Unraid 6.4.0 - unraid server name resolution not correct

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right spot to post.

Been having a lot of challenges (fun) getting vlan and docker configuration working.

Finally close to getting it all done, when I notice that I can no longer reach my unraid server via its name "unraidserver".  Only via IP address.

I have the server sitting on the default management vlan with a static IP of 192.168.1.8

and VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 configured as well.

When I try to ping the server using its name it resolves to 10.1.20.23 (which unraid says is the IPv4 address of VLAN 20)

The ping times out.

I also setup an recurring ping on the servername and watched while the unraid server restarted, part way through the reboot process I did start to get a response from 10.1.20.23 (but then it dropped out again as the server finished its boot).

Ultimately I want to be able to have "unraidserver" resolve to 192.168.1.8.  Is this possible?

First I recommend you upgrade to unRAID 6.4.1

Next, you can configure your VLANs without IP address (choose "none"), this would leave the unRAID server with just a single IP address.

If you have Docker containers using a VLAN, then go to Docker settings and set the network assignments for that VLAN and to be used by Docker.

Thanks.  Done this.

Checking the network and docker settings I can't see any reference to 10.1.20.23 anymore, however when I try to ping "unraidserver" it still resolves to that.

Same after a reboot. 

Is this setting stuck somewhere else?

On a side note, I have also set static IP addresses for all the docker containers - Is there a way to set hostnames for these as well?

34 minutes ago, rennige said:

Is this setting stuck somewhere else?

Did you reboot your Windows PC?

I also would recommend to set your unRAID as the local master and leave it in control for name resolution. See settings -> SMB -> Workgroup Settings -> Local master browser.

To ensure unRAID always wins the local master election, create the file smb-extra.conf in the /config folder on your flash device and put this information:

[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

There is no possbility for container hostnames within unRAID itself. The easiest access to containers is from the unRAID GUI and click on 'WebUI' from the dropdown menu.

Edited by bonienl