dlandon

Dealing with unclean shutdowns

55 posts in this topic Last Reply

47 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That sounds like something @limetech ought to at least investigate.

Thanks. I thought I'd ask because it seems so obvious and repeatable that I thought it might just be a "feature". I'd file a bug report if I could. I'm getting a 404 error at the moment though - already mentioned in the "Welcome to unraid.net" thread.

Thanks for this guide there was some information that I didn't know for example if you have a terminal window open what causes a unclean shutdown. 

7 hours ago, MvL said:

terminal window open what causes a unclean shutdown. 

only if it's working directory is /mnt/user/...

But you can also install the StopShell app to have it close out any terminal sessions during a shutdown procedure

I've had to do a couple "power off shutdowns". A problem with the ethernet port of the supermicro mobo, rendered

the server unavailable via the normal admin webpage or SSH/telnet. It's a big Norco array of 20 disks, so at some point

I just had to "flip the switch". A few other attempts to re-establish connectivity similarly failed.

I then did a mobo replacement, so now the ethernet config file for the unraid kernel needs to be changed (I'll use nano on a raspberry pi to

do this-reset to default on the USB stick). What should I do or expect when the machine boots? I don't have backups, so if the array comes

up damaged, I don't want to do  more damage. What are the recommendations for recovering raid integrity at this point?

It should just boot up and recognize your disks assuming your flash drive is OK. You can just delete config/network.cfg and it will create a new default one. You might edit config/disk.cfg to turn autostart off just so you can check the assignments before starting the array.