ownership.sh to execute, especially if the Firefox's cache is huge.  The speed of your disk/share also impacts the process.

But if you also see issues with a "stock" install, then there is obviously something else wrong.  Are you using /mnt/user/appdata/Firefox for the appdata folder ?

18 hours ago, Djoss said:

It can take some time for take-config-ownership.sh to execute, especially if the Firefox's cache is huge.  The speed of your disk/share also impacts the process.

But if you also see issues with a "stock" install, then there is obviously something else wrong.  Are you using /mnt/user/appdata/Firefox for the appdata folder ?

I do use the stock path of /mnt/user/appdata/Firefox. Since this issue appeared I've seen anywhere from an immediate startup to sometimes taking over 10 minutes to execute the take-config-ownership.sh and even occasionally the firefox.sh script. I'm clearing my cache more frequently to try and ensure quick startups.

Regardless, it's just a minor inconvenience. Let me know if you do have any other thoughts (than permissions) on why it randomly slows down script processing. And yes, it's still occurring with the recent fresh copy of the Docker container, i.e. very little if anything in cache.

• 3 weeks later...