Is the unraid community (or product) dying?

RokleM

18 hours ago, hawihoney said:

Does search work here in the forum? Never received a match. I consider it broken.

This morning I was searching for "rsync ssh". No match. Had to google it with "unraid rsync ssh". Lots of matches.

I’ve had issues with the search function myself.  Maybe I like you am doing it wrong.  Haven’t had time to really look into it.

If you search for example your terms rsync ssh, the search will return with no hits and your search terms as rsync+ssh.  In that search box replace the + with a space and search again and then you will get results.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, Perforator said:

To be honest the search here stinks. I get better results using Google.

Not sure of any forum in existence that can get better search results than Google.

Which is why this forum should have the search button create a google search for this site instead of wasting peoples time with failed searches.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with the people about the search. The search function used to work but now, I get no results 99% of the time. I needed to check about the time being wrong on a docker. I couldn't remember what to look for. Docker timezone and docker wrong time got 0 results. had to google them to get the topics in the forums. 

• Upvote 1

From my experience, the UNRAID forums are by far one of the better experiences you'd find for a product support forum, especially if you start digging into the nitty gritty bits with creating scripts/VM/Docker stuff. Developers tend to support other developers here because we all benefit from it. That's also true from the standard user front though probably to a little lesser degree.

There's a bit of passion given to UNRAID as it has let us store data that is important to us and keep that data secure.

I've seen people say that they should search for it for questions that are asked quite frequently but typically because it's an easy to find issue that gives more detail than the person had at the time.

I am more concerned about the product itself. AFAICT its still developed by one main developer (Tom), is that true? And there isn't really an alternative to unRaid which is why users tend to be so passionate. I don't know if LT makes a lot of money but my guess is not since the product hasn't really grown in popularity over the years from what I can tell, maybe its just such a niche market? But a lot of the cool things that make unRaid great have come from the community and IMO it deserves to be better known.

57 minutes ago, MrCrispy said:

I am more concerned about the product itself. AFAICT its still developed by one main developer (Tom), is that true? And there isn't really an alternative to unRaid which is why users tend to be so passionate. I don't know if LT makes a lot of money but my guess is not since the product hasn't really grown in popularity over the years from what I can tell, maybe its just such a niche market? But a lot of the cool things that make unRaid great have come from the community and IMO it deserves to be better known.

I am happy to report the product is alive and well; but, our marketing efforts? Not so much.  (Anyone wants to help with this send me an email: [email protected])

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MrCrispy said:

the product hasn't really grown in popularity over the years

As a user since 2012, I think that from the posts / users I see in the forums, the user base is increasing, faster over the last year or so (unRaid 6+) than during previous years.

1 hour ago, limetech said:

I am happy to report the product is alive and well; but, our marketing efforts? Not so much.  (Anyone wants to help with this send me an email: [email protected])

When I look at how sales of NAS devices like Synlogy/Qnap are alive and flourishing, and how more are more people are actually building a NAS (on many online forums and communities such as Reddit) it pains me to see unRaid isn't more popular. I think there is plenty of room. 

One simple thing I can think off the top of my head is to partner with some oem's or sites like Amazon/Newegg, and offer unRaid + prebuilt pc with say 4 drive bays, as an option in the NAS section.

I know LT used to sell hardware solutions and other companies also partnered but those sections of the forum are long dead.

2 hours ago, Squid said:

As a user since 2012, I think that from the posts / users I see in the forums, the user base is increasing, faster over the last year or so (unRaid 6+) than during previous years.

It is definitely increasing, and rightly so.

Besides the addition of docker/kvm support, there have been a number of very important base improvements - version 5 didn't have the mail and SMART management suitable for commercial use.

After a very, very long time in beta, version 6 has finally bloomed into a very competitive product.

If you come to think about it, with unRAID you can run Linux/Windows/macOS on a single hardware (even with not that big of a deal hardware).

These last few years ... perhaps content consumption has shifted towards streaming, but ... you don't really control that streaming, #Netflix in particular, can pull the table under your favorite tv show/movie whenever.

It was a great move to go for dockers/vms, I'm not sure any other solution out there comes close to unRAID in terms of usability and user experience.

It's also fair to say that some push from users/contributors 'steered' these changes, which is why the forum community still has a big role.

unRAID #FTW !

Edited by jbrodriguez

What? I've been here since very early.. when unRAID was very non-user friendly. The community is growing rapidly, and the software and site is incredibly better. With dockers and VMs, there literally nothing you can't do on an unRAID server. 

Edited by tyrindor

I have to agree with @MrCrispy about COTS NAS units.  In the past few years they've come on leaps and bounds.  With Intel-based SOCs they can run Dockers, VMs, do Plex & Emby transcoding, and have great performance.  I have a QNAP TS-453BMini here, and really I could probably run it instead of my Ryzen-based unRAID box if I put big enough disks in it.

On 3/8/2018 at 7:10 AM, pwm said:

Not sure of any forum in existence that can get better search results than Google.

Which is why this forum should have the search button create a google search for this site instead of wasting peoples time with failed searches.

I wanted to find out when first joined here. Take a look at my last post on this thread:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/10774-solved-how-to-remove-password/?tab=comments#comment-106724