Jump to content
zero_koop

Good Online Backup Services

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Many of us are/were probably in the same position where we used CrashPlan and since they are no longer supporting home users I have to find a new online backup service >:(.  My CrashPlan subscription will be expiring in a couple of months.  Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use as a replacement?  I'm looking for something with similar price, features (unlimited backup, or at least 5TB), and works well with UnRAID.  Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post

I backup shares with the rclone and User Scripts plugins to BackBlaze.

 

Quick setup:

 

in rclone plugin:

Setup the B2 config. Example Below:

[B2]
type = b2
account = <your account>
key = <account key>
endpoint = 

Setup rclone_custom_script (sample is similar to my current one):

#!/bin/bash
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Here you can add your own custom script eg.                                |
# rclone copy /local/path remote:path # copies /local/path to the remote     |
# rclone sync /local/path remote:path # syncs /local/path to the remote      |
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

echo "Script version: 1.1.3"

myhost=$(hostname -s)
localRootPath="/mnt/user"
b2Bucket_Archive="ArchiveShare"
localShare_Archive="Archive"
syncFolder_Archive=( "Folder1" "Folder2" )

## rsync $localRootPath/$localShare_Archive
for eachFolder in "${syncFolder_Archive[@]}"
do
  echo "Starting sync of $localRootPath/$localShare_Archive/$eachFolder to B2:$b2Bucket_Archive/$myhost/$localShare_Archive/$eachFolder"
  rclone sync -v $localRootPath/$localShare_Archive/$eachFolder/ B2:$b2Bucket_Archive/$myhost/$localShare_Archive/$eachFolder/
done

Then click the "Move to User Scripts" button.

 

In the User Scripts plugin, set a schedule.

 

Its a clunky process to update the script and move it to the User Scripts plugin, but it works.

Edited by shaunsund

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/17/2018 at 7:33 PM, shaunsund said:

I backup shares with the rclone and User Scripts plugins to BackBlaze.

 

Quick setup:

 

in rclone plugin:

Setup the B2 config. Example Below:


[B2]
type = b2
account = <your account>
key = <account key>
endpoint = 

Setup rclone_custom_script (sample is similar to my current one):


#!/bin/bash
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Here you can add your own custom script eg.                                |
# rclone copy /local/path remote:path # copies /local/path to the remote     |
# rclone sync /local/path remote:path # syncs /local/path to the remote      |
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

echo "Script version: 1.1.3"

myhost=$(hostname -s)
localRootPath="/mnt/user"
b2Bucket_Archive="ArchiveShare"
localShare_Archive="Archive"
syncFolder_Archive=( "Folder1" "Folder2" )

## rsync $localRootPath/$localShare_Archive
for eachFolder in "${syncFolder_Archive[@]}"
do
  echo "Starting sync of $localRootPath/$localShare_Archive/$eachFolder to B2:$b2Bucket_Archive/$myhost/$localShare_Archive/$eachFolder"
  rclone sync -v $localRootPath/$localShare_Archive/$eachFolder/ B2:$b2Bucket_Archive/$myhost/$localShare_Archive/$eachFolder/
done

Then click the "Move to User Scripts" button.

 

In the User Scripts plugin, set a schedule.

 

Its a clunky process to update the script and move it to the User Scripts plugin, but it works.

Hey thanks for this tip!  Sorry I totally dropped off the face of the earth after asking this question.  Actually, it wasn't until just now that I re-read it and realized you were talking about a service called BackBlaze.  I didn't recognize that name so I just thought you were talking about some program on your server called BackBlaze.  So yeah that's a very reasonable price.  I think I get the gist of what you're suggesting to setup to get it working (although I don't know what rclone is), but I'm wondering, how reliable is it?  Have you had an issues where it stops working expectantly?

 

Anyone else have any suggestions for services in that price range ($50/year) that work well with unRAID?  I'm also considering going a different route where I only backup my photos/home videos online and everything else is burned on occasion to a BluRay disc (but I don't currently own a BluRay burner so I have to add that expense).

Share this post


Link to post

@shaunsund

Which rclone plugin version do you use from the Community App?  Author Waseh or tynor88?  The Waseh version sounds like the right version, but it mentions Backblaze B2.  Do you use B2 or just regular Backblaze?  I'm not sure of the difference but it sounds like it's a separate service.

