Dual cache pointless?

So, obviously this is meant just in this specific scenario. But if I have my UnRaid server setup only as a media server, is there any point to having a dual cache? If sonarr and radarr move everything to the array after they finish downloading, and everything that isn't moved at that time is backed up to the array when mover runs, I am struggling to see the point in having a mirror image of the things on the cache. I know all the app data is on there, but that should be backed up to the array as well. So if something was to happen, I would probably only have to replace all the incomplete downloads, which I probably would have had to do anyway. I only ask because it seems like a waste to me at this point. I have 2 500gb drives set up as my cache.

Also, it seem kind of silly to have a cache in the first place when used like this. Correct me if I am wrong, please, but I download directly to the cache which is supposed to be faster. But then, almost immediately, sonarr or radarr takes the data and writes it to the array. I realize this is faster than just writing directly to the array, but is it really that much faster when you consider the extra steps? When I first set this up, I was under the impression (not really sure why I thought this), that everything would download to the cache and then when mover ran things would be moved to the array. I kind of confused mover with the moving and renaming that sonarr and radarr do. It would seem to me that if you did not need the media the very moment it was downloaded, you should be able to set up sonarr and radarr to not move until a convenient time, like mover does. This would save on system resources.

I could be completely wrong on this whole thing. I am still new to this all.

With something like Plex, having appdata (which includes zillions of metadata files) on fast media is very worthwhile.

Downloads probably not add important, but at least having on non-array disks (e.g. UD spinner) might be advisable, esp. If you are doing PAR/RAR work before moving to array.

7 minutes ago, SSD said:

With something like Plex, having appdata (which includes zillions of metadata files) on fast media is very worthwhile.

Downloads probably not add important, but at least having on non-array disks (e.g. UD spinner) might be advisable, esp. If you are doing PAR/RAR work before moving to array.

I completely agree, and was not advocating for no cache at all. Just trying to see the point of using a dual cache setup. As it stands, I feel like I would be better served using just 1x 500gb SSD and keeping the second as a spare. Or, possibly running them together to have 1Tb of cache space. I feel like maybe I am using it wrong, or its potential is not being utilized....

Edited by jebusfreek666