[GUIDE] Fix Nvidia Code 43 Issue on Nvidia GPU

Siwat2545

If you have free PCIE slots, there is a chance switching the cards between can help. For example, my second slot, anything I put in there can't be passed through if the first slot is populated. If I leave the first slot empty, the second can be passed through. For the normal user the "auto" setting for the PCIE slot configuration works fine. Sometimes it could help to set them manual to a specific link speed. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 11:33 AM, drzaph said:

Followed the instructions on Spaceinvader One's video here and it worked like a charm. This guy is indispensable! Thanks. 

this worked for me! sweet thx man 

edit: well crap... video works now but the audio is very choppy 

Edited by ToXIc
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Got the error 43 in Windows 10 on my main Win10 with a Nvidia 1060 after adding a new Win10 with an old AMD card.

Read this post and decided to disable UEFI boot.

Now I dont have the error 43 anmyore, but both graphics card and my Unraid drive is passed to my main Win10.

And I cant access the Unraid webpage or ping the IP of Unraid.

I'm lost....how do I fix my Unraid ?

18 minutes ago, sosdk said:

Hi

Got the error 43 in Windows 10 on my main Win10 with a Nvidia 1060 after adding a new Win10 with an old AMD card.

Read this post and decided to disable UEFI boot.

Now I dont have the error 43 anmyore, but both graphics card and my Unraid drive is passed to my main Win10.

And I cant access the Unraid webpage or ping the IP of Unraid.

I'm lost....how do I fix my Unraid ?

Did some further invistigation.....My Unraid server booted into bare metal win10 on the NVE disk I normally pass to my Main WM Win10.

Hope it makes sence....Unraid didnt boot from USB drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I seem to have an odd one where I change hyper-v to no and update but its automagiclly changing back to yes. 

Im no good with XML but this is what it looks like?

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>Windows 10 VM</name>
  <uuid>acdfb713-0f86-d6ac-f3a2-3d58a29e8e67</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="windows.png" os="windows10"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>3</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/acdfb713-0f86-d6ac-f3a2-3d58a29e8e67_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <hyperv>
      <relaxed state='on'/>
      <vapic state='on'/>
      <spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>
      <vendor_id state='on' value='none'/>
    </hyperv>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='3' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='localtime'>
    <timer name='hypervclock' present='yes'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/Windows 10 VM/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/Windows.iso'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <boot order='2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/virtio-win-0.1.160-1.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'/>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:fd:4e:d6'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc077'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc31c'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='3'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
</domain>

9 hours ago, 5hurb said:

I seem to have an odd one where I change hyper-v to no and update but its automagiclly changing back to yes. 

Any changes made in XML view are removed if you modify anything in form view. So, once you start modifying the XML, don't switch the view back.

36 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Any changes made in XML view are removed if you modify anything in form view. So, once you start modifying the XML, don't switch the view back.

Thankyou for getting back to me. Sorry I included the XML to see if something in there was not right.

I'm using the GUI to change Hyper-V setting to no but it does nothing for me when I go back in to edit the setting Hyper-V is always set to yes.

Im getting the code 43 on a old 9800gt nvidia card that i'm trying to pass through for to the VM CUDA support for BlueIris in windows 10.

Hi all, 

I have been 6 days straight trying to enable my MX150 graphics card on my Acer Aspire laptop (E5-576G). 
The problem initially occurred when the card just stopped running and I figured a simple driver update would get it up and running again - WRONG. My laptop completely crashed and had Blue screen of death over and over, and over. I could not get back into Windows and there was no restore point and no Admin recognised. 

After 3 hours of youtube (via iPhone) I found starting the laptop, holding ALT and F10 repeatability, I could boot into safe mode. Just a black screen with a trashbin and no other functions. I watched more vids and was finally able to reinstall Windows 10 via USB with the help of an IT expert in my office. Originally I could not install via safemode and I had no Admin recognised. He sat with me for an hour and reinstalled my admin in BIOS, installed Windows 10 and I have a working laptop again!! He now has a bottle of 12 year-old scotch to enjoy on his summer vacation. 

