Never had a server...advice welcomed!

Another option that worked for me to get Ethernet through the house was disconnecting the phone land line from the phone company, in my newish house (7yrs old) outside and installing a switch to the router and connected the phones lines inside the house to the switch. At least with mine I had CAT 5e already run for the phone lines and has worked perfect for 6 years. I have a line in every room albeit not in the location I would have chose, but gets me close.

Now this will take away your land line phone, I used a VOIP service for a while, but ended up ditching it for my cell phone after never using the VOIP phone, not because it was bad, just wasn't as convenient.

Edited by burtjr

Thanks for all the advise!

After weighing it all up, I am going to attempt to hardwire the ground floor and first floor, using WiFi for the 3rd floor (Unifi unit).

I think I can do it with some creative routing and won't cause that much damage overall.. will be about 35m of Flat Cat.7 cable (20+15)...at least "non destructive" is how I have sold it to the wife...shall see ;-)

I figure this should give me the best mix of streaming and best WiFi performance. 

Also 8GB of RAM on route, and a 6/8TB drive needed now to act as the parity.

Really appreciate all the help and advice, gave allot to consider and makes a weighted decision.

Daniel