Building a 4K 10-bit ready NAS

31 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

You need 8th Gen to do 10-bit transcoding.

Not really, the needed hardware is already in Kaby Lake CPUs

I tried the jellyfish video again jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv (audio only though)

and I could transcode without issues to 1080p 10mbit for remote playback (not at home) with only about 4x25% cpu utilization

19 minutes ago, jang430 said:

I'm using Core i3-7100, kaby lake.  I believe this is sufficient?  Though I don't want to subscribe to Plex Pass

It should be. My research made me get the G4620 as its a bit cheaper than the i3 for only a 200MHz less clock speed and the lack of some instructions you don't need on a server/NAS (My opinion)

You might want to try Emby out then, as the free version does support HW accelerated transcoding via VAAPI which we discussed above.

2 hours ago, jang430 said:

I'm using Core i3-7100, kaby lake.  I believe this is sufficient?  Though I don't want to subscribe to Plex Pass

Plex regularly offers Plex Pass lifetime subscriptions for $75 either via a direct email offer to Plex users or to the general public less frequently on special sales.

I wouldn't pay the $4.99 a month for a monthly subscription (other than to trial Plex Pass for one month to see if it offers enough to entice me to buy a lifetime subscription), but it does offer enough that, in my opinion, it was worth the $75 lifetime subscription price.

@ken-ji, by using Emby, you mean Emby in the backed?  What about the front end?  Do you have to install Emby addon on Kodi?  I would much prefer if the backend detects the streamer to be a raspberry pi 3, and adjust accordingly, rather than still open an app.  That's how it goes for me with Plex, have to download app addon on kodi, and turn it on to be able to stream 8-bit for now.

I bought my i3-7100 second hand :D

Btw, following another forum servethehome, and they are showing a very good deal for Xeon D 1541, 8 core/ 16 thread.  I always liked the Xeon D boards, low power, high core count.  The thing that's stopping me is I believe it's not capable to play hevc 10-bit.

@whipdancer, when you say Plex works better than Kodi for you, Is there any Plex OS on Raspberry Pi?  I primarily use Raspberry Pi 3 as my streamer.  I use Plex on laptops, and cellphones though.

@Hoopster, currently, not a lot of shows yet that is so high quality.  Am futureproofing :D  Though there's the other argument to get a new SBC (single board computer) that actually supports hevc 10-bit.

Edited by jang430

Sorry, been away from home for an extended period of time, so my current streamer is Emby Mobile (Web client) or android phone app. Was able to try it with a Roku device - seemed fairly good.

There's 2 emby addons to kodi, but I haven't tried it.

Emby has native clients for ios/tvos/windows - all require premium access though...

Never liked Plex, not really sure why not.

Sorry, been away from home for an extended period of time, so my current streamer is Emby Mobile (Web client) or android phone app. Was able to try it with a Roku device - seemed fairly good.
There's 2 emby addons to kodi, but I haven't tried it.
Emby has native clients for ios/tvos/windows - all require premium access though...

Emby for kodi is free? And streaming from Emby server on Unraid to Emby on Kodi ( installed to a raspberry pi) is free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
16 minutes ago, ken-ji said:

For me, it's a reliance on 3rd party servers and logins. I like that you can use emby with local access only if you wish.

Maybe I haven't given plex enough research, but when I was making my decision several years ago, I couldn't figure out a way to use plex without signing up for an account. Emby just worked, and since then I have enjoyed emby enough to purchase the "lifetime" premiere key for my server.

While writing this, I googled plex offline, and apparently it's possible, but kind of a pain, and seems to get broken every so often where you can't skip the login. I'll pass, and keep using emby quite happily for now.

2 hours ago, jang430 said:

Emby for kodi is free? And streaming from Emby server on Unraid to Emby on Kodi ( installed to a raspberry pi) is free?

Yep. there are two plugins - one is a video source addon in the Kodi repo

the other is a application that takes over Kodi and downloaded from the Emby site

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

For me, it's a reliance on 3rd party servers and logins. I like that you can use emby with local access only if you wish.

Maybe I haven't given plex enough research, but when I was making my decision several years ago, I couldn't figure out a way to use plex without signing up for an account. Emby just worked, and since then I have enjoyed emby enough to purchase the "lifetime" premiere key for my server.

While writing this, I googled plex offline, and apparently it's possible, but kind of a pain, and seems to get broken every so often where you can't skip the login. I'll pass, and keep using emby quite happily for now.

oh yeah. This is probably it. There is no need to login to a third party service or provide details about your emby server. Since I have a domain and dynamic DNS, I can login to my emby server from anywhere online and watch stuff. Emby does have a service to simplify remote sign-on but I've never used it.  

On 5/16/2018 at 7:30 PM, jang430 said:

when you say Plex works better than Kodi for you, Is there any Plex OS on Raspberry Pi?  I primarily use Raspberry Pi 3 as my streamer.  I use Plex on laptops, and cellphones though.

I don't use RPi for streaming. I use a Roku box (and have used several other Rokus,  ATV - new and old, XBOne and more).

But that completely misses the point. My point was that I gladly pay for Plex because it adds value to my Movie & TV watching experience. It's so ridiculously simply to use that my technology avoiding aunt can even work it and it is nearly completely hands off for me. Win, win. Yes, I will happily support the hard work that created that product. /rant-off

To achieve your goal just

--device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

* note the double dash

I've added other stuff for vanity naming of the container and a restart option in case the entire container dies for some reason. as I was testing the beta for a short bit

Hi @ken-ji, can I seek some clarification?

I'm still getting above 90% cpu utilization.  

These are my settings:

1. Go file

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

2. See attached 

Please advise.  Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 7.09.31 AM.png

1 hour ago, jang430 said:

1. Go file

#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

I think you need to change your go file.
Try placing the stuff for transcoding before the emhttp line as this will set things up before the docker has a chance to start.

#!/bin/bash

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Currently with you setup, restarting the container should allow HW transcoding to work already.

I think you need to change your go file.
Try placing the stuff for transcoding before the emhttp line as this will set things up before the docker has a chance to start.
#!/bin/bash#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plexmodprobe i915chown -R nobody:users /dev/drichmod -R 777 /dev/dri# Start the Management Utility/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Currently with you setup, restarting the container should allow HW transcoding to work already.

Thanks. Makes sense.

1 hour ago, HellDiverUK said:

This method of modprobing i915 and passing that to Emby/Plex doesn't work on Coffeelake.  I can't get it working on my i5-8400 at all.

I'm likely going to shift back to my i5-6500T, and use the i5-8400 in my HTPC (to benefit from the better GPU).

I believe with the Coffee Lake chips you have to enable alpha support in syslinux.cfg in addition to the other modifications.

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot i915.alpha_support=1

It worked for several unRAID users as seen in this discussion:

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1

I believe with the Coffee Lake chips you have to enable alpha support in syslinux.cfg

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot i915.alpha_support=1

See this discussion:

Just want to report suggestion by @ken-ji didn't work. I don't know why. Will try restarting the whole NAS later.