Share this post


Link to post

You can also just use duplicati with a cloud backend such as backblaze or google

Share this post


Link to post

@zero_koopYes I am using the Waseh version. To clarify B2 and BackBlaze, B2 is the Cloud service from BackBlaze. Similar to Amazon S3. B2 has better prices overall.

 

@Kode I have started looking into duplicati -- no major complaints.

 

I also use CloudBerryBackup for a few folders. Its not free like duplicati -- I managed to grab a free license a while back. I will eventually start using duplicati (or CloudBerryBackup) instead of rclone. The only major difference IMO between CBB and duplicati is in CBB the destination services (B2, S3, etc) are setup outside of the job so you pick from a list rather than setup the service everytime. I prefer to have different jobs for each share so having the destination preset is a time saver.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, shaunsund said:

@zero_koopYes I am using the Waseh version. To clarify B2 and BackBlaze, B2 is the Cloud service from BackBlaze. Similar to Amazon S3. B2 has better prices overall.

 

Right, but Backblaze B2 isn't $50 annual for unlimited storage which would make B2 much more expensive for my purposes.  Can I use rclone or duplicati with regular Backblaze?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, zero_koop said:

Right, but Backblaze B2 isn't $50 annual for unlimited storage which would make B2 much more expensive for my purposes.  Can I use rclone or duplicati with regular Backblaze?  Thanks.

I think you should look at the BackBlaze website, the $50 annual is the client-based backup, of which there are only Windows and Mac clients. https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html

 

As for the B2 Cloud Storage (https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html),which is the Amazon S3-like service from BackBlaze, you can use rclone or duplicati.

Edited by shaunsund

Share this post


Link to post

I see, thanks.  Well for the price of Backblaze B2 (roughly $180/year for me) I might as well stick with CrashPlan for Small Business which is only $120/year for unlimited data (assuming CrashPlan for Small Business still has a Docker that works...)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, zero_koop said:

(assuming CrashPlan for Small Business still has a Docker that works...)

 

It does, see this (I migrated and it works very well):

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi all, this seemed to be the most current thread in which to post my quick question...

 

I never picked up Docker as a tech, tried to have a play on unRAID and didn't achieve success so scrapped for this purpose.

The unRAID plugin/user script methods are a bit too inflexible and clunky for my liking.

There's no reason i can't run a VM in KVM with my backup tool of choice right? Planning cloud backup with Backblaze B2 in the coming months, as i'll finally have an internet connection that will be able to upload even my meagre amount of backup data.

 

I mean it seems obvious that it should work, but i want to make sure i'm not overlooking something stupid that's going to cause issues... No NFS permission, or lock issues as opposed to accessing the array natively with unRAID methods? (I assume Docker operates in this manner also, to my limited understanding of it).

 

Thankfully i'm looking at $15/yr for my backup needs! Couple hundred GB should cover everything 'personal' enough to warrant backup. I'll continue to run a USB backup of less essential, but ideal to have in event of total data loss, data ad-hoc and store offsite (current method for all backup!)

 

Thanks,

Nasha!

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Nasha said:

There's no reason i can't run a VM in KVM with my backup tool of choice right?

Correct, assuming the backup tool supports backing up network attached devices. The VM talks to unraid using the same interface as any other PC on the network, except the traffic doesn't need to physically leave the box so it's much faster.

 

If it works to back up your unraid server from another PC on the network it will work fine in a VM.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Correct, assuming the backup tool supports backing up network attached devices. The VM talks to unraid using the same interface as any other PC on the network, except the traffic doesn't need to physically leave the box so it's much faster.

 

If it works to back up your unraid server from another PC on the network it will work fine in a VM.

 

Yeh well I'd be using a Linux VM, so as far as it's concerned it's a locally attached disk. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't wandering down a garden path. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Nasha said:

Yeh well I'd be using a Linux VM, so as far as it's concerned it's a locally attached disk

The only locally attached disks in a VM are the vdisk image files defined in the XML. Everything else is network attached.

 

13 hours ago, jonathanm said:

If it works to back up your unraid server from another PC on the network it will work fine in a VM.

 

Does the backup tool you are using support network attached devices?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.