2 x sas2008 (sas9220-8i) flashed to P11 IT, not detecting all drives

ASRock Z97 Killer

2 x sas9220-8i flashed to P11/IT

7 x 8TB WD HDDS (4 on one, 3 on other)

1 x 240 GB SanDisk SSD

Drives all show up in windows environment, and list on boot on the LSI bios.

In unraid, only the drives for one card will show up at a time.

I messed with it for 4 hours or so, reflashed both cards, no luck.  

5GYD4Bu.jpg

QCwgApt.png

wolflix-syslog-20180227-2049.zip

Edited by FrostyWolf

One of the HBAs is failing initialization, try a different PCIe slot if available, bios update might also help, failing that you'll need a different board.

Feb 27 20:49:17 wolflix kernel: mpt2sas_cm1: diag reset: FAILED
Feb 27 20:49:17 wolflix kernel: mpt2sas_cm1: failure at drivers/scsi/mpt3sas/mpt3sas_scsih.c:8942/_scsih_probe()!
Feb 27 20:49:17 wolflix kernel: random: crng init done

• Upvote 1

Well...crap.  How am I gonna tell which one is failing?  They both work fine individually, in either slot, and show up ok in windows.

I followed this here: 

to this: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Crossflashing_Controllers

and flashed what is the latest (from what I see on the wiki at least) version (LSI P11).  The motherboard bios is also up to date.

Edited by FrostyWolf

Damn I'm sorry.  I'm kinda swimming into new waters here, been using windows a long time.  It took me an embarrassingly long time just to figure out how to reflash them in the first place.  

I flashed to the latest version and I get the same issues.  Whatever raid card is in my bottom PCIE slot will not work in unraid.  My top one works fine.  Either card in the bottom one doesn't work.  I would figure a bad pci-e slot, but the motherboard is fairly new, and the option rom, motherboard bios, free nas, and windows are all showing drives from both, top and bottom. Also, when I don't have the top one plugged in...the bottom one works fine in unraid.

I'm at a loss.  I had 15 drives I wanted to use, so I need both cards.  I could RMA my motherboard...but everything seems to work except in unraid.  Anything else I can try?

Edit: Tried unraid 6.3.5, same thing.

Edited by FrostyWolf

O, I gotcha.  Well that sucks.  I really wanted to use unraid and get off windows but I don't think I can afford to rebuild the server for it, as I just spend 1,300 on hdds and have to spend another 129 for unraid.  I guess tomorrow I could try swapping boards with my main rig and seeing if I get any further, not sure what else to do.  Thank you for all your help

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

One quick thought, do you have anything plugged into PCIE1 or PCIE3 slots?  If so remove those cards and see what happens.  

Nothing else.  

9 hours ago, Perforator said:

get a 16 port card

9 hours ago, tdallen said:

Can the sas9220-8i take an expander?

These are options of course, but I'm over budget on this upgrade as is, so I'm gonna try swapping motherboards first since that's free, before I explore throwing more money at this.

EDIT: Swapping the motherboards worked! Thanks everyone.  

Edited by FrostyWolf