Server crashed, stuck on "Mounting Disks"

N4TH4N

Hey,

I'm having an issue getting my server started.

Last night i upgraded from 6.3.5 to 6.4.1, everything seemed to be going well and working smoothly until today when i woke up. I noticed my server was inaccessible.

I had put a new (second hand) motherboard and CPU in my server months ago and have had a few crashes since then. I only just updated the BIOS to the latest version (it was a 2012 board on its release version). Perviously i had been running a ASUS P6T and i7 920 from 2008 (24/7 for 8+ years).

Reason why it crashed aside its now not mounting disks and starting the array.

So far i have updated the BIOS to the latest version (in an attempt to help with crashes, maybe). I have booted into safe mode to ensure its not plugins causing the issues. But i'm unsure of whats next.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2018-02-18 23.38.47.png

unraid-diagnostics-20180218-2344.zip

To get it up and running i removed disk 11 from the config, theres nothing i need on that disk currently. I restarted the array and its up and running. Cache disk is fine.

I'll run some checks on that disk and add it back if i can. I had some bad crashes a couple of months ago that stopped right after i removed a bad 120GB SSD that was the second disk in the cache pool. During those crashes it corrupted 1 XFS disk, i was in the middle of a disk recovery on a new disk when my power went out which corrupted 2 more XFS disks. So i ended up with 3x corrupted XFS disks.

Currently i have no parity drive as i needed the space temporarily and have not had a chance to purchase a new drive yet.

I have 3 disks sitting out of the machine that i have been trying various tools like UFS Explorer to get as many files recovered as possible. The 3 corrupt XFS disks i did initially run xfs_repair and it required me to run xfs_repair -L (wish i never did) after which the disks reported much more free space than i should have and i had a huge lost+found folder on each disk. It was then i decided to pull the disks from the system and tend to them one at a time with UFS Explorer. I havn't done a single write to them since in the hope that ill find a method to get as much data back as possible. Any other suggestions?

Once i get a new drive for parity and a new UPS ill work on getting the system stable and start replacing old disks with newer once every month or so when i can afford to until i have no old disks.

Crashed whilst doing the reiserfsck on the corrupt disk.

I was unable to access the WebUI, SSH, physical console (keyboard not responding), there was nothing onscreen except the normal login. So i was unable to capture diagnostics.

I powered off the machine and removed the disk from the server. Its now powered back on and i'll use my disk dock thats connected to a usb card thats passthroughed to a VM to have a look at the disk.

During the crash that corrupt disk11 i was putting quite a bit of load on that disk. Its also my oldest disk. Now that its removed i'm hoping not to see a crash again, maybe (fingers crossed).