(Still NOT Solved) current pending sector is 1on new SSD Cache

Dropped a couple of these (CT500MX500SSD1) into a buddies server for a cache tier and started seeing these messages within 24 hours. Seem to be getting them sporadically now, several times a day.

Appreciate everyones feedback, nice to know it is not a failing drive on this particular model.

I will open up a ticket with them as well just to make a little more noise.

Thanks!

On 2/24/2019 at 7:40 AM, RichardU said:

Coming up on the one year anniversary of this post, I wish the OP would remove the SOLVED tag.

Keep in mind this is not an unRAID problem. This is a bug with Crucial and they have not resolved it yet. This error is reported by multiple platforms and not limited to just unRAID. I'm actually considering abandoning these devices and going with Samsung.

In the meantime, disabling attribute 197 works around the problem and silences the false positives. You still have attributes being watched to keep track of reallocated sectors (you're not totally blind to a drive going bad).

Another one over here. New CX500 500GB drive. About three weeks old. Getting the error since installing. I use it for my plex appdata (got tired of the mover taking forever when upgrading cache drives). This is going to make me avoid Cruicial SSDs for a while.  Never had an error with any of my samsungs, SPs, or Sandisks. Some are 3-4 years old.

• 1 month later...

Chock this up for another person with the issue. Will open a ticket with crucial as well as this is annoying.

I have 8 of 1tb mx500's, all bought at different times over the past few years. The 4 I have in unraid all periodically report "current pending sector is 1" and then clear. Immediately after reporting field 197 of smart shows 0, so it must resolve very quickly.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

How are you using those 4 SSDs in Unraid? SSDs are great for the cache pool, but SSDs are not recommended in the parity array.

4 SSD's in raid 10 for cache pool. I have 8x 10tb shucked WD whites for spinners/array with 2 parity drives of those.

I haven't noticed the error on my esxi cluster, might not have the smart notifications setup right on that, or it is because it is on a dell h710 controller doing hardware raid in a dell r720xd and that error may not be noticed on the h710

The other 4 mx500's I have are on a ESXI cluster. (I have way too many servers about ~200 TB total, ESXI, Unraid, Freenas, Synology)

Edited by Zervun
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, I have one of these in my cache pool. it is was less than one week old when I began receiving the notifications...I pulled the drive and connected it to a windows machine to update the firmware after reading this thread. only to find that it has the current M3CR0023 firmware. I have disabled notifications of attribute 197 as suggested in this post... I probably can return the drive to amazon since it is so new, but I don't want to bother if there is no consequence. anyone have a recommendation?

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Kash76 said:

I purchased two of these drives and am getting the same error. Can someone please help me, where do we disable this warning?

On 4/8/2019 at 11:47 AM, johnnie.black said:

You can just disable that attribute monitoring, it's what I do.

Click on the disk from the Main Tab

Edited by Squid
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

A few weeks ago I bought a 1TB MX500 for my personal system [i7-3770/32GB RAM/H77/GTX1050Ti/Win 7 x64 SP1] to replace a combo of a smaller SSD and an HDD. My MX500 also has this weird behavior when occasionally the drive reports attribute #197 (Current Pending Sector Count) to go from 0 to 1, but in a few minutes, it changes back to 0. Reallocation Event Count (#196) never changes and always stays at 0.

GYuMjX5.pngbwBrVut.png

I have never seen anything like this with any SSD that I had a chance to use. My other SSDs have 10s of thousands of hours of active use and 10s of TB of lifetime writes but not a single one of them have pending sector(s) in the log files, including my trusty Crucial M4 that I've been using since 2011, whereas my MX500 has only 0.68TB lifetime writes and only 91 hours of active time but already had 3 events of pending sector. I wonder what causes this? And if it's indeed just a firmware bug then why Crucial hasn't fixed this to this day, after more than 18 month of MX500 being on the market?

On 4/30/2019 at 5:04 PM, RichardU said:

There is no consequence that I know of other than the nagging feeling that it is not right.

True that.

Edited by dr0
  • 1 month later...

Any news about this? My MX500 is arriving in a couple of days and I know I will have this problem, but it was a good deal and the performance is close to the Samsung drives. Any script to turn off the warnings as unnasigned device (keeping the monitoring of other unnasigned devices on). Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Fraih said:

Any news about this?

Crucial says this is normal and there will be no firmware fix.  I actually read the Crucial statement on this.  They say this is normal in SSDs.  No other SSD on the planet has this issue (including other Crucial models), but, somehow it is "normal" on the MX500.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:12 PM, Hoopster said:

Crucial says this is normal and there will be no firmware fix.  I actually read the Crucial statement on this.  They say this is normal in SSDs.  No other SSD on the planet has this issue (including other Crucial models), but, somehow it is "normal" on the MX500.

It's a shame... But as long as the SSD works as expected I guess it's not too bad. It would be nice to be able to desactivate the attribute 197 having the disk as unnasigned device, hopefully the plugin will be updated with that feature some day...

Edited by Fraih
Just now, Fraih said:

It would be nice to be able to desactivate the attribute 197 having the disk as unnasigned device, hopefully the plugin will be updated with that capability some day

You can work around that, disable 197 on general disk settings and then enable it individually on every array/cache device, though if you have more unassigned devices it won't be monitored on those. 

9 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You can work around that, disable 197 on general disk settings and then enable it individually on every array/cache device, though if you have more unassigned devices it won't be monitored on those. 

Yeah, but I wanted to avoid disabling that attribute on my unnasigned mechanical disks :(

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...