Sanity check - 24 drive bays

14 minutes ago, uaeproz said:

I read somewhere in the forums @johnnie.black is saying cache needs to be balanced every month.

I thought you meant balancing disk usage in the array. OK, that makes sense.

12 minutes ago, uaeproz said:

I added the other NVMe card in the list of drives

Do you mean you have the NVMe as an unassigned device? That sounds good.

Just now, uaeproz said:

Assigned as drive 1 in the array of devices

You don't want that drive in the parity array. Writes to the parity array read, calculate, and write parity at the same time, so not only writing the NVME drive, but reading both it and parity, doing the parity calculation, and writing both. And of course, this will ultimately happen at the speed of the parity disk. Also, some question if SSDs should be used in the array at all. They can't even be trimmed because of parity.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

You don't want that drive in the parity array. Writes to the parity array read, calculate, and write parity at the same time, so not only writing the NVME drive, but reading both it and parity, doing the parity calculation, and writing both. And of course, this will ultimately happen at the speed of the parity disk. Also, some question if SSDs should be used in the array at all. They can't even be trimmed because of parity.

How can I use it for VM without assigning it? is that even possible?

I will be running multiple 4K movies at the same time so the card should be capable 

There are some limitations associated with Plex and hardware acceleration that you may want to familiarize yourself with before spending a lot of money on hardware.

For one, Nvidia limits encoding to 2 streams on at least some (if not all) of their GPUs. There are also potential issues with dockers, if that's how you are running it.

I would read through this page as well as the Plex forums to get a feel for the best purchase for what you want to do. It may be in your best interest to re-ask this question there as well.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I’ll pay 5k right away but this is the max I would put into a card providing that it will give me back the money worth. 

I’ve seen the V100 NVIDIA cards and man these cards are expensive! Just wondering if I can get a deal for them off eBay!

but I’m not gonna invest in any card until I know for sure that it will function. 

What options is out there other than this card and NVIDIA?

Edited by uaeproz
Typo
On 3/19/2018 at 2:26 PM, JTok said:

There are some limitations associated with Plex and hardware acceleration that you may want to familiarize yourself with before spending a lot of money on hardware.

For one, Nvidia limits encoding to 2 streams on at least some (if not all) of their GPUs. There are also potential issues with dockers, if that's how you are running it.

I would read through this page as well as the Plex forums to get a feel for the best purchase for what you want to do. It may be in your best interest to re-ask this question there as well.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Thanks @JTok

Here is link that talksa about FFmpeg. I guess there gaming GPUs are limited to 2 streams.

On 3/19/2018 at 2:26 PM, JTok said:

Have a look here at number of supported streams: 

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Ahh yeah. I see that the Quadro cards are more capable. That's good to know.

Plex also has some limitations listed in the link I posted earlier. They only support decoding on Nvidia in Windows. To decode on Linux you will need Intel. I'm not sure if this is a limitation in Plex or something else (I would assume it's Plex though, so presumably support will get better). Of course, this may not be a major issue for your use case.

1 hour ago, JTok said:

Ahh yeah. I see that the Quadro cards are more capable. That's good to know.

Plex also has some limitations listed in the link I posted earlier. They only support decoding on Nvidia in Windows. To decode on Linux you will need Intel. I'm not sure if this is a limitation in Plex or something else (I would assume it's Plex though, so presumably support will get better). Of course, this may not be a major issue for your use case.

So my only option here is Quadro? no other option is available out there?