However, after getting home and trying to reinstall the graphics driver - the laptop crashed again. This time less severe as the blue screen does not repeat like before and I can load back into normal Windows mode. I have had several crashes and several restore points activated trying to install several different versions of the driver form Nvidia and with ACER. 
I have read every possible forum and watched around 25 hours of help videos, but nothing seems to work. I do have hope because a similar problem occurred with someone else with the exact same model who was told there was no solution for the fact the card was factory installed in the Philippines via Legacy settings. Mine however was installed via UEFI and so they may be a chance. 
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/549160/how-to-resolved-the-error-code-43-in-acer-aspire-e5-576g-50en-for-nvidia-geforce-mx150
Things I have tried to install the driver: 

• Windows auto update to look for compatible drivers
  • Complete clean with DDU and reinstalling with serval driver releases via Nvidia, ACER and 3dGURU
  • Alternating installing between safe mode and normal mode
  • Looking to remove incompatible software (there is none as windows is fresh) 
  • Selectively removing diver components in control panel and reinstalling
  • Direct Installing via exe files saved on my desktop
  • Updated all windows components 
  • Disabling Hyper V in device Manager and Control Panel

Possible solutions not yet tried: 

• Enter the BIOS and change Graphics Controller from UMA to DISCRETE (Cannot see this as an option in the BIOS)
  • Install earlier windows 10 version 1703 and install the compatible driver again (tried this but can seem to get the usb read by the laptop)
  • Physically opening the laptop to ensure the video card correctly inserted (doubtful as the system can read its presensce) - Tried this but the thing is welded in and I'm not messing with it. 

From what I can gather, the main problem seems that there is no dedicated RAM to the driver. It says Adapter Type (Nvidia Compatible) is Not available as is does with Colour Table Entries, Resolution, Bits/Pixels etc.. How I can go from here is a mystery to try to get VRAM allocated to the GPU. 

I have included several attachments and tried to be as specific as possible, though please let me know what other info I can provide or if you think trying one of the Possible Solution might work..? Please see my original post for all system images: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-mx150-driver-update-fail-crashed-windows-10/5ad62654-8a18-4788-b0ef-e2e6d667d7ea

If anyone could please help with a solution to this issue it would be endlessly appreciated. I know absolutely nothing about computers and only learnt the word 'BIOS' this week. I feel as if I have completed a masters degree IT over the last several days. 
Many thanks to the Community in advance!! 

Miguel 

25 minutes ago, TheGonzisback said:

I have been 6 days straight trying to enable my MX150 graphics card on my Acer Aspire laptop (E5-576G). 
The problem initially occurred when the card just stopped running and I figured a simple driver update would get it up and running again - WRONG. My laptop completely crashed and had Blue screen of death over and over

What does your post have to do with our forum?

27 minutes ago, TheGonzisback said:

It relates specifically to the title: Fix Nvidia Code 43 Issue on Nvidia GPU

If you read the rest of the thread you have posted to, you may realize that all these people here are running Windows in a Virtual Machine. Our forum is about the Unraid OS, which in addition to being a NAS, allows Virtual Machines.

It's possible that someone will make some suggestion regarding your laptop problem, but various issues with Windows on a laptop is not really the purpose of our forum.

Take a look around and maybe you will get a better idea of what Unraid is about. Many people find it very useful.

Ok mate, thanks for the update. I had a good read of the forum and tried a couple of the videos posted, I must admit I had no idea what a virtual machine was, I thought people were discussing how to resolve error code 43 with gpu software. Anyway I’ll keep searching for a solution. Many thanks and all the best!!

• 2 weeks later...

i was having this problem even after following ALL of the vidoes and advice above - from SpaceInvader through to UEFI boot and techpowerup bios edits. I found a solution by upgrading the GPU BIOS to the latest version, by flashing the newest ROM from tech powerup. then i edited that same ROM using the HEX editor and added it to the VM config. I then installed the latest Nvidia drivers. now its working like a charm. I was trying to get a GTX 770 working on a single PCI-e slot motherboard. 

