deleted

I purchased this tuner to help centralize my setup - and I knew I was in for a fight, but was encouraged by some forum posts I had found online, so I pulled the trigger and bought the tuner.

This is specifically for unRaid 6.4.1 / Official Plex / Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD ATSC, but should work with modification in other setups. The process is actually quite simple once you remove all the trial and error.

1. download CA if you haven't already (really, why don't you have this?)

2. install unRaid DVB Edition

3. choose the TBS (Open Source) for the version of unRaid you prefer

4. you must reboot unraid, so take this opportunity to install the TVTuner

5. edit your plex docker

6. "Add another Path, Port, Variable, or Device"

7. choose "Device" and name it whatever you like (I chose TVTuner)

8. the "Value" should be /dev/dvb/ (if you click in the field, it should drop down to show you the dvb folder... also, if you want to check that your TVTuner is indeed showing up, open the DVB folder. You should see 4 folders labeled adapter0 through adapter3.)

9. click apply

10. profit

It really is that simple. Nothing is labeled for ATSC tuners, and no forum post I have found spells this out. the plugin looks like it is for DVB only, the version you choose looks like it is for DVB only, but once you select it, you will see the inclusion of ATSC tuners. Really, this labeling needs to be addressed, but in the end - the functionality is there, even if it is buried.

I suspect it's likely to work with the LibreELEC drivers if not immediately but soon as I've had contact with the dev of the hauppage drivers and they've been pushed upstream to the kernel.

There's nothing revolutionary about getting any TV device to work on Unraid provided the drivers are in the Linux kernel, it should just work.

I don't think the labelling needs addressing FWIW, after all the device you're passing through is identical to what is described in the DVB plugin thread. /dev/dvb/

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Bit2Byte said:

It didn't "just work" - or I wouldn't have felt the need to post this. I never said what I did was "revolutionary". I just wanted to put the process in simple step by step form for others who might try it.

There is nothing in the "DVB Unraid" plugin or forum posts that gives you any impression that it will work for ATSC Tuners until you go digging...... And why does it have to be cryptic at all? If the same drivers work for both, then just say TVTuner. But please don't listen to someone who had to work through this process from scratch without any of the tribal knowledge you enjoy.

OK, drop the attitude, you are clearly taking my post in the wrong way.  The revolutionary I was referring to was the work I do on it.  Not your write up.

First of all, if you'd asked for help, you probably would have got it, it's only cryptic because Linux is fundamentally different in the way drivers are handled than on Windows.  You haven't done the process from scratch as you installed the plugin and used the builds I've scripted with my "tribal" knowledge.....

My "tribal" knowledge is that of someone who knew no Linux at all 2 years ago and spent a long long time, working on TV tuners to satisfy my own need to use a DVB card in Unraid, and we're talking hours and hours, every night for weeks.  I'm not an IT professional by trade, nothing could be farther from the truth.

I no longer have a TV card, and no longer need the DVB builds myself, but I continue to do so, which you're benefiting from.  And quite frankly, having the gall to bitch about what it's called, makes me feel like dropping it and let you really build it from scratch, and recompile the kernel every damn time, do the make menuconfig and select the right modules.

A thanks may not go amiss you know.  I called it DVB because that's what it's called in Europe and I never really thought much about it, but if you'd posted in the DVB plugin thread, which you clearly found, installed and downloaded a build from you may have got some help.

Edited by CHBMB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1