LGA1151 Z270 Help

I posted in the Hardware section

but I think this section is more appropriate to the decisions I need to make at this point.

I am struggling with making a decision on a CPU & Mobo combo.  Here is my build thus far -> https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HYMdCb

1 Windows VM for ripping my blurays to MKV with H.264 using Ripbot264 and as a daily driver.  Plex Docker with 1-3 streams Max.  No gaming at this time.

I am now looking at the 7700k ($390 CAD) or the 8700k ($460 CAD).  7700k is 4.2GHz with 4 Core & 8700k is 3.7GHz with 6 Cores.  So do I go for higher clock rate and less cores or more cores & lower clock rate?

Next is the Mobo, I was originally looking at the Asrock Z270 Extreme4 cause of the 8 Sata Ports & Asmedia ASM1061 Sata-Controller ($223 CAD) or I could go with a cheaper 6 Sata Port MB and when more storage is needed buy a PCI expanstion slot for more SATA ports.  Are there any pros/cons either way?

Maybe I should go 8700k with Asus - Prime Z370-A, has 6 Sata ports & $200 CAD  - Would save me $25 towards the 8700k

Just looking for some comments/opinions?

Thanks

Edited by XtyX
On 3/4/2018 at 11:51 AM, XtyX said:

7700k is 4.2GHz with 4 Core & 8700k is 3.7GHz with 6 Cores.  So do I go for higher clock rate and less cores or more cores & lower clock rate?

If you went with an 8700K you'll need a 300 series chipset, so the Asrock Z270 won't work (if you decide on 8th-gen cpu), just FYI.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:51 AM, XtyX said:

Next is the Mobo, I was originally looking at the Asrock Z270 Extreme4 cause of the 8 Sata Ports & Asmedia ASM1061 Sata-Controller ($223 CAD) or I could go with a cheaper 6 Sata Port MB and when more storage is needed buy a PCI expanstion slot for more SATA ports.  Are there any pros/cons either way?

Functionally there isn't a performance difference good or bad to swing you in direction. My recomendation would be to make a pro/cons list for each board setup and make a decision from that.

My two cents. Good luck. :)

Edited by Jcloud