The only way i can get the VM to boot without a black screen is if i add a second VNC graphics display, but the GPU still is the primary display. what a mission...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I read this thread and I have an ESXi with a GTX 1070, I have the error 43 and I already put the line CPU=FALSE on the VM configuration.

I always have the error and GTX is not recognized.

I want to follow all this step but I don't understand, I must use unraid software ?

Thanks for help

I have created a Windows VM with 1903 and the latest WDK.
I have tried the Guide from this Website:

The first Problem was in Powershell after this command:
Set Execution Policy to Remote Sign with "set-executionpolicy remotesigned"
Then i started ./patcher.ps1 C:\NVIDIA\Display.Driver
I got an error that i cannot execute the Script cause it´s not remotesignd.
I Set : set-executionpolicy unrestricted
After this, the script start working until to the Part to create the cert.
Cert will be created, and then i get 2 error-messages, with the cert. (i can post screenshots if needed)
I copyed the "maybe" patched Driver to my VM on a Windows Server 2016 Host.
I started Setup, it start working, to the Box....installing drivers.
Then i got a message - installing aborted with an red X.
I also tried to install by .inf file...also not working.
In my opinion, there could be a Problem with Windows 1903.
Can you please give me a hint, wich Windows-Version i sould use, and wich WDK, or have you a Hint, how i can get this work with Windows 1903.

By the way, if someone has a working System to patch the Nvidia Drivers, maybe you can patch the Drivers for me

Nvidia Quadro P1000 - W10 X64, so i can try if this is the only problem (pached drivers) or i have additional things to check.

For sure, i will spend a beer for your help. 🙂

Best regards, Martin.

This is the first error in Powershell (now i am using Windows 1709 - the same as 1903) 😞

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32> cd \
PS C:\> Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Execution Policy Change
The execution policy helps protect you from scripts that you do not trust. Changing the execution policy might expose
you to the security risks described in the about_Execution_Policies help topic at
https:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170. Do you want to change the execution policy?
[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "N"): y
PS C:\> ./patcher.ps1 C:\NVIDIA\Display.Driver
./patcher.ps1 : File C:\patcher.ps1 cannot be loaded. The file C:\patcher.ps1 is not digitally signed. You cannot run
this script on the current system. For more information about running scripts and setting execution policy, see
about_Execution_Policies at https:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170.
At line:1 char:1
+ ./patcher.ps1 C:\NVIDIA\Display.Driver
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (:) [], PSSecurityException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccess
PS C:\>

Edited by mat-industries
1 hour ago, mat-industries said:

This is the first error in Powershell (now i am using Windows 1709 - the same as 1903) 😞

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32> cd \
PS C:\> Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Execution Policy Change
The execution policy helps protect you from scripts that you do not trust. Changing the execution policy might expose
you to the security risks described in the about_Execution_Policies help topic at
https:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170. Do you want to change the execution policy?
[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "N"): y
PS C:\> ./patcher.ps1 C:\NVIDIA\Display.Driver
./patcher.ps1 : File C:\patcher.ps1 cannot be loaded. The file C:\patcher.ps1 is not digitally signed. You cannot run
this script on the current system. For more information about running scripts and setting execution policy, see
about_Execution_Policies at https:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170.
At line:1 char:1
+ ./patcher.ps1 C:\NVIDIA\Display.Driver
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (:) [], PSSecurityException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccess
PS C:\>

Hi,

You install Unraid software ?

I try to successfully works my graphic card ( GTX 1070) on ESXi.

If you try too and better understand me this guide , we can help each other !!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Man switching to ryzen is a pain. 

Tried the following and still getting error code 43:

2. vfio-pci the card

3. Disable Hyper-V

4. Dumping the bios (Work Quite )

7. use an older driver

Don't know what else I can do except buy an amd card....anyone have any suggestions? Prefer to stick with nvidia since I paid a lot of money for a sync monitor... I'm using a 980gtx.

Edited by Sleepyme