Dealing with unclean shutdowns

47 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That sounds like something @limetech ought to at least investigate.

Thanks. I thought I'd ask because it seems so obvious and repeatable that I thought it might just be a "feature". I'd file a bug report if I could. I'm getting a 404 error at the moment though - already mentioned in the "Welcome to unraid.net" thread.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had to do a couple "power off shutdowns". A problem with the ethernet port of the supermicro mobo, rendered

the server unavailable via the normal admin webpage or SSH/telnet. It's a big Norco array of 20 disks, so at some point

I just had to "flip the switch". A few other attempts to re-establish connectivity similarly failed.

I then did a mobo replacement, so now the ethernet config file for the unraid kernel needs to be changed (I'll use nano on a raspberry pi to

do this-reset to default on the USB stick). What should I do or expect when the machine boots? I don't have backups, so if the array comes

up damaged, I don't want to do  more damage. What are the recommendations for recovering raid integrity at this point?

• 3 months later...

Perhaps I am missing a big piece of the issue of an unclean shutdown.

A power failure will cause an unclean shutdown. This will create massive parity errors.

Does that mean if I lose a data drive in a power failure and parity is now erroneous, I won't be able to reconstruct my damage drive?

14 minutes ago, tunetyme said:

Perhaps I am missing a big piece of the issue of an unclean shutdown.

A power failure will cause an unclean shutdown. This will create massive parity errors.

Does that mean if I lose a data drive in a power failure and parity is now erroneous, I won't be able to reconstruct my damage drive?

It depends on the power failure.    Typically it will only be a few and they are likely to refer to any write in progress at the time of failure.

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, RxLord said:

Please help...I am having issues with my Unraid system and unclean shutdowns.  I am not a computer programmer. Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20190803-0233.zip 180.6 kB · 0 downloads

Please describe in detail exactly what the circumstances are that involved in your unclean shutdowns.  (Server 'crashing', normal attempt to shutdown the server, etc.) 

Server is rebooting/crashing on it own. if I look at my terminal it says "kernel panic not syncing" then i goes thru the normal reboot process. When it reboot I get the unclean error so I reboot the system and restart the array. If I don't reboot the system, parity check will start and it reboots again without completing the parity check.

7 hours ago, RxLord said:

Server is rebooting/crashing on it own. if I look at my terminal it says "kernel panic not syncing" then i goes thru the normal reboot process. When it reboot I get the unclean error so I reboot the system and restart the array. If I don't reboot the system, parity check will start and it reboots again without completing the parity check.

You are running 6.7.2 which has a new feature for  use in cases like this called "Syslog Server".  To use it go to   Settings   >>   Syslog Server   and Enable 'Mirror syslog to flash:'.    (The 'Help' feature in the GUI will provide you with more information.)  That file may provide more information to the real Gurus.  Did you do any hardware upgrades just before this all started?  Any other system  configuration or modifications?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, KoNeko said:

i did a normal reboot via the Gui on unraid and i got the warning

Parity Check Tuning
Automatic unRaid Non-Correcting Parity Check will be started
Unclean shutdown detected
warning

i dont have any VM currently running they are off and only 6 dockers online.

did an automatic check actually start?    The reason I am asking is that in testing I occasionally get the plugin outputting that warning and the automatic check does not actually start.    I have not identified the exact conditions where the plugin thinks it was an unclean shutdown but UnRaid decides it was not.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

did an automatic check actually start?    The reason I am asking is that in testing I occasionally get the plugin outputting that warning and the automatic check does not actually start.    I have not identified the exact conditions where the plugin thinks it was an unclean shutdown but UnRaid decides it was not.

yes the partiy check did start automaticly.

1 minute ago, KoNeko said:

yes the partiy check did start automaticly.

Thanks for letting me know.

You should only get an unclean shutdown if one of the shutdown timeouts trigger.  I would suggest you try hitting the button to Stop the array and time how long it takes.   You need to make sure the Disk Settings -> shutdown timeout setting is longer than that.

13 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Thanks for letting me know.

You should only get an unclean shutdown if one of the shutdown timeouts trigger.  I would suggest you try hitting the button to Stop the array and time how long it takes.   You need to make sure the Disk Settings -> shutdown timeout setting is longer than that.

i did increase the timing somewhat but that is a good idea to time that.

Will do that once the check is done in a day or 2 or so

1 minute ago, KoNeko said:

i did increase the timing somewhat but that is a good idea to time that.

Will do that once the check is done in a day or 2 or so

My experience is that any errors in such a situation as yours tend to be at the start of the parity check so it is not always necessary to run it to the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there

i have some major problem with my new server setup.

server in GUI mode and successfully setup two win10 vms with gpu passtrough.

3 external USB to NVME drives out of two is on the same controller and passtrough to Win10 vm #1 and one ext drive is showed in unraid as unassigned device with the "pass" option enabled and used as a vitrual drive on the Win10 VM #2.

at rebooting first the reboot splash screen appears time counting until localhost is losing the connecting then nothing happends. 

i can still access the terminal window and using command "shutdown -t 5 now" forces the server to action but only until its trying to allocate the unraid usb flash drive and then nothing, forceing me to hard reset the server everytime.

can the problem be with the external drive on the controller managed by unraid as rebooting the server with that drive disconnected works?

issue also posted for support in the unnassigned devices plugin forum

very much apprecietad if someone can have a look at the diagnostic file 

galactica-diagnostics-20210831-1030.zip

Edited by TIE Fighter
On 8/31/2021 at 3:51 PM, trurl said:

What have you already tried that was discussed in this thread you have posted in?

at this moment manually before soft reboot the server

- stopped the two VM:s before rebooting.

- rebooting with external nvme to usb drive attached and unplugged 

- unmount smb shares

- stopped dockers

- increased the timer in  Settings->Disk Settings->Shutdown time-out to: 420s

- increased VM shutdown time-out: 300s

at the moment i am doing a Parity-Sync / data rebuild from this morning when i have to replace an old data drive so i am unable to try to reboot at the moment.

Edited by TIE Fighter

@trurl 

parity rebuild completed manually stopped the vms and dockers.

one docker was not possible to stop and forced the array to not be put offline.

for future knowledge it was a docker that i added from github rep that manage the HBA Card Adaptec 71605.

i only use this to monitor the temp of the card.

hard rebooted and stopped the docker from autostart.

now been trying a cuple of shutdown and reboot attempts and everything seems ok.

cheers