(solved) Unmountable: No file system

So, had some crazy events yesterday.  Long story short, had an unclean shutdown of my unraid.

Last night I quickly got it back up and running but just enough to click start and go, didn't pay much attention to anything.  This morning I noticed it was doing Parity check, which is expected after unclean shutdown, but then noticed that one of my data drives in my array said "Unmountable: No file system".  

Now I'm home from work today and trying to fix this.  I've searched forums a decent amount, and see several had similiar issues specific to cache drives in upgrading to 6.4 release candidates, but I'm on full 6.4 version, and it is a data drive.

When I stop the array, I am able to mount the drive and explore it and see all my data via a terminal.  But even after that, starting it back up in the array still gives same error.

I'm just looking for guidance on next steps to try to correct it so I can get everything working.  I thought about maybe trying New Config, but wasn't sure if that'd do it or not.

I also wasn't sure what state my parity was in since it ran over night doing parity check before I cancelled it while one drive was in this state.   I am running a dual parity setup as well. 

I haven't yet, but I also thought about starting array just with the drive "missing" to test if i could see all of the data via parity.

Thank you in advance

EDIT: added Diagnostics zip

tiger-diagnostics-20180301-1657.zip

Edited by mdoom
Added diagnostics

First of all, don't do any of the things you were thinking about doing, they are all wrong for this situation. Let us examine your diagnostics.

What exactly do you mean by this? How are you mounting the drive with the array stopped?

16 minutes ago, mdoom said:

When I stop the array, I am able to mount the drive and explore it and see all my data via a terminal.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

First of all, don't do any of the things you were thinking about doing, they are all wrong for this situation. Let us examine your diagnostics.

What exactly do you mean by this? How are you mounting the drive with the array stopped?

With array stopped, (this is drive in disk 7 spot), I change drop-down from the hard drive to "no" for disk 7, and then in the GUI under "Unassigned Devices" I am able to click "Mount".

Then via terminal I just was navigating to /mnt/disks/....  etc. and can browse all data without issue.

Probably you will have to repair the filesystem.

Your syslog has this:

Feb 28 20:30:26 Tiger emhttpd: /mnt/disk7 mount error: Unsupported partition layout

How did this disk get into the array in the first place? Did you let unRAID format it after it was added to the array, or did you force it to accept it by doing a New Config or something?

There are also some messages from your controller while trying to mount the disks. I would rather call in our expert @johnnie.black

1 minute ago, trurl said:

How did this disk get into the array in the first place? Did you let unRAID format it after it was added to the array, or did you force it to accept it by doing a New Config or something?

Its been in my array for over two years. Its a basically full 8 TB drive.  Haven't had any issues at all with it.   Just after the power outage yesterday that led to unclean shutdown (apparently my UPS backup is dead too...) , it now shows up as unmountable when the array starts.  

If it comes to rebuilding the filesystem, I guess I dont entirely know what that all entails. 

Was already taking a look, there are some weird controller errors but seam unrelated.

Unsupported partition layout is not a filesystem problem, I find it very strange this would be caused by an unclean shutdown, unless it somehow damaged the mbr, to fix it you'll need to rebuild the disk, to the same disk, or to play it safer to a spare one if available, the disk should mount if you start the array with it emulated.

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Was already taking a look, there are some weird controller errors but seam unrelated.

Unsupported partition layout is not a filesystem problem, I find it very strange this would be caused by an unclean shutdown, unless it somehow damaged the mbr, to fix it you'll need to rebuild the disk, to the same disk, or to play it safer to a spare one if available, the disk should mount if you start the array with it emulated.

So I did go ahead and just start array with it emulating that disk.  However it still shows as "Unmountable: No file system" for Disk 7, even when its emulating. :/

Just now, mdoom said:

So I did go ahead and just start array with it emulating that disk.  However it still shows as "Unmountable: No file system" for Disk 7, even when its emulating. :/

Is the unassigned disk still mounted on UD? It was on your latest diags, you can't have the same UUID mounted twice, if yes unmount and re-start the array, if not post new diags.

Well @johnnie.black, thank you very much!!  That executed successfully, i restarted array (still in emulation mode for the disk) and it comes up perfectly now.

I'll probably go ahead and move all data off to other drives and then rebuild back to original drive as 'empty'.  Or i'll just rebuild now back to it.  Either way, I think I'm good now more or less.

Make sure the content looks correct before rebuilding to the same disk, especially since you canceled the parity check after the unclean shutdown so there may be some sync errors, best way would be to rebuild to a spare disk then compare the data with the old disk using for example rsync in checksum mode.

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Make sure the content looks correct before rebuilding to the same disk, especially since you canceled the parity check after the unclean shutdown so there may be some sync errors, best way would be to rebuild to a spare disk then compare the data with the old disk using for example rsync in checksum mode.

Agreed. Truly safest option.  Thanks again!

21 hours ago, mdoom said:

With array stopped, (this is drive in disk 7 spot), I change drop-down from the hard drive to "no" for disk 7, and then in the GUI under "Unassigned Devices" I am able to click "Mount".

When you "give" disks to a disk array, it's the array that owns the disk. Never play with that disk outside the control of the array management system unless you really, really do know what you do - it's only safe to do a read-only mount of an array disk outside of the array.

A normal mount will introduce writes to the disk - there are multiple reasons but one important reason is so an incorrect power-down will leave a marker on the disk about an unclean shutdown indicating that the next time the disk is mounted the file system layer has to look at pending writes in the journal on the disk and either replay them or roll back them.

So taking an unRAID array disk and mounting it in normal read/write mode outside of the array means the write commands introduced when mounting the disk will create parity mismatches. Which means the system can't do a clean disk rebuild in case a drive fails. And the writes introduced when mounting one file system can result in very damaging rebuild errors for file systems on other disks.

• 5 months later...
On 3/2/2018 at 1:25 PM, johnnie.black said:

To compare the data you'll need to change one of the disk's UUID so they can be mounted at the same time, you can change the old disk UUID with:

xfs_admin -U generate /dev/sdX1

Then mount it with the UD plugin and run a compare.

Hei guys am facing some similar issue. An urgent help is required.