rmilyard

Help with Plex hardware transcoding

63 posts in this topic Last Reply

This guide has helped me get this sorted for Emby, thanks everyone.

10 hours ago, Lebowski said:

This guide has helped me get this sorted for Emby, thanks everyone.

And for me with Plex, thanks all.

I've followed this but I've had no luck whatsoever. I have a i7-7700 on an ASUS Prime B250M-A board. I've set it to CPU graphics and enabled multi-monitor. I've added the needed lines to the go file. I've even changed the syslinux.cfg that I found on reddit. It will not load the drivers. This is what I get:

root@Tower:/dev/dri# ls -1
by-path/
card0
renderD128

This is what I have in the go file:

#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915

chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

I added this to the syslinux.cfg

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel /bzimage

append pci=realloc=off initrd=/bzroot i915.alpha_support=1

and I've added --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

It will not load the drivers. When I try and load it through terminal I get:

chmod: cannot access '/dev/dri': No such file or directory

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

4 minutes ago, jwiese997 said:

I

and I've added --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

It will not load the drivers. When I try and load it through terminal I get:

chmod: cannot access '/dev/dri': No such file or directory

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Did you follow the update in my previous post? I had to add the device to the docker container. Specifying it in extra parameters doesn’t seem to work anymore.

Edited by nickp85

Just now, nickp85 said:

Did you follow the update in my previous post. I had to add the device to the docker container. Specifying it in extra parameters doesn’t seem to work anymore.

How do I do that? Sorry, I'm still learning.

1 minute ago, jwiese997 said:

How do I do that? Sorry, I'm still learning.

Add a video device to the Plex container with a value of /dev/dri:/dev/dri.  I also hope you rebooted your server after making the other config changes.

Lastly, hw transcode is only available to Plex Pass users so make sure you are a Plex Pass member.

image.thumb.png.d829dcad2cb4d1158621b530d1954fb2.png

image.png.6ba4ed2ca41b7406d8a7038076a2f7f2.png

image.png.64e0cae307cb0d6746f49ed1528e49de.png

12 minutes ago, nickp85 said:

Add a video device to the Plex container with a value of /dev/dri:/dev/dri.  I also hope you rebooted your server after making the other config changes.

Lastly, hw transcode is only available to Plex Pass users so make sure you are a Plex Pass member.

image.thumb.png.d829dcad2cb4d1158621b530d1954fb2.png

image.png.6ba4ed2ca41b7406d8a7038076a2f7f2.png

image.png.64e0cae307cb0d6746f49ed1528e49de.png

Yep, that finally did it. Thanks so much. I'm looking to add in a p2000 quadro before too long. Will I need to undo all of this at that time?

3 minutes ago, jwiese997 said:

Yep, that finally did it. Thanks so much. I'm looking to add in a p2000 quadro before too long. Will I need to undo all of this at that time?

I'm pretty sure it's been said there is no support for nvidia with hardware transcoding to a docker container.  You'd have to use your CPU.  But now that you're doing hardware transcode, should not have any issues running multiple streams and such.  I had a friend streaming a 4K HDR movie transcoded down to 1080p while I was playing a game on my Windows 10 VM (nvidia GPU passthrough) and the CPU hit from what he was doing was unnoticeable in my game.  I have an 8700K so only one generation later.

Yeah, Plex says CPU only:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Edited by nickp85

29 minutes ago, nickp85 said:

Specifying it in extra parameters doesn’t seem to work anymore.

Must be hardware/config-specific.  I still have the dev/dri device info in Extra Parameters.  It has always been there and continues to work through all Plex updates.

I am glad that adding it as a device worked for you and others if, for some reason, it's not doing the job in Extra Parameters.

Some clarifications that I've found:

1. If you are using an IPMI board that has console redirection, odds are that you will lose remote console to enable this
  2. You /can/ use an NVidia card, but it has to be passed through to a VM.  If you use a GTX/RTX you can only get 2 streams, if you use a P2000 you can do 15+ with ease
    1. The VM must be windows, as Linux doesn't support both encode and decode in hardware with Nvidia (As stated above in thread)
  3. Even with hardware transcoding there are issues:
    1. Plex does not properly deal with HDR, so if you are transcoding 4k TV you should be fine, but 4k Movies with HDR will look like /crap/ when transcoded (Colors totally washed out, not even worth watching IMHO).  No update from Plex on if this is even going to be addressed.
    2. A lot of devices have issues with profiles at this point.  For instance, I can transcode a 4k HDR movie to 720p at 8x+ speeds, UNLESS it is transcoding for my kids Firestick and then it is stuck at .8 (So buffering with one core on the CPU at 100%).  This is something to do with the available profiles plex sees for that client.  FTR: Shield and Roku all seem to work cleanly....TV apps are hit and miss.

I just wanted to toss this up here, as it seems a lot of people find this thread when looking into HW transcoding...you can find more details scattered about the forums on each of these issues with a search!

Edited by Tybio

Hi @Tybio,

If you're using an Intel iGPU and are having issues with 4k transcoding, you can use a docker container to make sure your iGPU isn't being maxed out.

More info here:

On 3/8/2018 at 7:22 AM, Hoopster said:
To enable hardware transcoding in Plex, do the following:

Also, you need some entries in your go file like this (after entering these commands in the CLI):

#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

And in your Plex server Transcoder Settings page you need to enable hardware acceleration

Could you elaborate on the "Go file" entries ? where is this file located?

Also what CLI command? the above id for the "Go file" right?

I am Running the Linux Plex docker - Do I need any key's in the new version to enable Plex Pass?

Also would the release value: latest is that the same as Beta?

Sorry I have been looking for some video or dummy guide to get this working but so far no luck ;-)

As always all help is much appreciated - I am a long time Enterprise Synology user, but the freedom using UNRAID is really great!

7 minutes ago, casperse said:

Could you elaborate on the "Go file" entries ? where is this file located?

Answered in this very same (short) thread: