USB Drive issue

On 3/28/2018 at 9:59 PM, Frank1940 said:

I have a wild thought.  Download version 6.3.5 and create a USB drive using that version see if it boots.  If it does boot, then copy over the bz* files from the version that you wnat to use and see if that boots.  

If that doesn't work, let me look for an earlier version.  (I use a UBS-to-SD_Card adapter with a valid GUID.)  I could e-mail you a copy of it.  

Just tried manually creating a disk for 6.3.5 and it still fails.    What is confusing me is the fact that When I first tried the trial version in November of last year, the hardware was identical, I downloaded the current version as of November, made a disk with the creator tool and it just worked. No special settings or anything.  Now, no disks I make work and I can no longer get my trial drive to boot either.

I just cannot understand why one day it boots and the next it doesn't. I honestly cannot think of anything that changed.

4 minutes ago, rctneil said:

Now, no disks I make work and I can no longer get my trial drive to boot either.

You've changed a lot of BIOS settings back and forth in your experimenting. It might be worth clearing the CMOS and starting again from a known state. I like to keep notes as I change things.

5 minutes ago, John_M said:

You've changed a lot of BIOS settings back and forth in your experimenting. It might be worth clearing the CMOS and starting again from a known state. I like to keep notes as I change things.

I have tried a complete reset of the BIOS and nothing I do works

14 hours ago, rctneil said:

Not 100% sure yet but not gaming.   Any recommendations for changes I should make?

Since no one else has jumped in, I will offer an opinion.  With that CPU choice, your windows 10 VM will have a performance level on a par with an I3 processor when you are transcoding  one Plex stream.  

I am also assuming that you have read this section of the WIKI about VM's:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/UnRAID_6/VM_Management

There are a several ways to do VM's (as I understand it) and you have to decide which one you want to use.  The one with the most stringent requirements is when you want a full blown VM with all hardware and to be running as though it were on bare metal.  It can be done but the choice of hardware is much more limited.  And from I have gleamed from browsing the forums, proper choice of hardware makes the job much, much less of a headache. I think your approach of replacing your current hardware is a excellent idea  It is always fun to experiment  around trying to force a piece of equipment to do something is was never designed to do. (Although, in this case, I believe something has in the current boot loader that makes it incompatible with the hardware.)

34 minutes ago, John_M said:

Yes, very. All I can suggest now is to try an even earlier version of unRAID. If I can find the installer zip for one of the 6.2 versions I'll put it in my Dropbox and add the link. Or maybe @Frank1940 can find one of his.

Yes, I did look and I have a Flash Drive that has version 6.0-b14 on it.  If you want to try that send me a message with your email address and I will get it to you.  The flash drive has the complete setup for my computer at that point in time (I was running a AMD sempron 140 then) so I will have to delete a few files and directories so you don't do a WTF when you boot it up.  O.o

Edited by Frank1940

This is the installer for version 6.2.4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oac7pzzpo07hlbr/unRAIDServer-6.2.4-x86_64.zip?dl=0

EDIT: In case you want to try it, here's the installer for 6.1.2, the oldest version of unRAID 6 I have and the one that ran on my old ECS motherboard: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5gqvaffemqtg9i/unRAIDServer-6.1.2-x86_64.zip?dl=0

Edited by John_M
Added another link

Will give that a go when I get back.   Would a i7-7700 be a better choice CPU?   Also, can you reccomend a decnet motherboard, I'd like ti to have an Intel nic which is ok to find but i'd also prefer an onboard USB port but this is not 100% required.

Any suggestions?

5 minutes ago, rctneil said:

Will give that a go when I get back.   Would a i7-7700 be a better choice CPU?   Also, can you reccomend a decnet motherboard, I'd like ti to have an Intel nic which is ok to find but i'd also prefer an onboard USB port but this is not 100% required.

Any suggestions?

I would like to recommend that you post up a new thread in this sub-forum and ask this same question with a link to your proposed pcpartspicker list.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/forum/15-motherboards-and-cpus/

This way the focus of the discussion and the thread area should attract folks who have some real insight into the selection process for a system to meet your needs.  In a sense, you have 'hijacked' your own thread by introducing a second line of inquiry!   Since this line of discussion was introduced almost as an aside but is still quite important, a new thread is really the way to proceed.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

I would like to recommend that you post up a new thread in this sub-forum and ask this same question with a link to your proposed pcpartspicker list.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/forum/15-motherboards-and-cpus/

This way the focus of the discussion and the thread area should attract folks who have some real insight into the selection process for a system to meet your needs.  In a sense, you have 'hijacked' your own thread by introducing a second line of inquiry!   Since this line of discussion was introduced almost as an aside but is still quite important, a new thread is really the way to proceed.  

Yes, I suppose I have just hijacked my own topic. Oh well, new topic created in the correct place.  I'm still going to try that old build next time i'm back home but very very seriously considering new hardware.

Thankyou so much,

Neil

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, rctneil said:

I ended up buy entirely new hardware. I was going to anyway so just brought it forwards a bit.  The new hardware totally eliminated the issue.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. I hope you do get it sorted as I realise how frustrating of a problem it is.

No worries. Actually, I kinda feel dumb now, but I solved my issue. About 1 a.m. in the morning I decided to create the USB boot drive on my wife's Mac, which is still running High Sierra. My computer is running Mojave. Apparently, that was the issue. The current steps to create a boot device on Mojave don't work.