Web terminal login fails

nomisco

I'm a new user, with very little exposure to Linux. I have a problem with the Web Terminal. The only way I can get around this is to reboot the server. It's a very sporadic problem though. The reason I use the terminal is because I'm getting to grips with the simple tools such as Midnight Commander (very useful).

All the information in the log is unRAID login[14988]: ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/8

At the top of the window, it says login -f root (unRAID)

In the window it then says Login incorrect, and then a splash of Connection Closed

I've changed the WebGUI password (so it does have one now), but don't see how this might be connected because most of the time the terminal login works, just occasionally doesn't. But trying to troubleshoot, I thought I'd remove the WebGUI password to see if that makes any difference, but I can't see how to set it back to blank (I'm guessing it's editing a config file, but I don't know how). I don't recall if there was a problem before I set a password or not.

Edited by nomisco

Found this topic, somewhat related https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/68828-used-to-be-able-to-login-as-root-on-web-terminal-but-now-i-cant/?tab=comments#comment-634878

I think I understand this 'pty' thing being a fake terminal. I looked in the processes and appear to have up to number 7 listed already, which is presumably why my attempt generates 'pty8' in the log. Is this number of them normal? Is there a limit?

When I've finished with the terminal I usually just close the window and get a 'Do you want to leave?' dialogue box. Is this the right way to do it, or should I exit the terminal via a command? Am I inadvertently leaving too many pty instances open?

I am experiencing the same issue.  I have been using the Web Terminal to run MC then just close the window via the little X when done.  After a number of sessions, I hit the exact same issue as reported by @nomisco.  My log shows: Feb 24 14:49:40 Tower login[25551]: ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN on '/dev/pts/9'

Each time this occurs is always on the pts/9, SSH login works just fine, but lacking the knowledge of how to troubleshoot only a reboot appears to reset the issue.  

I live in Chrome, but installed Firefox to check - and the issue persists across to a virgin browser... so its not a cache niggle. 

My SSH keys are not corrupted / zero bytes as per: 

ls -la /boot/config/ssh

Thoughts Crew?

ssh into the server...

who -aH

find the PID of pts/# shown in the eventlog immediately after the web terminal failure

kill PID#

.... doesn't work... as who -aH immediately shows the same pts being used again :/

also tried shell in a box... but it also is throwing the same issue

What appears to be the problem is...

root / password is not being accepted in Shell in a Box / Web Terminal after x number of uses without a full server restart... but it works fine via SSH [email protected]

Edited by landS
  • 1 month later...
On 2/25/2018 at 5:00 AM, landS said:

ssh into the server...

who -aH

find the PID of pts/# shown in the eventlog immediately after the web terminal failure

kill PID#

.... doesn't work... as who -aH immediately shows the same pts being used again :/

also tried shell in a box... but it also is throwing the same issue

What appears to be the problem is...

root / password is not being accepted in Shell in a Box / Web Terminal after x number of uses without a full server restart... but it works fine via SSH [email protected]

So the only way to fix it is a restart? or is there a cooldown?

• 1 month later...