Building a 4K 10-bit ready NAS

5 hours ago, jang430 said:

Is there any motherboard, or chipset that's suitable for the job?  Only requirement is 4K transcoding, 6 sata, m-atx.

In the case of a Kaby Lake CPU such as the G4560, you just need a good socket 1151 motherboard that accommodates that CPU with a 200 series chipset. You can probably go even smaller than m-atx (unless you already have a mATX case) if you wish and go with Mini-ITX as several available boards would give you what you need in an even smaller form factor.

Here are a couple of inexpensive choices (around $60 US) that support the G4560 with integrated graphics and have 6 SATA ports in a mATX form factor:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#kf

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B250M-HDV/index.us.asp

13 hours ago, jang430 said:

What does below lines do?  Are these specific to h.265?  What will happen if the following lines are not input? 

1. -device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

#Setup drivers for hardware decoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

@BRiT has already explained the purpose of these entries in the extra parameter and go file (note: as @ken-ji stated, make sure there are two dashes in front of the device command; you can see this in the screen shot of extra parameters in one of my previous posts.  Also as @ken-ji stated the chown command is not absolutely necessary.  In fact, I did not have it in my go file originally.  I only added it because several posters indicated they needed it and it doesn't cause any harm.

These configuration entries have nothing to do with any specific codecs.  They are simply necessary for hardware transcoding to be enabled regardless of the source material encoding and the desired output encoding.

If you do not enter the --device command in extra parameters or modify the go file, this configuration will not survive a machine reboot (assuming you loaded drivers manually first to get things working) and you will have no hardware transcoding capabilities.

Wondering if using such a processor, with a motherboard with hdmi to match, B250 chipset, will it be possible to also use an openelec VM, apart from it being he primary NAS, and Plex media server? Can the onboard gpu be passed through to VM already under Unraid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/27/2018 at 6:15 AM, vanes said:

i think no! i use my igpu (intel hd graphics 630) only for plex/emby

I consider this amazing. Intels cheap *ss iGPU is only solution on the market for hardware decoding of 4k for media applicaitons. What is nvidia doing?!

I have to believe this will change!

intel hd graphics is not needed to direct stream to devices that can natively play it!

for example: 4k hevc movie on 4k tv, that support it natively, wil play as direct stream

same movie on 1080p-tv that cannot support hevc/4k will need to be transcoded

Edited by vanes

It also has to do with the fact that the intel GPU drivers (i915.ko) are in the linux kernel tree,

while the NVIDIA drivers are not and the in tree driver nouveau is not acceleration ready yet.

tldr; its easier to build and include the iGPU drivers than the dGPU ones.

@vanes, yes, I know the same.  To re-phrase my question, if you already assign onboard gpu to Plex to be used when transcoding is needed, on occasions that it's not needed, can it be assigned to Libreelec when you start the VM?  Or will it be permanently dedicated, and can't be assigned on-the-fly when you turn on Libreelec vm?

1 hour ago, jang430 said:

@vanes, yes, I know the same.  To re-phrase my question, if you already assign onboard gpu to Plex to be used when transcoding is needed, on occasions that it's not needed, can it be assigned to Libreelec when you start the VM?  Or will it be permanently dedicated, and can't be assigned on-the-fly when you turn on Libreelec vm?

you want to passthrough integrated graphics to vm! u shoud read 

I could not make it work on my kaby-lake i5-7400  b250 MB

I think there will no be assignment on-the-fly, or VM or i915! 

maybe I'm wrong, correct

Edited by vanes
11 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

I think it comes down to software support of the API, hardware seems to support it   https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk#SupportedGPUs

Thanks for that link.

It says at the top:

HW accelerated encode and decode are supported on NVIDIA GeForce, Quadro, Tesla, and GRID products with Fermi, Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal generation GPUs.

The 10 series are not mentioned (I have a 1050Ti). But the Pascal GP107 used by the 1050Ti is the same as the one used by several Quadro models. That chip seems limited to 2 simultaneous hardware trans codes. Does this imply that with the right nvidia CPU something like Plex would support hardware decoding?

11 hours ago, SSD said:

The 10 series are not mentioned (I have a 1050Ti). But the Pascal GP107 used by the 1050Ti is the same as the one used by several Quadro models. That chip seems limited to 2 simultaneous hardware trans codes. Does this imply that with the right nvidia CPU something like Plex would support hardware decoding?

Looks like a no on Plex decoding, but a yes on encoding.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

"On Linux, hardware-accelerated decoding is not supported on NVIDIA GPUs. Intel Quick Sync is required for hardware-accelerated decoding."

"Windows and Linux devices using Intel hardware-accelerated encoding do not have any artificial limit to the number of simultaneous videos."
"Windows and Linux devices using NVIDIA GeForce graphic cards are limited to hardware-accelerated encoding of 2 videos at a time. This is a driver limitation from NVIDIA."

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, jang430 said:

Finally using a new motherboard, with Intel Core i3-7100.  No hardware transcoding for Plex.  Is Plex Pass needed still?

Yes, Plex Pass is a requirement.  From the Plex "Using Hardware-Accelerated Streaming" page here are the requirements for Linux:

Linux system requirements

Hardware-Accelerated Streaming on Linux requires:

• 64-bit Ubuntu (16.04 or later) or 64-bit Fedora (26 or later) distributions. (Other distributions may be capable, but are not officially supported.)
  • A recent Intel CPU meeting these requirements:
    • 2nd-generation Intel Core (Sandy Bridge, 2011) or newer (we recommend 5th-gen Broadwell or newer for the best experience; Sandy Bridge, in particular, is known to sometimes have poor visual output on Linux)
    • Supports Intel Quick Sync Video (Not sure? Look up your processor)
  • Plex Media Server 1.9.3 or later
  • Plex Pass subscription

My rig seems to be sufficient to transcode just about anything I throw at it.

Using official Emby docker with vaapi acceleration enabled, I could stream the 400mbps UHD HEVC jellyfish video remotely as a 10mbps 1080p stream without noticing hiccups.

of course, at such a HQ source, I better not be doing anything else on my server....

• Like 1