Docker Container Author Subforums

unevent

Throwing out the idea of creating support subforums by author/creator under Docker Containers - Binhex, LinuxServer.io, etc. support so that it is better organized and can find specific docker by author.  Perhaps have a minimum active container requirement to offer the option for the author.  Just have the LT disclaimer about not affiliated with LT yadda yadda.

• Like 2
Throwing out the idea of creating support subforums by author/creator under Docker Containers - Binhex, LinuxServer.io, etc. support so that it is better organized and can find specific docker by author.  Perhaps have a minimum active container requirement to offer the option for the author.  Just have the LT disclaimer about not affiliated with LT yadda yadda.
I like the idea, sounds reasonable to me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I like this idea a lot!

1. 100+ page threads are really terrible for someone trying to search for the answer to a problem, so the same questions end up get asked again and again. Having users able to submit posts so that each issue is in its own thread would make things much easier to look up. 
  2. Many authors maintain links to frequently referenced information in their signatures (which is a life saver). However, I don't think that people realize that you can disable your ability to see others signatures in your profile settings (and it's disabled by default i think). I know I didn't realize that I had signatures disabled and spent way too much time trying to find information that was linked in the signature. Having authors able to create sticky threads in their sub-forum would be a better solution for info that is otherwise put in the signature now. 
5 hours ago, death.hilarious said:

I like this idea a lot!

1. 100+ page threads are really terrible for someone trying to search for the answer to a problem, so the same questions end up get asked again and again. Having users able to submit posts so that each issue is in its own thread would make things much easier to look up. 

No way would we be able to monitor that if everyone posted a new issue.  Half the problem is people don't search, if everyone starts posting a new issue that would cause chaos for us people that have to support it.  The whole point of a support thread is to keep issues with a particular container limited to one thread.

I'm not joking when I say that if people can post a new issue rather than posting in an existing support thread, then I'll quit with support, I don't have time for that.

I'm not averse to author specific subforums at all, but only on the basis that the only people able to create new threads are the authors themselves.

• Upvote 1

No way would we be able to monitor that if everyone posted a new issue.  Half the problem is people don't search, if everyone starts posting a new issue that would cause chaos for us people that have to support it.  The whole point of a support thread is to keep issues with a particular container limited to one thread.

I'm not joking when I say that if people can post a new issue rather than posting in an existing support thread, then I'll quit with support, I don't have time for that.

I'm not averse to author specific subforums at all, but only on the basis that the only people able to create new threads are the authors themselves.
I agree here, allowing users to create a thread for each issue would be a damn nightmare, but the op idea of support// as a way of grouping all support together sounds ok to me, I could see how it would reduce frustration for users slightly, but I guess CA already does a good job of this, soooo maybe it wouldn't help that much after all.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quite a lot of support threads gets started in the General Support thread even if being related to a specific plugin or Docker.

So a question is how to better inform people where and how to get support.

Maybe the web interface should get large "Support" buttons directly in the list of installed plugins, just as there are "Update" buttons.

I think the OP request to simply group containers by author would be as far as I personally would want to organize.  The forum search function, at least for me, does not work very well and I end up having to search the forum from Google.  Searching 'binhex plex' gets me exactly zero results, yet I can go to Google with those two words and find a link to the container thread as the first result.